What's new
What's new

Kan Ban inventory Management

Fitzmach

Plastic
Anyone use an easy software for Kan Ban Inventory Management?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As an aside, I understand using words from a foreign language when there's no applicable English word, but why use Japanese words for simple stuff like this? It reminds me of Lean using "muda" and "mura" instead of "non-value added" and "uneven". It seems silly.

As an aside, I understand using words from a foreign language when there's no applicable English word, but why use Japanese words for simple stuff like this? It reminds me of Lean using "muda" and "mura" instead of "non-value added" and "uneven". It seems silly.

Do you mean like hors d'oeuvre, cart blanche, caveat emptor, ad naseam...? No we never use foreign words in our language!

The reason we use a foreign word is that there is no single English word for "visual replenishment". When it gets low, you fill 'er up! The reality of true Kanban is that you don't need software, you just need eyes. Here's the way it works (basically one of these):

1. Have a vendor come in and replenish what is low (usually used for simple stuff like fasteners). Ideally your 1/4-20 nut is stocked in the several places that you use it so you don't have to order the box, wait for the box, receive the box, open the box, distribute the box and then go to Home Depot because all of a sudden you're out.

2. Have a "supermarket" where the upstream process (e.g. a cut/punch/form cell) makes parts on a daily basis to replenish what's been used.

3. Have a card system that goes to the buyer (who places an order with the supplier) and let's people know that it's on order.

There's many other variations but those are the three that I've seen as the most used and easiest to implement.

Good luck,
The Dude

after we get past those with knotted shorts over foriegn words, whats the recommend software? and how is the software not really just an MRP system (balance production and don't let me run out)? (that'll make 'em mental, a quick leap from foriegn words to acronyms :eek: :D)

Basically have numerous parts ready on the shelf to be pulled when the customer wants (in our case 8 months from the date they pull the quantity needed

Cept when they say you need to keep 20 on the shelf and they order the 20, and another 20 the next day...

It is meant for larger more integrated partners, like when you make parts for a car company and you are delivering 100 a day.

Having warehouse for 100 of everything would be onerous, so you build it as you go.

But smaller companies try this as a buzzword and it does not work

Unless, as mentioned, it is for hardware and the like

not to mention, even if you do build up a stock of an item, if they issue a rev change, you get to eat them all.
For a supplier, it a loose/ loose.

disagree. Of course you have to be on the ball to negotiate it properly, but I sell it all the time as a way to differentiate us. I'll stock your parts/products and instead of 3 week delivery you get it in a day. All you have to do is give me exclusive supply, we agree on a min/max stocking level, a forecast and if there is a revision or you want to use a different vendor you let me know to stop making them and take out my stock first. How nice is it to be able to balance productions loads, capture the customer's business and avoid the constant time wasting race to bottom on bidding it?

There you go again.

Just get a copy of Dr Deming's library, all you'll need to know about how to do this sort of thing on *your* terms. Your customer is passing inventory costs to you without paying for it. You want software to make robbing you easier? It's inventory control stuff, been around for years.

Back