What's new
What's new

Metal "shavings"

flipster

Plastic
I work for a tier 1 (we supply to OEM's) automotive supplier.

What do you think of everyone at our plant calling chips/turnings "metal shavings"?

For me its one of those things that doesn't really matter, but seems indicative of an overall poor training environment. It probably doesn't help that our chip control is pretty atrocious.

Ever seen a 4 to 6 inch wide form tool cutting axle shafts on a Acme?
What comes off looks like aluminum foil sheets and nothing like chips off a normal mill cutter or turning tool.
Here the word shaving might be a better description.
In more normal turning usage if it does not break is it a chip or a string?:willy_nilly:
Bob

For me its one of those things that doesn't really matter, but seems indicative of an overall poor training environment..
Perhaps you could tell us why you think this poor training or why it bothers you.
I do think of most all metal cutting ops as chip load or chip formation.
Are the things off a grinder chips or other? What is that called?

I for sure also should do the hey "great to have you aboard" with a first post. My bad and not a great intro on my part. Look forward to many more.
Bob

What do you think of everyone at our plant calling chips/turnings "metal shavings"?

For me its one of those things that doesn't really matter, but seems indicative of an overall poor training environment. It probably doesn't help that our chip control is pretty atrocious.

From my point of view if they name said metal objects they at least have some kind of idea what they are and where they come from. They have more smarts than the average Joe.

At least they arent decorating with them...

I did some work in an auto plant where they had "acids" and "caustics". I couldn't get it through their heads that all basic chemicals were not caustic, and all the caustics were not basic. Aside from the fact that's it was an abject failure in properly marking hazardous materials, if the idiots couldn't even be bothered to find out what the terms mean, I don't trust them to use them...

Ever seen a 4 to 6 inch wide form tool cutting axle shafts on a Acme?
What comes off looks like aluminum foil sheets and nothing like chips off a normal mill cutter or turning tool.
Here the word shaving might be a better description.
In more normal turning usage if it does not break is it a chip or a string?:willy_nilly:
Bob

Normally on an Acme or any other multi spindle screw machine shaving is a finishing operation which removes the absolute minimum of material to give finish and size to a component. I have done it on a single spindle B&S type machine but with home made tooling.

I hate lathe work so much, it pisses me off when the recyclers call my aluminum chips from my mills “turnings”…. It’s like they’re cheapening them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The scrap yard I use call them turnings. Does it really matter, if we are all aware of what the person speaking is referring to?

Maybe the area used to have allot of woodworking industry ?

IF they have 5S in place, it's called scrap and it better be on a truck heading to the scrap yard regardless what it is called!!!:ack2:

I put the solids in what I call scrap cans or buckets, every once in a while I will reclaim some and make small runs of parts with it. So were those pieces really never scrap or did I make parts out of scrap? Or if it is over a certain size is it a remnant? Please discuss,......................

Back