What's new
What's new

Marketability Testing Quoting / Shop Traveler workbook (Deleted by in error)

BillStephan

Plastic
Maybe the second time is the charm? I’d actually contacted the group mod before my original posting and received approval. The post was marked spam by a member even though I’m not selling anything (just offering to give something away for help determining if there’s a market and for input on changes. Where else could you go to ask these questions besides here?), it was deleted by a mod outside the group and I was asked to repost.

The prior post was a bit wordy, I’ll shoot for an abbreviated rendition:

I’m Bill Stephan, I’ve started up and managed shops for large private and public corporations for most of my 30 plus year career. I entered the industry as a tool crib attendant at a large job shop in Northern California as a teen, and I’ve supplemented my income by developing ERP supplemental software and advanced reporting tools during my entire career – here’s my LinkedIn profile.

This is the tool I use for quoting manufactured components (costing and PDF output to the customer) and versions are in use in both very large and very small shops. It’s been steadily growing in capability and scope over the last 25 years and I’ve spent the last few weeks industrializing/commercializing and branding the Excel workbook. It’s Excel, but does error validation, doesn’t let you overwrite formulas, has context specific dropdown choices for minimal typing while containing no macros.

I’d like to find 3 to 5 shops of varying size and capability to beta test the workbook and help me determine if there’s a market or what needs to change. I would be looking for feedback in return for a lifetime license and help setting up the defaults.

I’ve uploaded some screen shots, even if you’re not interested in beta testing, your input in the data and prestation would be helpful.

Here’s a partial list of how I and others have utilized the package:

• Costing / pricing tool for up to 6 different quantities with ability to simply manage the individual pricing/costing for each quantity (profit, mark-ups, commissions, allocation of extra setup material and time, allocation of NRE cost, etc.). PDF creation for formal customer bid (any currency).
  • Profitability on repeat items or product – once work-center and labor components (optional) are set up, actual run and setup times can be entered with material and outside service cost to give detailed analysis on profitability and pricing.
  • Smaller shops utilize the routing and BOM sections of the workbook as shop travelers where larger shops use those sections as data entry templates – using lower skilled employees to enter BOMs routers after an order is received.
  • Dual rate structure (dual cost set) – was developed to price and evaluate work at market rates or accounting (book rates). In organizations running large ERP system (Oracle, SAP, QAD) we could verify the standard cost roll to the quotation without using that rate structure to bid work (large organizations seldom have work-center rates correct. This can be helpful for mid-size organizations too, but it’s optional.

If you got this far - thank you for your time,

-Bill
Page-1.jpgPage-2.jpgPage-3.jpgPage-4.jpgScreen Shot 2018-11-26 at 8.04.38 AM.jpg

You mentioned on the phone that this would be a major advantage (ass_u_ming that you mean "ERP's in general?) for "ISO Compliant" status as opposed to "Registered".

Would you like to comment on that a bit?
This place is mostly owner/opperators of smaller shops, and Compliance has a strong appeal over Registered to many I would guess.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

ISO certification is certainly a marketing tool for small shops and a requirement for mid-sized and above. However (IMHO), very few organizations (if they are truthful) actually create much additional value through certification or compliance. ISO certification or compliance will add a framework and additional documentation to a meticulously organized and well managed shop but it doesn’t make them better or more profitable. Conversely, shops that have ISO certification and are not particularly organized tend to pencil whip the documentation and go through the motions to maintain certification while creating little to no value for their organizations “beyond access to work that requires the certification” - (some registrars are more strict than others, but they all rely on the residual audit income – and pretty much “all shall pass” after minimal finding correction).

Regarding the workbook, it wasn’t built with the intent of being a product – although I’ve now slapped copyright info on it and branded it SIMCOST (even if there’s not a market, I like the name), it was built to streamline and document the estimation and order documentation processes. As for ISO, it dovetails in a bunch of ways while adding little additional work. It functions as documentation that the routings, BOM, NRE and final prices were reviewed, and who is responsible (approvals are done in the associated areas and reflected on the cover sheet). As far as ISO goes, it most importantly documents “contract review” giving separate checklists (definable in setup) for new and repeat parts with a single click (the yes/no quality requirements checklist types labels are also definable in setup). You can still quickly pencil whip the document, approvers names are in a dropdown requiring 2 mouse clicks to complete and the date self populates - or you can do the work and verify the PO matches all aspects of the quotation and with a couple mouse clicks you have an audit trail.

