What's new
What's new

Machinist Apprenticeship

jbhotrod

Plastic
Hello yall, I was just wondering what all opportunities might be out there for me in the Fulton County, Gwinnett County, Dekalb County, etc surrounding areas in Georgia. I would very much like to get a job in a machine shop in an apprentice role. I don't have any formal trade schooling, but I aint totally clueless either. I grew up aside my diesel mechanic father in the shop learning as much as I could from him as we turned wrenches on whatever cars/trucks came in. Also helped with upkeep on the 2500 acre pine plantation.
But Ive never been actually employed by a machine shop nor did I go to trade school. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Cyber Security(I feel CNC programming won't be an issue for me to learn) but really want to take my career in another direction. To be completely honest, I want to learn everything I can about machining. Eventually, I'd like to either work for or own my own business manufacturing single point cut rifled barrels; it is a subject I couldn't be more interested in.
However, for now, I'd simply like to get my foot in the door of the industry in whatever way is possible.
Am I shooting for the stars here? Unrealistic expectations?

They say do what you love and you won't work a day in your life.. well, as I said, rifle barrel manufacturing and just the precision involved in machining in general... its the most enjoyable career I could possibly dream of. Thanks for any/all advice, pointers, tips, references(?)..
JB

Don't give up the Diesel shop or the plantation.
Going back to the Civil War technology in rifling is not going to be a money maker.

I once worked with a man who looked like a cast member from "Deliverance" with a hillbilly accent to match. He had no particular qualifications, but was a quick learner. His foremen in the maintenance department noticed that every time he was welding, Ray was watching him. Then one day, Ray started to weld. He convinced his foreman to let him rebuild a 10" South Bend lathe they had so he taught himself scraping. Then he scraped a clapped out Bridgeport. I was there when they had their best machinist evaluate it. He couldn't fault it.

His foreman told me that the only reason he hired Ray was that he said "All my life, I have wanted to work on machinery."

Bill

Back