What's new
What's new

Looking for Quoteing help

Kevin Farwick

Plastic
Does anyone have a excell spread sheet for quoteing ? That you would be willing to share. Being a small machine shop we just do not have the resources to buy or make one. Any assistance would be greatly appricated:confused:
Thank you for reading my post.

It would be quite difficult to make up a spread sheet for someone else's shop. Too many variables involved.

Most people hate being the estimator. I have filled that nasty position for several employers as well as myself. Every shop has a different procedure. Until you establish some sort of history and baseline it is a lot of guess work.

Don't worry about what everyone else is charging. Some of those guys will be out of business next year. Gather cost of raw material, figure consumables, guess the hours, add a little for machine wear and tear. If you lose your butt a few times don't sweat it. If you lose a few jobs, don't sweat it. It is all experience that will help you in the future. When you make some money, thank God.

SCOTTIE

I have an estimating spreadsheet in MS Works.

It is VERY, VERY CRUDE. Not more than 20 minutes in it's development.
It was done for jobs made from aluminum bar stock. These are in 12' lengths.
So, it calculates the weight of a bar based on the dimensions, times the price per pound.
It calculates how many parts you can get from a 12' stick, and how many total sticks you need per the quantities needed.
Next is how much (time) do you think it will take to make each part?
Can you make them cheaper if you make a lot of them?
So, what is your base estimate, and you minimum per piece cost for a large order?
How many parts will it take to get "smarter" ?

Basically, you enter amount you think it will cost to:
Set up the job.
How many parts per bar.
Size of the bar.
Cost per pound.
Minimum setup cost.
Base rate per part.
Cheaper base rate if you get "smarter"
How many parts to get "smarter"
What qauntities do you need numbers for?

And, you can cheat and lie to it about the material cost, so it gives an idea about material cost per part, which is what you want.

That's about it..

How do you come up with costs per part?
How may operations will it take?
How many trips into the vises?
Special vise jaws? Soft jaws?
How many drilled, Tapped, helicoiled holes?
How many tool changes per part?
Special tooling?

Figure so many cents every time you pick up the part.
So many cents each for every helicoil.
So many centes per bandsaw cut.
Finishes, plating etc.
Packing, shipping, paperwork for all outside operations.
Costs for paperwork, material certs, COC's etc..

All of that I usually do on a paper worksheet.. Every part is unique. More or less.
The spreadsheet is handy for crunching the numbers when they want pricing for every possible quantity possible. 1,2,5,10,20,50,75,100,150,200,300,500,1000, etc..

Microcimm software called trig man 2007 has a simple spread sheet for different stuff like calibration and quoting ect. i never used it but i use the mini cam for the lathe tool path it was pretty cheap i think like 150 bucks it has all sorts of handy stuff i think the seller is glass house software or something like that good luck

Back