Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    So, in a way, I disagree, you and I do get hurt when someone is artificially propped up. When resources are provided preferentially to anyone, I think it is detrimental. There are certain cases that this is OK, but they are few and far between.
    Our experiences are very similar, including some of the frustrations. I just get hung up on that last part. I don't see how it hurts me when somebody else gets propped up by a non profit. I don't see any difference between that and people who inherit money, or are third generation business owners, or any of the other 10 million things that give somebody an "unfair" advantage in a "free market" economy.

Nobody forced us to start a machine shops. If one were desperate to get picked up by an incubator, perhaps try opening an organic popcorn stand staffed by reformed convicts.

2. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I just get hung up on that last part. I don't see how it hurts me when somebody else gets propped up by a non profit.
    It does if that guy ends up being your competitor.

4. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    It does if that guy ends up being your competitor.
    I understand that's the concern. However, I refuse to accept that my success is dependent on somebody else's failure. I'm part of this online community because I want to see all of us thrive.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm just going to be the non-politically-correct one here and point out that the likely reason that he couldn't get help was that he was the wrong skin color and sex.
    In my case this is exactly what happened.

I found myself sitting with a bank manager that I had been dealing with for over 20 years with my families shop asking for a loan to start another shop. I'm sitting their with a rather nice contract with CSX railroad. Of course the guy knows I had just sold my families factory and there was a stocks floating around so they are asking for some as collateral. But I'm sitting there with a contract for more than four times the amount I was asking for and I get a nope, sorry. they wanted those stocks.

Then my wife who's fresh off the boat still waiting on a tax ID number goes to that class at the incubator and gets a loan for less than 1/2 the interest they were going to hit me with,,, even with collateral! Somethings wrong with the system.....

Of topic, speaking about the systems broke.
    Her sister had been stateside for awhile. One day they pick me up at work for lunch and I notice my wife is toting my 1911 on her hip! I'm jumping up and down going ape shit trying to tell her she'll go to jail then be deported. Her response, "Clam down honey. My sister took me to get my carry permit at the Dalton GA. Sheriffs department". Um ok, Scratching my head trying to figure out how she got a permit in Georgia when we live in Tennessee.

Seems all she had to do was change her alien ID to her sisters address in GA. Go to the courthouse for a back ground check, go to the Sheriffs department for fingerprints, wait a few weeks and its mailed to her. Here is a girl that's Just about 4'8" and maybe 80 pounds on a good day that has never even held a side arm much less had any training, Carrying a pistol the size of her arm!

Stuff like that makes me think the U.S. has a lot more things to worry about than Business Incubators creating competition.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turnworks View Post
    Looking at more niche product shops not really job shops but would like to hear both.

What were some key moments that got you off the ground? How did small production turn into bigger runs? Word of mouth? Marketing and advertising? Your own website? Finding a retailer to sell them? Product design got bought by a bigger company?

Were you making one product that gave you an idea about another that really took off? Started as a job shop then moved into a product line or vise versa? Long hours and just shear force of will? Lucky breaks?

Very broad and open questions but would like to hear the stories if you have time.

Thanks.
    Started mine 25 years ago. Went through ups and downs, but still have it. Worked for others along the way, but it was nice having my own place to go to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I understand that's the concern. However, I refuse to accept that my success is dependent on somebody else's failure. I'm part of this online community because I want to see all of us thrive.
    Agreed. If you’ve got time to worry about the success of the competition you’re clearly not focused on your own success.

9. Likes boosted liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I’m a HUGE fan of small business. But when I started my small business I called half a dozen different small business organizations that are supposed to help. I called my county and even talked with my city.

NONE of those organizations would help a machine shop start.

AND

Most importantly, their definition of SMALL BUSINESS was a minimum of 50 employees and the minimum loan amount was $500k.

Soooooo

No?

I have to agree we have never been able to get any help from anywhere. We are a woman owned company too. Not to mention that the woman is 83yrs old.

We had our best years soon after we started our business. My father was the best at what he did at NIH designing and making neurological research equipment. His boss would have him help set up post docs with equipment who were leaving to start there own labs, at universities around the world. By the time he retired the company was in full swing with my brother my mom and I. This was in the late 80s. since then our government has gutted funding for medical research by trillions of dollars. All the while spending trillions more on the military (guess it's more important to have our children killed off in wars than to find ways to save lives). At this point we aren't sure whether we will be able to continue in this field. And personally I don't want to get into making things for the military when we don't belong in the military actions we are in in the first place. We never should have sent anyone into the middle east in the 70s to start with. look how many of our children would still be here. Sorry for going on I have a bad taste in my mouth. My whole family is going broke because of this. We have taken some other jobs here and there but nothing that has turned into anything profitable. I can tell you though that we are the best of the best at our niche and the customers we have couldn't do without us or a company like ours. We understand things from the researchers point of view. They can call us and tell us what they want to do and we can develop a way for them to do it. whether it's electronic or mechanical, large or micro we are the best. If they need a part with 200 .005" holes in it we can make it. We even do cabinetry and install complete labs. but alas when there are no more funds for research companies like ours are screwed.

11. Likes Ox liked this post