What's new
What's new

Looking for a Tool Steel Supplier

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Does ANYONE have a tool steel supplier with US made tool steel?

I have called all 3 that I know of and cannot find a single one that can supply US made steel.

Just a few years ago everything I bought was US made... then Uddeholm got bought out, and Crucible got absorbed, and I don't remember what else.

EVERYTHING is chinese all of a sudden... WTF?

Looking for A2, D2, M4, S7...

I have heard of Carpenter steel, but am not familiar with a supplier by that name.

I will definitely give them a call if they have US Tool Steel. Thanks for the lead

You could ping Carpenter Specialty Metals and ask for a distributor list.

The number in my Rolodex from days'gone'by is 800-654-6543

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've been using Southern Tool Steel in Chattanooga since the 90's and never let me down. They always ask if you want certed or non- certed then foreign or domestic. Almost always had what I needed in stock along with custom sawing overnight.

1-800-487-6382

I use Cincinnati Tool Steel (cintool.com) for A2, but I cannot say the origin of their material. Have not had issues with heat treat over the last 5 years or so using them.
They ship, and are very reasonable on their shipping.

Wade

I've been using Southern Tool Steel in Chattanooga since the 90's and never let me down. They always ask if you want certed or non- certed then foreign or domestic. Almost always had what I needed in stock along with custom sawing overnight.

1-800-487-6382

That's who we use since we're just up the road. Judy, Kathy, and Lisa take very good care of us.

Lots of good leads to follow up on, thanks everyone!

I continue to learn more in regards to the current "US" supply of Tool Steel.

Some plate is still made in the US, as well as some rectangular and square bar. Rounds are all foreign until you get into large sizes.

Looks like I will have to shop around some more depending on what I am looking for.

There's more and more customers specifying they don't want material from certain countries(china/india and such), which is great other than being 25 years too late... some stuff has gotten real hard to impossible to find. Then some of the few North American mills/brands left seem right near impossible to get anything out of through some convoluted dealer network that often leads nowhere...

Does ANYONE have a tool steel supplier with US made tool steel?

I have called all 3 that I know of and cannot find a single one that can supply US made steel.

Just a few years ago everything I bought was US made... then Uddeholm got bought out, and Crucible got absorbed, and I don't remember what else.

EVERYTHING is chinese all of a sudden... WTF?

Looking for A2, D2, M4, S7...
Isn't Uddeholm Swedish company? Now part of Böhler-Uddeholm that is in turn part of Voest-Alpine.

Isn't Uddeholm Swedish company? Now part of Böhler-Uddeholm that is in turn part of Voest-Alpine.

I knew the Bohler Uddeholm part, but hadn't heard what it was part of. I haven't heard of Voest-Alpine.

We used to use a LOT of Uddeholm when I worked at my grandfathers shop. He had a great deal of respect for them. The salesman was actually knowledgeable about the product he sold, was knowledgeable as both a machinist and metallurgist.

Most of that steel we used came out of New York if I remember right, some of it was made in the states, some of it was made in Sweden.

My limited understanding of Uddeholm today was that it was almost like a brand sticker, they make very few of the steels, but it is sold under their brand name. Much like many of the good quality tool and manufacturing brands that have been raped by marketing. (Cleveland MoMax comes to mind, now made in China, and not worth using)

Not that it helps if you are looking for US steel :o

I like high quality steel, regardless of where it comes from. Problem is, Uddeholm, the last I SAW, A2 was ordered from a past supplier that normally sent Uddeholm. Steel came in with a Uddeholm sticker, with a SB Specialty Metals tag. SB will tell you, the majority of their steel comes from China.

I am currently trying to source some 8620 steel forgings from the UK. I am only sourcing it there because they already have the tooling. If we can’t work that out, then I make the forging dies and head up the road.

It’s like today I spoke with one of my steel suppliers, I wanted a bar of 1 3/8 4340 HR Ann, they don’t have any. . . . What?! They have it, but it’s Chinese. They do have 1 3/8 4140 HR Ann. . . US made. . . Weird?

I like high quality steel, regardless of where it comes from. Problem is, Uddeholm, the last I SAW, A2 was ordered from a past supplier that normally sent Uddeholm. Steel came in with a Uddeholm sticker, with a SB Specialty Metals tag. SB will tell you, the majority of their steel comes from China.
Or BU was out of stock and sourced their own steel from SB that also happens to sell their product?
What did the mill certs say?

Just curious here, Uddeholm mills (the original ones) are just 400 miles and one pond away from here so its lot more likely to get the Swedish Uddeholm steel..

Back