Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well, that new roof that you just hung doesn't appear to be overly friendly to 3' snowfalls.
    Damn. How did we (former) snowbelters miss that for this long?

The shed-slope addition no. The main roof pitch, neither.

Surely hope yah got metal standing rib PVF coated - or cerakoted Reinke shake - on it to slide snow off as fast as it falls?

First storm and still powder is only the opener. Let that partially melt, add more, repeat ....and... trouble "builds up". Literally..

Not sure I would have insulated that puppy.

Might want a Herman Nelson up in the attic for managing "interesting times"?

Not often we get that here in Virginia, but my insulation is in the attic floor.

Once every ten or fifteen years, I DO have to put heat to the UNinsulated underside of a too-shallow roof pitch, asphalt shingled.

Electric in my case, and "already there". Just two switches to flip downstairs, one of them a timer.

Even with BFBI expensive heat the few days in a decade needed, that insulation still saves a ton of cash, all the REST of the days, summer as well as winter.

Reinke Shake is still "in the plan", though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 years ago there was 5 feet or so, though I did leave a good size attic door that might would serve that purpose, we have a 350,000 diesel fired furnace. The building was built and engeneered for this area and snow load. Most of the severe weather goes on the east side of the mountains around here for some reason.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    2 years ago there was 5 feet or so, though I did leave a good size attic door that might would serve that purpose, we have a 350,000 diesel fired furnace. The building was built and engeneered for this area and snow load. Most of the severe weather goes on the east side of the mountains around here for some reason.
    That "timer" I mentioned is to a pair of dual-speed vent fans. Pull down the large (I WAS fat..) metal folding stair for inlet, and suck the heat from the shop/annex (two by 3500/5000 Watt electric forced air) up-hole to do the do - well spread out and gently.

"Total loss" unfortunately, because I WAS using a "too big" hammer of a propane fired Herman Nelson, just not OFTEN enough my budget had to much give a damn.

The other switch is a "sustainer" - a modest 1500 W electric forced-air space heater set where it can't set anything afire. That one needs no exhaust, so the heat gradually builds up when run 24-by.

2 methods worth... or not much worth.

Yer a loong way from the massive weather moderating influence of Chesapeake Bay, so...

And y'know? I actually have fond memories - grown fond only with distance, of course!

- of the winters of '49-50 and '50-51 in West Virginia and New England.. where we had to "tunnel" to get out the front door!

No lovely winter eye-candy vistas, THOSE days!

Too thick the ice on the INSIDES of ALL of our Old Skewl single-pane - even when double-hung .. windows! You wanted a recce, yah had to suit-up and go out doors.

Or out the window, actually, for a spell when the snow was too deep to git the doors open until we had back-tunneled to 'em.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unloading our HL2 came with a new set of challenges but it is one the floor and was only slightly scarry.
    This wing we enclosed is only 12 feet wide so we can't use the forklift inside the building like the others so we needed a new plan.
    So, plan "A" was to use the forklift to move the lathe just past the end of the trailer, prop it up with a few 2x6's and chain down the other end then lift the rear of the trailer so we could raise the locking device and get it where we could let it down with the hydraulics, knowing full well it was too heavy but we are going down so what could possibly go wrong? We moved the trailer to the door, set some 4x4's to set the rear ski on so the rollers on the other ski wouldn't send it flying across the room (aprx 9300lbs). So far so good, I opened the chain binder and nothing moved so I took off the chain, used a floor jack to lift it off the 4x4's and it started moving a bit faster than I was hoping so I dropped it back on the 4x4's and it stopped, perfect. I then picked it up again thinking it would start moving again, nope, so I had her come steer the floor jack while I got a pry bar to get the ski rollers up onti the diamond plate on the last 18 inches of the trailer deck and away it went again but only one side and the nut had come off the leveling bolt holding the machine to the ski, there she sits rocking like a rocking horse.So around the other side I go, shove a jack under it and lift it so the stud would go back into the ski, block everything in place and drag the trailer out of the way. we forked it, put skates under the other end and shoved it into the shop as far as we could and set it on a skate, put the nut back on and shoved hard as we could but it wouldn't move and the forklift is a foot too tall to fit into the doorway. Plan "B", we leaned the mast foreward about 35 degrees and let the forks slide into the shop in 2x4's until the hit the first ski and we could shove the machine in 6 feet or so and we could stand up the mast again. We got it pushed almost to where it needs to be found a couple of quart cups of ice and a bottle of whisky.

img_7588.jpg
    img_7589.jpg
    img_7590.jpg
    img_7591.jpg

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We got it pushed almost to where it needs to be found a couple of quart cups of ice and a bottle of whisky.
    Figure y'all don't actually have a "death wish", yer just sorta "teasing" at it?