I’ve been in operations for a long time, and I’ve used a version of this workbook to quote millions of dollars of machined components annually (both me, and those who have worked for me). Due to poor controls and me occasionally handing it out, there are a few shops utilizing it as a shop floor routing and BOM tools in the QuickBooks world as well as for estimating. It’s hard to describe the tool with words and photos, so I’m going to put together a quick (likely very unpolished video, as it will be a first attempt ever) and I think that will clarify things one way or another (value or none).

Thanks again for the feedback – even understanding that I’m not being effective in conveying the value is valuable.

-Bill

We use an Excel workbook now for quoting/costing and find it very useful. We're not a likely candidate for a beta site for you, but I'm interested in the product when it's ready.

My apologies for the lengthy delay, the holidays, have me focused on non work related items.

I've learned a few things since my initial posting; I'm pretty awful at creating instructional videos. I think with some practice I might become passable, it's a big might?

Here's the link: Simcost Demonstration - YouTube

Jump to 4:30 to get to the actual quoting. I started off attempting a polished production and ended trying to just get through it. In the process of deleting some of my long pauses there's a slight mismatch in narration and video and yes, I had a dixlexic moment typing in the material pricing...

If you can spare a few minutes any feedback on the usefulness of the workbook would be appreciated - I already know the video is a D-.

Thanks, -Bill

Maybe the second time is the charm? I’d actually contacted the group mod before my original posting and received approval. The post was marked spam by a member even though I’m not selling anything (just offering to give something away for help determining if there’s a market and for input on changes. Where else could you go to ask these questions besides here?), it was deleted by a mod outside the group and I was asked to repost.

The prior post was a bit wordy, I’ll shoot for an abbreviated rendition:

I’m Bill Stephan, I’ve started up and managed shops for large private and public corporations for most of my 30 plus year career. I entered the industry as a tool crib attendant at a large job shop in Northern California as a teen, and I’ve supplemented my income by developing ERP supplemental software and advanced reporting tools during my entire career – here’s my LinkedIn profile.

This is the tool I use for quoting manufactured components (costing and PDF output to the customer) and versions are in use in both very large and very small shops. It’s been steadily growing in capability and scope over the last 25 years and I’ve spent the last few weeks industrializing/commercializing and branding the Excel workbook. It’s Excel, but does error validation, doesn’t let you overwrite formulas, has context specific dropdown choices for minimal typing while containing no macros.

I’d like to find 3 to 5 shops of varying size and capability to beta test the workbook and help me determine if there’s a market or what needs to change. I would be looking for feedback in return for a lifetime license and help setting up the defaults.

I’ve uploaded some screen shots, even if you’re not interested in beta testing, your input in the data and prestation would be helpful.

Here’s a partial list of how I and others have utilized the package:

• Costing / pricing tool for up to 6 different quantities with ability to simply manage the individual pricing/costing for each quantity (profit, mark-ups, commissions, allocation of extra setup material and time, allocation of NRE cost, etc.). PDF creation for formal customer bid (any currency).
  • Profitability on repeat items or product – once work-center and labor components (optional) are set up, actual run and setup times can be entered with material and outside service cost to give detailed analysis on profitability and pricing.
  • Smaller shops utilize the routing and BOM sections of the workbook as shop travelers where larger shops use those sections as data entry templates – using lower skilled employees to enter BOMs routers after an order is received.
  • Dual rate structure (dual cost set) – was developed to price and evaluate work at market rates or accounting (book rates). In organizations running large ERP system (Oracle, SAP, QAD) we could verify the standard cost roll to the quotation without using that rate structure to bid work (large organizations seldom have work-center rates correct. This can be helpful for mid-size organizations too, but it’s optional.

If you got this far - thank you for your time,

-Bill
View attachment 243158View attachment 243159View attachment 243160View attachment 243161View attachment 243162

Pretty detailed From your efforts and experience this could be great. Sorry we can not take this on. Toolroom setup and operation is a critical component once a company reaches a certain level of growth. Good luck to you.

Back