What's new
What's new

Michigan Stay At Home Order - Sole Propietors Ok to Work?

TheBigLebowski

Aluminum
Reading Through Michigan's Stay at home order, there is a exemption for those who conduct "Minimum Basic Operations".

This states "For purposes of this order, workers who are necessary to conduct minimum basic operations are those whose in-person presence is strictly necessary to allow the business or operation to maintain the value of inventory and equipment, care for animals, ensure security, process transactions (including payroll and employee benefits), or facilitate the ability of other workers to work remotely."

As I read this sole proprietors should still ok to continue working, as we would fall under this category?

"Put your hands over your head and back away from that horizontal shaper! Real slow! Like a horizontal shaper!"

"Put your hands over your head and back away from that horizontal shaper! Real slow! Like a horizontal shaper!"

That's Kind of my worry, I could see the police in southeast MI getting overzealous. Its apparently a misdemeanor to "disobey" the stay at home order.

I've got a futon in my office.

I'm telling'em "Whadya mean, I live here."

I would think if you ran a solo retail shop selling, say , sex toys, you might get busted.

A solo manufacturer of the same sex toys, probably not

The fundamental idea is to limit interpersonal contact.

Other than theoretically the UPS man, you probably see no one

Just keep the doors locked.

Unless you're worried about spreading the virus to yourself?

Common sense, people. The entire world is in a state of emergency. Lawmakers don't have time to spell out every last detail. Most people don't even know what a machine shop is.

No one's going to bother with a solo machine shop with a locked door.

Almost all my work is already medical, so I don't think they'd go after shutting me down anyway.

Sole proprietor that deals with the public- he has to shut down.

I think WA is going to full-on "shelter in place" tonight.

edit: I see it's already ordered.

I would guess that anyone who owns any business can talk there way into being allowed to work alone. What you will not be able to do is talk your way into having all your employees still working too, or customers coming around. If cops show up just tell them you are staying at the shop to protect your inventory and equipment from theft, and that no one else is allowed to be there except you.

Aaahhh, but maybe he’s a 24\7 security guard?:D

I have lived in an apartment built at the shop on and off for many years, and that is exactly what keeps them from being able to hassle us. I am after all the night watch man, and allowed a living quarters.

I've got a futon in my office.

I'm telling'em "Whadya mean, I live here."

With the "Real ID" thing. My official address is now the shop. Me and the old lady, we've been co-inhabiting
for over 10 years, but it was her house, and I moved in. (I was renting a 1968 double wide). The property
is in her name, the mortgage is in her name, the electricity is in her name, the water is in her name, the
phone/internet is in her name.

The only utility bills I had in my name were at the shop, so now that is my official address. I'll change it
back to the house at some point, but for now, its the only way I could get a new license.

And only a futon? I've actually got a bedroom, a "living room" with futon and TV, recliner couch on the shop floor,
and a 34' camper outside with the coldest AC god has ever blessed a camper with. And there is another queen size bed
upstairs. So I have plenty of places to sleep.

Come to think of it, I could run a hotel. There is a second futon upstairs, and at least 3 or 4 more
full to queen mattresses floating around.

Just keep the doors locked.

Unless you're worried about spreading the virus to yourself?

Common sense, people. The entire world is in a state of emergency. Lawmakers don't have time to spell out every last detail. Most people don't even know what a machine shop is.
I don't even have to go outside to get in my truck at home, or out of it when I get to my shop. It's a wonderful thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But what if you manufacture opposite sex toys ? :eek:

I heard today that there is a bill in congress to allow gay men to donate blood even if they had sex in the last year. Currently they have to be celibate for one year before donating blood. But straight guys can give blood one minute after sex with multiple partners as long as they were female.
The FDA knows that straight guys do not get AIDS, only gays do.
Bill D

yep just tonight we here in Washington state found out in 48 hours were getting a stay at home order. Lucky for me I work 25' from my house so it well have zero effect on my job ,,, and seeing how half of seattle lives in tents and eat at the local food bank , its really not going to effect there jobs.

My heart goes out to the people that are really getting impacted by this shutdown and I just hope Americans remember for years to come how we can thank China for it ,,,

yep just tonight we here in Washington state found out in 48 hours were getting a stay at home order. Lucky for me I work 25' from my house so it well have zero effect on my job

I think you have a shorter commute than me, but not by much, I will have to measure it. I am guessing mine is 30-35'. How is that 25' measured? Shortest walking path from entrance to entrance?

I think you have a shorter commute than me, but not by much, I will have to measure it. I am guessing mine is 30-35'. How is that 25' measured? Shortest walking path from entrance to entrance?

shop is 20' from the backdoor on my house but the shop door is not in line ,, so taking the angle of like 10* I am thinking its like 25 feet.

one upside to the slow down is I can find time to play with the newbarry 75 ton injection molder ...

That's Kind of my worry, I could see the police in southeast MI getting overzealous. Its apparently a misdemeanor to "disobey" the stay at home order.

You might want to drop your crescent wrench before police see it or they make the charge domestic violence on the horizontal.

Back