Any landing yah can walk away from without immediate need of personal spare parts or coolant & lube refill is a good' un.... but still!

Two full pails of new US-made 3/8" chain, bucket of hooks, pins, clevises, 16-foot 6 X 6 pusher-timber when a FL can't clear the door (only a tad over 6-foot high even if 18-foot wide, my one is).

Can't lift. Sure as hell can push, AND pull, AND twist, and AND steer real good. And then go 'round t'other end and chain-drag. Assymetrically if need be.

Chain don't annoy yah with stretchy surprises as straps or cordage can do.

Quick, too, not havng to much mess with takin' up "slack" just to hit a given span. Good "single handing", IOW. As always.

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kustomizer - i have long held that most riggers have a rule that for each job, they must "scare the owner of their wits!!!"

(Finally found some that don't, and have used them all the time ever since.... Lower PTSD treatment bills to boot.)

Note, however, then when you ARE the owner you don't get Evil Rigger Points.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    kustomizer - i have long held that most riggers have a rule that for each job, they must "scare the owner of their wits!!!"

(Finally found some that don't, and have used them all the time ever since.... Lower PTSD treatment bills to boot.)

Note, however, then when you ARE the owner you don't get Evil Rigger Points.
    When we moved the first mill we were both on edge, now they are old hat, this one was the first where we couldn't use the forklift, it went fine but when a 9000lb machine moves a couple of inches faster than you like it causes some pucker. We had safety stops so it couldn't ever go to far and we kept out of the way. The trailer ramp is 9 feet long, it seemed like a 1/4 mile.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today was good, we got the lathe on its feet , in the right spot, I had 3 machines running parts for a few hours but had to shut down around noon so I could move the compressors out to the new addition. I put them in place and tool a siding panel off the wall so I could run the cord to plug it in. We made a trip to town (27 miles) and got some electrical parts. I should be able to make parts in the morning while I start running some conduit, in the afternoon she will help me pull in some wire. Thunderstorms are forecast for Friday and I still have a VMC and an ironworker on the trailer that would rather be indoors.

11. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today the last of the big machines went in, there is a lot of re-aranging to do and a bunch of stuff that don't fit that has to get shoved in anyhow yet to come. We are here for the most part,
    the view from the shop
    img_7610.jpg
    img_7611.jpg
    We are soooo excited, there is still a bunch of stuff to move but ie is all under 2 ton per piece.
    We are both so past over done.

13. Likes Fal Grunt, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are both so past over done.
    Prolly looked at each other, and more than just the one time, taken turns being the first to observe:

"Damn but we surely do travel with helluva lot more s**t than the average bear!"

...or words to that effect.

Mum had gotten used to it. Three more moves, and fifty years BEFORE she punched her last clock, she observed she had moved "PCS" three times single, TWENTY TWO times a reserve/active-duty sometimes "Army", sometimes USACE civilian Engineer's wife.

Mind they had divorced for a spell. Then remarried. Each other. After a nine-year gap. Kinda negotiated a new deal...

76th year, here, 30 years this same house and our one in Hong Kong, so... only a tad over FORTY moves already - 18 of her ones in-common, then my watch.

Counting long-stay private clubs and hotels not at all, and the multiple homes we've nearly always owned each but the one time, to be fair.

Kind of enjoyed watching some OTHER hard-working couple do all the work, this go!

Good on yah!

America is still in capable hands. Even if sore TIRED ones!

15. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Prolly looked at each other, and more than just the one time, taken turns being the first to observe:

"Damn but we surely do travel with helluva lot more s**t than the average bear!"

...or words to that effect.

Mum had gotten used to it. Three more moves, and fifty years BEFORE she punched her last clock, she observed she had moved "PCS" three times single, TWENTY TWO times a reserve/active-duty sometimes "Army", sometimes USACE civilian Engineer's wife.

Mind they had divorced for a spell. Then remarried. Each other. After a nine-year gap. Kinda negotiated a new deal...

