What's new
What's new

LED dilemma

blueboy

Aluminum
I read this thread...... https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/shop-management-and-owner-issues/switching-shop-lights-led-355435/?highlight=Machine+shop+lighting.......But I still haven't figured out what to go with. The older I get the harder it is to read a scale or verniers.
I like the idea of lots of light but too much and you get glare.

My eyes are sensitive to florescent lights so I don't want to buy anything that will give me a headache or have to wear welding glasses.

Been thinking of trying LED's in 4000 kelvin with frosted tubes.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks!

We had a lighting company come in and install 3 different fixtures and then we chose which ones worked best for us. Really pleased with the results (much better light and no maintenance) as well as the cost savings (0ver $200 / month ) in a 15,00 square foot building.

I started by just buying a couple of tubes from the lowest price source I could find between A-zon and E-Yuk.
4000K or 3500K is a good choice if you are used to "cool white" but you lose some light per watt. 6K is very harsh bright.
I mix then in fixtures right/left.
Even the frosted tubes are a bit directional in lighting so different than tubes for shadows and fill.
Conventional florescents put a lot of diffuse light off the top of the bulb and the reflector. LEDs don't do this.
Bob

Instead of simply replacing fluorescent fixtures with LED tubes, you would probably be better served taking advantage of the LED chips mounting options. The real benefit of LEDs is that they can be mounted in any configuration, in any orientation, and in any density. Many fixtures I have looked at (and several I have designed) put the LEDs along the edges and bounce them off a reflector or diffuser to spread the apparent light source around to a larger area, with a more diffuse fill pattern. The easiest way to try this is to get a compact LED source and just bounce it off a white panel on your ceiling. LEDs are not the end all be all of lighting, they are not the most efficient least heat generating, and in many cases the fixtures do not even have the longest life span, but they have nearly unlimited options for mounting, it's silly not to take advantage of that.

I personally like these http://tamliteusa.com/spec_sheets/TLP-52-DYNAGEN.pdf

I read this thread...... https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...s-led-355435/?highlight=Machine+shop+lighting.......But I still haven't figured out what to go with. The older I get the harder it is to read a scale or verniers.
I like the idea of lots of light but too much and you get glare.

My eyes are sensitive to florescent lights so I don't want to buy anything that will give me a headache or have to wear welding glasses.

Been thinking of trying LED's in 4000 kelvin with frosted tubes.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks!
I have heard that 1000 bulbs does great with helping to relamp. It is online experienced company.

I have heard that 1000 bulbs does great with helping to relamp. It is online experienced company.

+1 on 1000bulbs. They have a great selection and everything is clearly organized and has good documentation. It can be a crapshoot buying this stuff from ebay/amazon because descriptions on those sites can be inaccurate or incomplete (resellers of chinese stuff that don't really have technical knowledge about their inventory). I've bought a bunch of LED lamps for retrofitting machine/workbench fixtures from 1000bulbs. Will probably buy a few T8 bulbs in the future for office lights.

So far so good. It's not to overbearing or hard on the eyes but it does have that LED brilliance. I was going to buy 4000K bulbs and try them but 5000K seems to be just right. 5800 kelvin is the color of the sun so I think 5000K will be okey-dokey.
I will buy more fixtures later on, the shop needs another 8 but for now have to watch the cash flow.
Thanks for the replies! Blue

Go to your local electrical supply house and ask them. I spent a bunch of time googling, etc, etc, ordered a few to try, got them, installed them and they were good but expensive with shipping. Then I stopped by my local electrical supply place and they had them for less than I paid on the net with shipping.

Back