Massive Seattle gear producer's sons fire all without notice, to cash out - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    Those large businesses have been leaving California for decades going to places like Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico.... So he did something, one thing, to encourage them to stay. Not working very well. How would hammering them with higher property taxes encourage them to stay?
    Sorry, I don't know where you heard that but it's bullshit. Reassessment only occurs when the property changes ownership. So existing businesses are not affected. No one is forced to move, in fact they are rewarded for staying in the same place. It's a giveaway to people wealthy enough to work around the intent. And it's worth about nine billion a year.

But beyond that, "big" business is shit. We don't want or need big business. Get rid of the useless assholes. It's the SMALL businesses that make ... made, the place great. For example, compare the HP of today with the HP that existed as a small and medium-sized California company. They haven't produced anything of value for the past twenty years.

What you're missing here is that freebies to people like Michael Dell actually hurt the local businesses. Like us Paying off the big guys only serves to crush the little guys who produce worthwhile stuff and don't get these payoffs.

2. Likes Toolbert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It amuses me that some of you think a company should be loyal to their employees and on the opposite side of the coin an employee of the company can roll his tools out the door for a 25 cent raise at another shop and you wouldn't bat an eye.

I know of a local tool and die man that ran his business and kept his employees running machines into his 80's. He finally sold off the company and retired when the cancer became terminal. Who tf wants to run a company till their last breath? Isn't the idea to get in make money and retire at some point in time before your health fails you?

GF is a store manager for a local fast food company. The franchise owner seems to be failing in health. She sees there is no future in staying and has started looking for employment elsewhere.

That being said, these owners where up in their fifties or sixties if not older, and there had been no chatter of turning it into an employee owned company or selecting a board of trustees to take it over. . . What other outcome would you expect to see for the future of the business?

Just my thoughts
    kind regards.
    Alonzo

4. Likes SRT Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is not amoral, its human nature. "

Mcgyver,

Then you suggest that human nature is moral (snort)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elysianfield View Post

Then you suggest that human nature is moral (snort)?
    Hardly. I'm not sure what exactly are you trying to conclude or say, or are poking fun suggesting my statement implies by being human nature makes something moral? There is context around the statement you quoted, it didn't apply to everything the species does.

The point was that sitting in judgement and $1 will get you a cup of coffee. Trying to figure out if humans acting in their own economic best interests is moral or amoral is as big a waste of time as trying to decide if the sun coming up is right or wrong. It simple is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    We are close to having to ask: What is work? What are we to do when literally almost any job could be automated?
    Why do you think that?

You are assuming future technologies will come into existence that don't currently exist. Furthermore, there is nothing to suggest those technologies will be created/invented.

On the motion side, we don't have anything yet that rivals the strength/compactness of human muscle tissue, nor the dexterity-for-unit-volume of a human. There's nothing on the horizon that looks to even come close to matching humans, let alone exceeding them, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks we are on the cusp of replacing humans in this respect.

In terms of the intelligence/learning side, we still don't know what makes the human brain work. We use back-propagation to approximate the human brain. In the human brain, neuron A is connected to neuron B and C. We do not know why neuron A will sometimes fire B and sometimes fire C and sometimes fire B and C or neither. We have analyzed and dissected and observed and we just don't know. We may never know. And so we may never be able to build true artificial intelligence that can actually learn and develop intelligence in the way humans develop intelligence. And if we can't, then there are a whole slew of things that humans can do that machines will never be able to do - including anything remotely creative or that requires problem solving or intuition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    The only people bloviating about the union are here and in the stupid Seattle press, where I notice NO ONE has come up with the date that the shop went union. I'm gonna pull one out my ass too and guess it was in the thirties. The yeeeewnion doesn't have anything to do with this sellout except for without a contract the guys would get screwed even worse, but y'all are fixated on fucking working people so hey, that's who we're gonna blame no matter what.

Now that they aren't in the biz no more I can say that, from dealing with the Rambergs, they are kind of pricks. I was kind of surprised that the Gear Works would disappear since they did good work and had rare capabilities but knowing the owners, well, maybe not so shocked. This is kind of the thing that they would do. Shopping malls is good, doods !

Which also partly explains why they got yeeeewnionized in the beginning.

I used to get upset about banks cheating people but now that I see how happy y'all are to see decent machinists get fucked over, what the heck. Next time Bank of America takes a big bite out of your ass I'll just laugh. You deserve it. What goes around comes around.
    Who cares when they went union? If it was in the 30's, that doesn't mean being unionized has nothing to do with the current problems. If union employees get more pay/benefits than non-union employees, that money comes from somewhere. It doesn't come out of thin air - it comes from profits. That's why so many union shops shut down and why unions are dying - they have killed off most of the industries they infested, they choked them to death!

They could have easily been choking this place to death for decades, and it wasn't until now that they finally did it in. You say they are better off at the end having been union - are you joking? What would you consider worse than being fired with no notice? Perhaps they would still have jobs! Maybe the company would be competitive and could have laid workers off to right-size the business as things slowed up rather than having to kill the whole business to get out from under the union burden?

Good riddance to the union. Just another business gone - zero sympathy for the union on this one. Good riddance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    Who cares when they went union? If it was in the 30's, that doesn't mean being unionized has nothing to do with the current problems. If union employees get more pay/benefits than non-union employees, that money comes from somewhere. It doesn't come out of thin air - it comes from profits. That's why so many union shops shut down and why unions are dying - they have killed off most of the industries they infested, they choked them to death!

They could have easily been choking this place to death for decades, and it wasn't until now that they finally did it in. You say they are better off at the end having been union - are you joking? What would you consider worse than being fired with no notice? Perhaps they would still have jobs! Maybe the company would be competitive and could have laid workers off to right-size the business as things slowed up rather than having to kill the whole business to get out from under the union burden?

Good riddance to the union. Just another business gone - zero sympathy for the union on this one. Good riddance.
    I haven’t seen any evidence the work force had anything to do with the decision to sell. AFAIK they had satisfied customers and turned a profit, then decided to hang it up. Do you know otherwise, heard of any sloppy work they put out or too many comebacks? Why assume the bargaining unit was the cause any more than say an owner just wanting out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is probably safe to say it is likely are not any computers posting to this thread. Only humans arrive at a conclusion in the absense of little or no actual data.

11. Likes Ox, converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)