76th year, here, 30 years this same house and our one in Hong Kong, so... only a tad over FORTY moves already - 18 of her ones in-common, then my watch.

Counting long-stay private clubs and hotels not at all, and the multiple homes we've nearly always owned each but the one time, to be fair.

Kind of enjoyed watching some OTHER hard-working couple do all the work, this go!

Good on yah!

America is still in capable hands. Even if sore TIRED ones!
    It's better when it's both of your stuff. My wife and I are both engineers, but my hobbies involve machine tools and things that include a couple thousand pounds of rocks. Hers involve yarn, fiber, etc. Rather amazing how light a box of fluffy yarn feels after carrying a box of tooling. She's never really happy about the process of moving my stuff despite always volunteering to be involved.

Getting off topic, but curious if you have any particularly entertaining military move stories? One of my many uncles in the USAF had a rather extensive collection of reference books, some 50 or so boxes worth. Stationed in Hawaii for a couple years they gave him a limit on what they would move, so he sent them a list with the #s he wanted, #5, #12, #22, etc. Seems the person who actually went to get them interpreted it as 5 through 12, 22 through X, etc. He was happy to have the extras until moving back a couple years later when it took a couple rounds of explaining that they couldn't reasonably limit him on how much stuff they moved back to the states for him since it was their mistake that brought all this crap out in the first place. Finally negotiated that they'd move it back, but on the condition he provide a full inventory list by title. He agreed on the condition that they send someone down to fully verify the accuracy of the inventory list, and suddenly they didn't need that list after all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    It's better when it's both of your stuff. My wife and I are both engineers, but my hobbies involve machine tools and things that include a couple thousand pounds of rocks. Hers involve yarn, fiber, etc. Rather amazing how light a box of fluffy yarn feels after carrying a box of tooling. She's never really happy about the process of moving my stuff despite always volunteering to be involved.

Getting off topic, but curious if you have any particularly entertaining military move stories? One of my many uncles in the USAF had a rather extensive collection of reference books, some 50 or so boxes worth. Stationed in Hawaii for a couple years they gave him a limit on what they would move, so he sent them a list with the #s he wanted, #5, #12, #22, etc. Seems the person who actually went to get them interpreted it as 5 through 12, 22 through X, etc. He was happy to have the extras until moving back a couple years later when it took a couple rounds of explaining that they couldn't reasonably limit him on how much stuff they moved back to the states for him since it was their mistake that brought all this crap out in the first place. Finally negotiated that they'd move it back, but on the condition he provide a full inventory list by title. He agreed on the condition that they send someone down to fully verify the accuracy of the inventory list, and suddenly they didn't need that list after all.
    Meahh "war stories" - civilian as well - can suck all the time out of a person's life, and then make a meal of his friends ....so.. "only the odd episode now and then" . as might serve contrast, (attempted) humor, or education.

This thread has been educational, for example. Very! And on a wide range of factors. The why of a move, foibles of construction, changes in climate, and many of the other side-effects we too often fail to take into consideration. Far more to it than just rigging and rolling wheel.

I/we value, and are thankful for that. It can help SEVERAL future relocaters to fewer "gotcha" situations. "PM, doing what PM does best".

Otherwise? Time and treasure having been "invested" in living the/a(ny) event(s) for-real the first go, more time revisiting could be like buying a beer, converting it to Vitamin P in the customary and ordinary manner, and then?

PAYING for it in time, over and over again each time yah revisit the "Great Beer Saga".

Better use of time to be clocking NEW events for NEW "war stories". Most especially if they don't even need tellin' about, ONCE!

Efficiency of living thing, yah?

Generally I'd rather leave the room for a good s**t, actually.

Try going without a good shit, war stories, or even SEX for two weeks?

