What's new
What's new

Looking for Shop Space - Rochester, NY

Hoppy

Cast Iron
I want to move my shop to Rochester, NY to be closer to family. I need about 2,000 square feet. Does anyone know of anything that's available? Realtors don't seem too interested in small spaces like this. Thanks!

Don't know anything specific but there seems to be space all over around here. Is there any specific area you want to be in? Victor? Canandaigua? East Rochester? Webster? Middle-of-city? There are also a bunch of shops; do you want local business or do you already have national clients?

I want to move my shop to Rochester, NY to be closer to family. I need about 2,000 square feet. Does anyone know of anything that's available? Realtors don't seem too interested in small spaces like this. Thanks!

In addition to posting on machine related sites like this check if City ofRochester has some type of small business zupport agency.

Rochester is a great place for manufacturing. I don't know the figures, but I'd guess there's 2X+ the shops Buffalo has.

How close to Rochester? On Which side? Rent or buy? What are your requirements regarding ceiling height, dock space, overhead doors, power, etc...? There is a ton of stuff available depending upon your needs. Saying just 2,000 sq ft. isn't enough info. to make any recommendations.

How close to Rochester? On Which side? Rent or buy? What are your requirements regarding ceiling height, dock space, overhead doors, power, etc...? There is a ton of stuff available depending upon your needs. Saying just 2,000 sq ft. isn't enough info. to make any recommendations.

Andy F: I'd like to stay within a 20-minute drive of Brighton. I'm looking to lease, not buy. We do not need any extra ceiling height. We don't need dock space, either - just doors big enough to get the machinery in (6' opening minimum). Three-phase power would be ideal, but we're currently running off a large rotary phase converter and could continue to do so.

I have followed up with every listing shown on LoopNet, but none of the small spaces are available. I've spoken with a half dozen or so commercial realtors and none of them know of any properties that would work for me.

Don't know anything specific but there seems to be space all over around here. Is there any specific area you want to be in? Victor? Canandaigua? East Rochester? Webster? Middle-of-city? There are also a bunch of shops; do you want local business or do you already have national clients?

Conrad: I'd like to be within a 20-minute drive of Brighton. Our business comes electronically from all over the country, so local business is not critical.

For such a small shop perhaps you can just find a house with a pole barn a little outside of the city. I assume you're going to need a new place to live as well anyways.

Check with the tooling and machinery dealers in the area. Many of them know who's retiring, moving, etc,. Definitely worth a try.

This seems like a 'boots on the ground' situation.

Go drive around for a day and call the numbers on the signs. I think 50+% of stuff isn't advertised online.

Bonus is you'll meet some people and see more of your new town.

Brighton is sort of the south side of Rochester and 20 minutes out from there covers a huge amount of ground. I can get from Victor to Brighton in 20 minutes. Fairport, Henrietta, Scottsville and a bunch of other places too. I don't know how things are listed but I see signs all over the place. Good idea above to check with tool dealers, at least the ones that are left.

many older companies like Kodak and others have many building only partially being used and want to rent/lease out parts of their buildings. you could rent a part or sections already with electrical power,
overhead cranes, heat and air conditioning, truck loading dock access
etc and landlord takes care of building maintenance like the roof, parking lot, etc
many big buildings have many tenants or different companies in the same
building. they might require walls put up so different companies people
cannot just walk into other areas without permission.
often signs on front of building with telephone and or contact info about
rent or leasing space. often its called a business park as oppose to old
name of Kodak Park.

many older companies like Kodak and others have many building only partially being used and want to rent/lease out parts of their buildings. you could rent a part or sections already with electrical power,
overhead cranes, heat and air conditioning, truck loading dock access
etc and landlord takes care of building maintenance like the roof, parking lot, etc
many big buildings have many tenants or different companies in the same
building. they might require walls put up so different companies people
cannot just walk into other areas without permission.
often signs on front of building with telephone and or contact info about
rent or leasing space. often its called a business park as oppose to old
name of Kodak Park.

Its a very large undertaking to convert a single tenant industrial building into a multi (washrooms, firewalls, truck doors, offices, entrance, sprinklers, meters etc) and no one is going to do this for 2000 sq ft.

I agree with the jamscal, your best bet is drive the industrial areas, look for the multi unit buildings and call off the signs. Agents are not going to bother searching for you for 2000 sq ft so its best to do it yourself. A great deal of industrial space never gets listed so you have to do the windshield search. You'll also start to get a sense of what you like and don't like

This seems like a 'boots on the ground' situation.

Go drive around for a day and call the numbers on the signs. I think 50+% of stuff isn't advertised online.

Bonus is you'll meet some people and see more of your new town.

Jamscal: I think you're right about this. I haven't been able to accomplish anything with the realtors and that was the primary reason why I started this thread - hoping to get a "word of mouth" lead.

Its a very large undertaking to convert a single tenant industrial building into a multi (washrooms, firewalls, truck doors, offices, entrance, sprinklers, meters etc) and no one is going to do this for 2000 sq ft.

I agree with the jamscal, your best bet is drive the industrial areas, look for the multi unit buildings and call off the signs. Agents are not going to bother searching for you for 2000 sq ft so its best to do it yourself. A great deal of industrial space never gets listed so you have to do the windshield search. You'll also start to get a sense of what you like and don't like

The big facility in our town that the union drove to Dixie back around 1979 or so - which is 2-3 blocks long, is divided up into several smaller units.

I'm guessing that there were likely a few different "break room" areas in the original plant already anyhow. Shirley they didn't all walk 2 blocks to take a leak and git a sammich?

Also - several loading docks and surface level doors as well.

But in agreance - I'm sure that they don't have anything down to 2000' either.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

But in agreance - I'm sure that they don't have anything down to 2000' either.

I'm just playing the odds...haven't been to every building in NA lol. I do have 10 million sq ft of sales/lease experience from a previous life so 'get' the dynamics. Even if someone was inclined, there are practical limits to dividing up large buildings into tiny units....dimensions of the unit, access to shipping etc

Many times the large buildings will have a few smaller spaces if they been dividided and an old cafeteria or office is left. I used to rent about 2k sq ft in what was once a truck parking facility.

Many times the large buildings will have a few smaller spaces if they been dividided and an old cafeteria or office is left. I used to rent about 2k sq ft in what was once a truck parking facility.

Management of the facility I rent space has and will provide space just large enough that will fit a desk and some chairs. Some in business need nothing much more than a commercial address and/or the use of a loading dock.

Back