Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least his current Corporate Office/ Engineering / Fabrication / Industrial Supply has plenty of parking.

capture.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And what does that pic represent?

Somehow you can see something in this pic that is obvious that they guy, or his partner(s) can't afford to buy a shop?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    And what does that pic represent?

Somehow you can see something in this pic that is obvious that they guy, or his partner(s) can't afford to buy a shop?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    According to his website that is their corporate headquarters in a subdivision.

I don't get it, Vlad said he had 500K to spend on a shop two years ago. That house looks like it has a nice double car garage. Why not snatch up a couple of machines and shove them in the garage and claim a home based business credit?

Pretty sure many of the PM guys got started in a garage with a lot less than 500k!

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because, if y'all bothered to read his posts, rather than each other's, he wants to buy a business. He did not say that he wants to start a shop. He did not say that he wants to be a machinist. He wants to "buy an already established and running business". Why he wants that is really none of my concern, nor doo I understand why it's any of yours to speculate?

You know of a shop for sale in the area - shoot the guy a note.
    If you don't - what skin of yours is in the game to even bother with him?

It looks like maybe he is a home based 'putor geek that has an online store for industrial supplies. (zoro?)

Does this make the guy a fraud somehow?
    Maybe he's made some good money setting up his online store and he wants to get into brick and mortor with his earnings?
    Is there a problem with this?

I just don't git why you guys need to make sport of anyone that wants to buy something?
    Are y'all jealous that someone else might have two nickles to rub together, and can afford to part with them?

The posts that have offered true advise in some way are NOT what I am talking about, but all it takes is one of you clowns to start speculating and interjecting some made up BS and then the rest seem to just git in line to throw stones too. What on Earth posses you guys? Your wives keep you under their thumbs that bad or what?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to give Vlad (the OP) credit if he can start an industrial supply shop in his garage and a few years later be flush with enough cash/credit to be able to purchase a running machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems like the posts since he resurrected the thread have been more positive than the earlier ones. Does he not remember the beating he took the first time around? The spammer comment is completely understandable. His ninth post is on a long dead thread, sending people to a website trying to sell something. Almost every time, that would be a spammer. This is a rare exception.

Why did people originally go off on him? It's probably because, in his very second post on this site, he told us all to shut up and do as he commands. It looks like that was when the gloves came off.

In my particular case, what rubs me wrong is:
    "Must have few good machinists, that are willing to stay."

He then goes on to demonstrate that he has no idea what's involved in running a shop, (look at his cost breakdown) and no interest in what the shop does. Two of us have tried to clarify what he's looking for, with no useful response. It seems clear that he just wants to be able to say he owns a machine shop. Any shop. I have no problem with that, and I actually do think his price is reasonable. What's not reasonable is to expect good machinists to stick around after a total amateur buys the shop.

I took a side job working for a guy like that, about 5 years ago. He'd made a bunch of money silkscreening shirts, and decided he wanted to run an aerospace machine shop. He literally didn't know the difference between a mill and a lathe. Of course, he bought a 2 axis lathe shop, then went almost exclusively after 3-5 axis mill parts that no other shop in Southern California would bid on. (absurdly complex, with short lead times) To keep it short, I'll just say that I quit after 10 days, when he told me he could learn everything there is to know about machining in a month or two, if he took a class at the local community college. I told him to take the class, and wished him luck. It turned out that I was the SEVENTH machinist he'd hired to run his shop, and I know of at least 3 more after me. The shop didn't last 9 months, and hemorrhaged money the whole time. Not a single machinist made it 6 weeks there. At least 2 quit on their first day.

Anyway, I sincerely hope the OP is nothing like the guy I just described. But that's the image running through my head, when I read his posts. And I doubt I'm the only one here getting the same vibes from this guy.

That's why some people have been so hard on him. Well, that, and the fact that so many of us are surly curmudgeons. Machinists aren't known for our people skills, myself least of all.

8. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see his need for a machine shop a little different. He is probably getting orders for sprockets that need a hub bored and keyed, maybe shafting with keyways... the type of work that would go with selling the industrial supplies he is selling. Owning the shop would also make his industrial supply business look, well, more industrial, if it was a "real" machine shop, instead of in a suburban neighborhood. I would also not be surprised if he gets requests by his clients for other machine shop work that he has to pass on due to no capability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob-

If that's the case, then he should let us know that he wants a shop for boring hubs, and milling keyways. (or whatever else) At least then we'd know he has SOME idea what he wants. So far, his request is little different from walking in to a grocery store, and asking to buy "food." Even though the request appears to be sincere, it's hard to take him seriously without more information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Some poeple just want a business, any business

At least in this case the "Prospective business buyer" has whittled it down to a CNC machine shop.

That narrows the options considerably.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a bit late and may have already been mentioned but: www.bizquest.com.
    Unreal how many shops are trying to sell due to retirement or hardship.

Also, gov't agencies like SBDC or - at least in Cali - CMTC that would know of a few.

Funding source like Concerned Capital try to keep businesses running, and maintain local jobs, for places that would otherwise close their doors completely.

Good luck.

13. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    At least in this case the "Prospective business buyer" has whittled it down to a CNC machine shop.
    Yeah, but it looks like he isn't going to go for the Nanjing option. Damn. I coulda put that together ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I see his need for a machine shop a little different. He is probably getting orders for sprockets that need a hub bored and keyed, maybe shafting with keyways... the type of work that would go with selling the industrial supplies he is selling. Owning the shop would also make his industrial supply business look, well, more industrial, if it was a "real" machine shop, instead of in a suburban neighborhood. I would also not be surprised if he gets requests by his clients for other machine shop work that he has to pass on due to no capability.
    You are exactly right Rob. Having my own machine shop will improve lead times for many products like coupling hub, sprockets and gears. Currently, a lot of customers are asking me to find shops for them to get the machining and fabrication done. Right now I source it to the local shops. My business is growing and I can't work from my home office forever. If I combine my business with a machine shop, I will not be just another store, but a solutions provider.

g-coder05 made a screen shot from google map and put a picture of my house like is Christopher Columbus and discovered America. Everybody knows that I am a small home based business and everybody knows how to use google map. What you think you are some kind of Sherlok Holmes ? Obviously the guy has nothing to do.

For the people who think I am extremely stupid, I have half a million dollar and dont know where else to spend that money, so I want to buy any random shop.
    Just FYI, I have master degree in mechanical engineering, I have worked as a machinist, draftsman, QC Engineer, application engineer, sales engineer. I have traveled in US, Canada and Europe visiting more production plants that you could ever imagine. I know how to write a G Code, have experience in Mastercam, Autocad, Solidworks, Solid Edge. I have expertise in production, design and business development aspects. I started working in machine shop when I was 15 years old. My Dad running a division that was doing Hydro Power repairs. He would take me and show me the machines since I was 5 years old.
    If this is not making me qualified to buy a shop, then please do not contact me with opportunity. Wish you all the best.

16. Likes Ox, Rob F., jmp, ratbldr427, CalG and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an FYI for you guys:

The OP asked me to delete this thread a cpl of days ago as he did not like getting called a SPAMmer, and that the whole thread took a turn for the worse.
    Because, if y'all bothered to read his posts, rather than each other's, he wants to buy a business.
    I just don't git why you guys need to make sport of anyone that wants to buy something?
    The posts that have offered true advise in some way are NOT what I am talking about, but all it takes is one of you clowns to start speculating and interjecting some made up BS and then the rest seem to just git in line to throw stones too.
    Ox, since I am the most recent "clown" in question, at least in terms of using the "S"[pammer} word, I once again repeat my apology, both to the OP and to you. I certainly did not intend to make sport of the OP, and you are quite right - I was guilty of failing to read the whole thing.

As an explanation to the OP, it is such a common pattern to see a thread resurrected by a low-count poster, and the resurrecting post contains a link to a web site. Out of all the dozens if not hundreds of times I have seen that pattern, this is the ONE time that it was not resurrected by a spammer. I confess that I have gotten irritated by the all-too-common pattern, and thus stop reading the old posts once I realize it is an old thread. Once again, my sincere apologies for drawing an incorrect conclusion.

I hope this explanation will help you to understand at least one reason why the responses you have gotten have not been what you were hoping for. Sometimes we have a genuine request that by its nature is going to look or sound suspicious to others; best to know that up front.

18. Likes Vlad Harut, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    At least his current Corporate Office/ Engineering / Fabrication / Industrial Supply has plenty of parking.
    and you can't imagine a scenario where its legit? just off the top of my head, say.....inherited some dough, wants to a buy a business but in the meantime as a day job. A posting pictures of the guys house?

this whole sad thread ought to be titled "when in ignorance, assume the worst".

The $1/2 million comments? A smart man with 500M in equity should be able to buy a business doing at least 1-2 million in sales likely with some sort of product base. All these remarks about 1/2 million getting you nothing - how many businesses have you bought? For these small hole in donut sized businesses, that is a good stake - and its the equity, not the enterprise price.

People that make it happen aren't sitting around complaining and throwing rocks at others, they're doing.....maybe time for some of you to hike the pants up to the navel, move to Florida and complain about the government

20. Likes Vlad Harut, Ox, metlmunchr, red beard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tough crowd.

I'll just say congratulations sir for making a go at a home based buissness and growing it
    a shop will defiantly compliment your industrial supply and provide you with a store front to sell through.

Funny I started out the opposite way. Garage Machine shop and customers kept asking for supplies as well.

Best of luck with your acquisitions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vlad
    You might run an add on craigslist. Plenty of shops that cant keep enough work to keep running, owners wanting to retire, owner dies and family does not know what to do with business. Many such guys go to craigslist to find machine value and so might see you add..
    With doing this it may be best to get a throw away phone so being to end the quest after you find, or wish to end the search. I know a fellow who just gave away a business that was highly successful with making a retirement agreement with a trusted new owner. Actually knew two instances where that happened. both are still in business from the mid 60s.
    There are guys who auction off shops that may be just what you need. You might also contact an auction house and see if they might find such a business, with still having some sales/production.
    "Want to buy machine shop with product line or some sales in xx area."
    Put in some key words so a search will find you add "CNC, mill, lathe, grinder"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Harut View Post
    Finally someone got my point.
    I just tried to explain, that the price of the shop is not determined by number of machinist.
    It is complex. There are many factors: machinery estimate, revenue generated, employees, customer base and so on.
    After all, I can see that a lot of people are not here to learn something, but criticize others and feel good about it.
    I'm surprised that Digger Doug hasn't been here to pile on you yet. He loves that shit.

24. Likes ranchak liked this post