I suspect you'll agree within a matter of 3 or 4 days into week-one that you will miss the good shit FIRSTEST and mostest of the lot?
    Last edited by thermite; 05-29-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the single worst thing that keeps happening over and over is the thing I need to complete this project is still in California, today it will be a fish tape so I can pull in wire to the new addition and put power to the machines in there without an extention cord.
    Sure is a nice view out the shop doors though, much nicer than the other place. I may have to put in a few windows about 8 feet off the floor so we can look out over the machines.
    img_7610-1-.jpg
    img_7611-1-.jpg

19. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the single worst thing that keeps happening over and over is the thing I need to complete this project is still in California, today it will be a fish tape so I can pull in wire to the new addition and put power to the machines in there without an extention cord.
    Sure is a nice view out the shop doors though, much nicer than the other place. I may have to put in a few windows about 8 feet off the floor so we can look out over the machines.
    img_7610-1-.jpg
    img_7611-1-.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the single worst thing that keeps happening over and over is the thing I need to complete this project is still in California, today it will be a fish tape
    Betcha can find a roll of uber-duty Kevlar weed-wacker cord in the town only 23 miles away. I've got kit up in the overhead with several "telephone man" fish "systems", basic #4 wire and UNDER also IS/IT coax goods.

The ones I USE most, now,, are a multi-section Big Box FRP flexi-rod set... that ignorant weed-wacker line . and our Old Skewl telco/IT conduit standby of pullng double run of thin, but strong, poly cord that STAYS in each run of the conduit.. for the inevitable "next time".

2CW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You gunna be fetchin' some horsies to keep the grass knocked down inside that area, or just counting on antelope to stop in on their own?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have weed-wacker cord and it will work fine, the pulls ain't too long, just one of them things that there are 2 hanging on the wall in the other shop, yesterday it was the knockout punch kit I didn't have but I had a hole saw the right size for some reason. A few tools I have borrowed from a neighbor, some I have bought yet another, a few are actually here, in a big green plastic box somewhere. It will all work out in the end. The boss is having a hellova time working out a system with her inventory in boxes spread out all over the floor rather than on shelves, she is Navy and yesterday she was using all of her Navy words as she looked for some parts not too much bigger than a kidney bean. I pulled the cork out of a bottle of her favorite wine, cooked her dinner and when I went to fetch her to eat I found the parts she was looking for sitting on top of one of the tumblers just inside the door, she let out a string that would make a sailor blush before I got a hug and a "thank you". Turns out she put them out the day befor as she knew she would need them soon, then forgot. I expect this will go on for a while between moving and shoving 7000sf of stuff into 3 buildings and a storge container totaling less than 3500sf. The views and the river afe definatly worth whatever troubles we get.

24. Likes TeachMePlease, Ox, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You gunna be fetchin' some horsies to keep the grass knocked down inside that area, or just counting on antelope to stop in on their own?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The UPS guy is going to bring a few pairs of cows, about 8 of the 10 acres is fenced for pasture, keeping the dogs out of the shit will be the new problem I imagine.

26. Likes Ox, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... she is Navy and yesterday she was using all of her Navy words
    ROFL Gotta LOVE it!

My one? Well.. Hong Kong "British" of Cantonese DNA?

In ENGLISH, she wouldn't use the word "fecal matter" if she had a mouthful of it, they can be so "proper English" as to avoiding "foul language" .. and criticizing use of it by others.. (Ich?.. nah..)

She has scant klew I understand enough Cantonese to have to try HARD not to laugh out loud when she and her University Classmates - then Major Corp Executives, now retired.. get to jawing and cussing ... in the richest, FUNNIEST, and most COLOURFUL of all of China's 150-odd recognized dialects.

"Guangdonghua" AKA "Cantonese!"

Example:

"What's that term y'all just used about my nearly six feet and your five-foot-nothing?"

"It means:

"Sex must resemble a dead-rat bounty-collection box hung midway up a city light pole."
    I mean.. it was like only a word and a half in HER tongue!

They have proven abbreviations and "shorthand" for this type of stuff a thousand and more years in common USE!

I did say "colourful?"

"Putonghua", or "Mandarin", by comparison is so rigid it is like trying to speak in product "bar code", set to music - or emulate a DTMF modem. NO variation allowed. Computers convert it flawlessly to text, 50 MHz Pentium days, onward, it is that speaker-independent stable.

But few CHINESE can even be BOTHERED to use it! Too dull, by half!

28. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it is spittering rain, we can't seem to muster much ambition between the pair of us, so we decided ot take a box to town to the FedEx pickup spot, get breakfast, hit the hardware store, let the hounds have a ride then piss away the rest of the day so it seems that fish-tape ain't gonna be a problem until tomorrow. Soon we have to start making places for small stuff, WOOHOO! ( not really)
    img_7600-1-.jpg
    img_7599-1-.jpg
    img_7592.jpg

30. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post