What's new
What's new

More reasons for metals pricing turmoil...

Meh, never seen a cert that said Vietnam on it, only seen shoes come from there, and so far it looks like the Trump/China tariffs gamble worked and will be a good thing for the US in the end. So far he seems to be managing to get a few people to either sh*t or get off the pot, about time someone lights some fires under a few asses and tried to make a few deals that could benefit the US, instead of the other way around that its been for decades.
Too bad we got nobody doing that for us up here..

I just got a bit over 1000Lb of 316 quoted and it was about $3US/lb, which in CAD is the same I've paid for years, another place was about 12%more. They mentioned AL went up a bit, but again nothing more than just calling another place, or getting a different guy on the phone on a different day who actually wants to make a sale.

I noticed scrap went up a lot in the last 2-3months though, I was usually getting 30-35cents CAD$ for 316turnings and last time was 55 or something, a few other types were up too. Not real sure why, but I'd bet on speculators jerking each other, but eh, I'll take the $.

I'm in this for the end game...so if we have to pay a little more now, make a little less now as President Trump plays hardball...well I am willing to do that for an end game that benefits us in the end. With all the US Regulations, taxes and Trade policies in place we pushed manufacturing out of the country.

trend past decade is trying other countries besides China as its been expected that Chinese wages will go up and currency will get closer to fair levels. Worldwide corporations been planning this for a long time
so Vietnam, Thailand, Honduras, Turkey, South Africa, Brazil...... many items will be coming from other countries. a lot of manufacturing machines can be parked anywhere and plug in electric and compressed air and they run with minor adjustments. not unusual to pack up machines ship thousands of miles and plug them in somewhere else using a few experts to help out in the new country. this been done many times and will if anything increase in the future

I'm in this for the end game...so if we have to pay a little more now, make a little less now as President Trump plays hardball...well I am willing to do that for an end game that benefits us in the end. With all the US Regulations, taxes and Trade policies in place we pushed manufacturing out of the country.

Trump? Hardball?
You are kidding, right?
He has dropped the tariffs against China for steel. No hard anything about that. He has said he is worried about Chinese Jobs, so wants to drop the Sanctions against ZTE, which sold equipment to the Iranians with possible security/military usage- just like, Ol Oliver North did.
He has screwed the pooch pretty much completely on the Chinese trade negotiations, so far getting nothing, except some very vague promises.
However, he has managed to increase steel prices in the USA by 15% to 30%, for no apparent gain whatsoever.
He has dropped tariffs against everybody who actually sells us much steel, except the japanese.

I see no gain, but loss.

The pros at actually negotiating have taken a pretty dim view of his so called deal making skills- basically we are worse off with the chinese than we were under Obama.
So- you got the "pay now " part right, anyway.

Trump? Hardball?
You are kidding, right?
He has dropped the tariffs against China for steel. No hard anything about that. He has said he is worried about Chinese Jobs, so wants to drop the Sanctions against ZTE, which sold equipment to the Iranians with possible security/military usage- just like, Ol Oliver North did.
He has screwed the pooch pretty much completely on the Chinese trade negotiations, so far getting nothing, except some very vague promises.
However, he has managed to increase steel prices in the USA by 15% to 30%, for no apparent gain whatsoever.
He has dropped tariffs against everybody who actually sells us much steel, except the japanese.

I see no gain, but loss.

The pros at actually negotiating have taken a pretty dim view of his so called deal making skills- basically we are worse off with the chinese than we were under Obama.
So- you got the "pay now " part right, anyway.

back seat drivers always going to complain
way i see it nothing been done about balancing trade and tariffs last 30 years. got complainers saying out to do this or that but 30 years later nothing done. Trump at least trying.
takes less than 1 millisecond to realize ZTE deal is to get other deals for Americans. Trump was making roughly a Billion a year before elected president. anybody thinks he cannot make deals is nuts. got College professors saying Trump dont know about business. like is the college professor "expert" making a Billion a year ? most of the so called "experts" on the news i wouldnt trust to flush a toilet let along anything complex
and no Trump aint going to explain everything to slow people he is thinking 100 times faster than average person. Trump makes more money in one day then a lot of the so called "experts" on the news make all year

This is sad. So sad that you might actually think this. It does say a lot about the average Trump voter though.

Actually it says a lot more about the Trump haters
. You people have locked yourselves into these desperate fantasies that keep you thinking "any day now" despite repeated proof of successes that are making our President more popular each day with those who are more open minded.

That includes your "popular vote" fantasy. Nobody else gives a shit because we elect according to the rules set forth in the United States Constitution and those can't be changed without the approval of a majority of states (not a majority of the population) in a DELIBERATELY cumbersome process designed to prevent rash judgments.

Thank god for the electoral college!

Yes, indeed, the winner-take-all system designed to preserve state sovereignty did exactly that and prevented a majority in California from tipping the election. And enabled a now snowballing change in the makeup of the appellate courts, not to mention an inevitable two-judge majority on the Supreme Court. They can keep on not getting over that, too...

Back to the original post:- Where's the most value added, making a length of 1" 1040 or turning parts out of it, heat treating, plating and selling them? Adding tarrifs to the raw material imports was a stupid move, just designed to screw over everyone, whether foreign or domestic.

In my region brass is up almost 50% in the last 6-8 months, gas is up 50%. A friend revised a quote from January last week. + 40 % for aluminum and +35% for steel.

Better than soros, If that's how elections work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"soros" is not his actual name. Like most of the criminal tribe he has changed it to maneuver in the west. Start at the russian revolution and work forward to today and the rebranded traitors will amaze all.

Back