Michigan Stay At Home Order - Sole Propietors Ok to Work? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    My recommendation is to not take these orders passively. Contact your state reps and governor's offices. I have no idea who is informing these people's decisions, but being in public service they are obviously out of touch with how fragile a small business is. I recommend to urge them to start walking back these extreme stay at home measures and to recommend that those who are most at risk stay at home - not the other 80% who will only ever suffer mild, moderate, or no symptoms.
    Shame on you for daring to make a common sense proposal!

If not only the at risk but also those with symptoms of upper respiratory ailment stayed home the rest of us could get on with the business of life, including producing things that will be needed before, during, and after any crisis.

2. Likes Joe Miranda, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To Clarify I do work alone. I suspect they may back off on some of these orders based on some of the backlash from small business.

4. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    You think they are eager to have you open your window, speak with them possibly spreading aerosol droplets and then handle your license and registration?.

Last Sunday I was traveling 75 in a 55 zone on a multi-lane highway and I saw a cruiser come up on my right. I slowed to about 65 without braking but no doubt he had already clocked me if he wanted to. He drove right past at over 80 and also ignored people in the outer lanes doing easily 80 plus. I guess there are some advantages to the zombie apocalypse.
    Don't do that if you ever visit the police state of Virginia. 81 in a 70 is considered reckless driving and there are cops with speed guns all over the state hiding in the wooded medians. I hope they don't do a stay at home order here. The police are very heavy handed, they will stop you for things cops in other states don't care about.
    Expired inspection stickers, cracked windshields, having that brake light on the back of the roof out when the others are fine, etc,etc. If they did a shelter in place here they would probably have all cops on 12 hour shifts and check points all over the place. From time to time they run check points here and they aren't looking for DUI's. They are always mid day on days with good weather on weekends usually in spring and summer. I haven't seen any the last two years, maybe they stopped.

6. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    Just about every manufacturer here has declared themselves essential. Even the car plant is starting back up. The only place I know that completely shut down is Estwing.
    I am ok with that. I guess you could call me a hammer hoarder. Between hammers and mallets I found 17 of them. Only two of them are paired.

8. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I was thinking about making a sign for the rear window- "exempt- medical"- just something so that when the cop pulls me over...
    That’s not that bad of an idea. Folks that I know who work for larger businesses that do work in the medical field (but the employees are not medical people) have rec’d letters from the corporate office stating they are essential workers and exempt from the lockdown. The folks are supposed to keep it on their person at all times when away from home.
    Printing a letter for yourself from your business is not a bad idea.

10. Likes jancollc, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post

What part of WA are you located medsar? Puget Sound basin?
    Yep. I’m near the capitol.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about Ohio and Oregon, but here in MI, as an employee you are supposed to get it in writing from your employer that you are required to come in.

The company itself also needs written documentation from an exempt "critical" customer that their products or services are needed for continued operation of the critical business. Seems a prudent step to take in any case.

Edit to add: I don't think it needs to be formal or anything. Even an email stating "yes, please stay open, I need parts from you" should be enough.

13. Likes Ox, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    yep just tonight we here in Washington state found out in 48 hours were getting a stay at home order. Lucky for me I work 25' from my house so it well have zero effect on my job ,,, and seeing how half of seattle lives in tents and eat at the local food bank , its really not going to effect there jobs.

My heart goes out to the people that are really getting impacted by this shutdown and I just hope Americans remember for years to come how we can thank China for it ,,,
    It's the trump virus. Haven't you heard?

15. Likes Ox, Laurentian, mjk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My shop at a reasonable busy intersection.
    There is a lot less traffic on the street today so many must be staying at home.
    I do know some people going up north to open their cabins early since they are out of work and the infection rate up there much lower.
    Bob

17. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think everybody is much more careful of what they touch, and hand washing often...I am and so hope it slows down..and I don't catch it.
    I even washed my paper money, my charge card and my wallet.
    Not much to do so Janie and I are going for a five mile walk every day.

Oh! Iv got 2 bucks and change that needs washing....now.

19. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so first day of Ohio’s shutdown and I’ve noticed a little less traffic. Lots of blue collar, and construction types by my shop.

They drive a helluva lot better than the non essential workers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the future no cash or change, I do not want to touch you or your money.
    Burger King TV Commercial, 'Contactless' - iSpot.tv
    Where will this lead us because this is gonna stick long after this scare is gone.
    A game changer. Fear is such a motivator and there is no turning that facet off.
    We will not come out out of this the same. It is too deep now.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

So for all the "single owner" shops...it's now "Take your dog to work day" ?

23. Likes Bobw, thomj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dog always come to work,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20170408_183228_865.jpg  

25. Likes digger doug, Bobw, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    How does he run the Blanchard ?

27. Likes CarbideBob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a she, Chelsea is gonna get pissed at you if you walk in the door with that attitude.
    Such disrespect of any of our crew is not tolerated.
    She plays an important part here as did her predecessors buried along the shop wall.
    She brings fun and a light to the floor with no care about all this news or worry.
    Toss my squeaky ball or firehouse, life is good. That makes people not so crazy,
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    Ok, so first day of Ohio’s shutdown and I’ve noticed a little less traffic. Lots of blue collar, and construction types by my shop.

They drive a helluva lot better than the non essential workers.
    Seeing the same thing here. It looks like some of the local shops are remaining open. My Big problem is it's near impossible to drum up new work not being able to go door to door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    My recommendation is to not take these orders passively. Contact your state reps and governor's offices. I have no idea who is informing these people's decisions, but being in public service they are obviously out of touch with how fragile a small business is. I recommend to urge them to start walking back these extreme stay at home measures and to recommend that those who are most at risk stay at home - not the other 80% who will only ever suffer mild, moderate, or no symptoms.
    Joe, Your last suggestion would make a lot of sense IF we had effective testing.

Since the original reports came out suggesting that only old folks got seriously ill, we've learned it's not so simple. Healthy, even athletic, young adults are dying.

The good best part of your suggestion is that it should be relatively easy for those old and infirm to self-isolate. Those retired or already sick aren't showing up to work anyhow. I run a couple senior citizens' things and most are doing fine - having meetings with Zoom, taking long walks space a bit apart, still getting retirement checks, and so on. People like my wife and I, with a young "essential worker" living at home are more at risk.

The problem is that unless we know who among the working are either carriers or about to get sick; we'll still eventually get massive penetration of the virus until there is either a vaccine or herd immunity.

Right now we have three problems with our testing regime:

1) Our late and flawed start.
    2) The current test for the virus itself - now being deployed - is only about 70% accurate. Bit more complicated, since there are different % for false positive and negatives. But lots of people tested as "good to work" will actually spread COVID-19.
    3) The test for antibodies to the virus approaches 90% accuracy, but it's even further behind in deployment.

Eventually we'll sort this out. Meanwhile isolation is buying us some time to avoid even greater health and economic threats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are not and likely never will test the general population.
    That skews any data, test results or death rates
    Total dead tells some things to not be ignored, those are real numbers.
    I feel like the country and world has gone mad around me and yes stats say that I'm going downhill with this bullet.
    What have we become in this fast media and internet world?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    My Dane comes with me a few days a week and likes road trips.

I spend most days trying to avoid interaction with the general public, as much as possible. It makes me happy they have to stay away from me now too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

33. Likes Bobw, CarbideBob, Ox, Finegrain liked this post