What's new
What's new

Looking for Hardware

graemeian

Plastic
I go through a lot of hardware. Mostly common bolts and screws. Is there a discount online supply center where one can get bolts and screws.
Thanks.

When I need a box, I usually use McMaster Carr. I consider their prices average retail. I order today and it arrives tomorrow and they never send junk. (..should get a package from them today.) I have recently needed 100-200# orders and have had my people contact non-price posted website companies and the prices run about 1.5 over average. Although Fasenal does one better and can provide prices at about 2-5x average with a week turn-around. I had a supplier in the mid-west (mom and pops) but I was told they retired and closed shop a while ago. We have local suppliers and you pay for the convenience even when they take a week. Also, I like to avoid the sales rep thing where I get visitors everyday needing a salary.

For less than 1000 pieces of a single fastener boltdepot.com has pretty good prices. From what I've seen they have better pricing than McMaster or Fastenal. That's where I get most of my fasteners.

I don't know what "a lot" means to you, but if you're using 10,000+ pieces of the same fastener then you may get better pricing from a local distributor. I know around here there are several that would give much better pricing if you get into those quantities.

what is a lot? what grades and sizes? Active Bolt & Screw Co. | Home for small orders <500#, About Us - St. Louis Screw & BoltSt. Louis Screw & Bolt for bigger orders. Neither are discount seconds outlets.

After having worked in St. Louis all my life, I had never heard of St. Louis Screw & Bolt. They are actually in Madison on the Illinois side of the Mississippi in the industrial belt on both sides of the river so the prevailing wind blows the odors out on Illinois farmland, away from the rich people whose lives are made so easy by the products that they would never allow to be made in their neighborhood. They seem to be mostly in the construction fastener business.

Possibly a better candidate is Inventory Sales

Tools, Parts, Accessories & More! | Inventory Sales Company

They are located in a former White Rogers plant with a warehouse so big that the parts chasers ride tricycles. I don't know how they are to do mail order business because they are close enough to drive there when I need something. Their counter sales staff is very accommodating and you can have a bag of popcorn, a hot dog and coffee while you wait.

Bill

A while ago I needed 10,000 #10 stainless lockwashers in a hurry, and after extensive searching I found the best price at nuttybolts.com. Came to $88.90 including shipping and I got them in time.

Tools, Parts, Accessories & More! | Inventory Sales Company

They are located in a former White Rogers plant with a warehouse so big that the parts chasers ride tricycles. I don't know how they are to do mail order business because they are close enough to drive there when I need something. Their counter sales staff is very accommodating and you can have a bag of popcorn, a hot dog and coffee while you wait.

Bill
That is why I go to the valve and fitting store a little further from work, the donuts and coffee. hot dogs sound fancy pants.
St Louis makes the bolts, it is neat to see the old head forging machines at work- old, but retrofitted with computers to keep track of stock certs.

I have been using K&R Supply for years. Mom & pop outfit, excellent service, responds quickly to emails, ships same day USPS Priority.
They have all the common stuff and some of the uncommon. They can get about anything else I've wanted, I inquired once about small metric machine screws. They sent me free samples by the hundreds (none worked).

You can buy one piece or 100. Package qty prices are lower
Prices are very reasonable. I checked one item against another supplier mentioned here.
Grade 5 bolt, plated, 3/8 USS x 2.5" long
K&R 1 pc $.46 100 pcs $36.50
Competitor 1 pc $69 100 pcs $49.95
K&R has Free shipping on orders over $50. No mention at the other place.

I keep one of those steel bolt bins in the shop, and replenish as needed from K&R, adding the oddball stuff for my latest project. Happy customer

http://www.krfastenersupply.com

Since your in NC I would suggest Kenneth G Lily Fasteners out of Shelby NC. They have always provided me great service.

This isn't exactly why you asked but I also agree with McMaster Carr as a good option. Mine usually takes two days, but they have one of the best organized websites to find stuff and they always carry high-quality stuff. I factor that in to saving money on the purchase price, i.e. it's so fast to find things, re-find things (based on past orders), get dimensional info, and they carry virtually everything else a shop needs (tools, hardware, etc.) so that you can get everything in one order.

So, just to clarify, it's "everything else" that saves me time that makes it less justifiable to spend that time trying to save money.

One other option is to go with VMI (vendor managed inventory). If you use a lot of high-variety, think about a local supplier who is willing to stock fasteners for you. If done correctly, it can save you a lot of time. You'll need a reasonably standard stock and have to go through them enough to make it worthwhile for the supplier. One note: if you go this route, don't let them overstock the bins so that fasteners keep falling on the floor.

The Dude

Back