What's new
What's new

Materiel cert versus C of C for plastic

RJT

Titanium
I have requested 2 of my plastic suppliers (industrial distributors) to supply material certs for some poly carbonate and Delrin when we asked for a quote and reminded them we needed certs when we placed the purchase order. Both of them furnished a certificate of compliance which says it conforms to an ASTM spec. Normally, when I ask for a cert from my steel supplier, I get a traceable lot chemical analysis type certification. Waiting to hear back from my plastic suppliers,but wondering is this the norm with plastic?

They can get manufactures carts . They will tell you they need to know when you order the material but unless they’re sloppy with there paperwork they can still get them . You should talk to other suppliers

Same as others describe above for plastics. I prob misunderstood my distributors explanation when I asked, but I think they explained that material testing is not done as often on plastic and not available unless specifically asked from manufacturer at time of manufacture, in conjunction with a very large order... all my customers accept the CofC just fine on plastics.

As most have said, c of c is the norm with plastic according to my suppliers. My customer will accept it so I'm all set.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Same as others describe above for plastics. I prob misunderstood my distributors explanation when I asked, but I think they explained that material testing is not done as often on plastic and not available unless specifically asked from manufacturer at time of manufacture, in conjunction with a very large order... all my customers accept the CofC just fine on plastics.

Yes, that's the basic gist of plastics manufacturing certification. I am speculating, but I imagine that the difference in certs between metals and plastics is most likely a function of the application differences, where many metals perform basic structural functions (conceptually, life safety), and this is relatively rare for a plastic material application. I worked in plastics fabrication and distribution in my early years, mid-70's to mid-80's, and never had an application or customer request that involved specific lot testing, other than the manufacture of windows for passenger train cars, which also required hot-stamping a Federal Railroad Administration marking into the polycarbonate windows. That was a case of large lots of material needed, and material certs required.

Back