Moving our machine shop from California to Idaho - Page 16
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the werld?

You are waiting 'till you're all moved in to put instillation up on the walls?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    All the machines make it easier..............no need for ladders...........just stand on a VMC to stuff fiberglass..........................

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    All the machines make it easier..............no need for ladders...........just stand on a VMC to stuff fiberglass..........................
    And which of US has not had the same challenge?

As-in.. "the critical path is"... ALL this shit has to be in Idaho.

AND NOT any longer in Kalifornickyah, SSR.

"by this drop-dead date"

That's why we learned to juggle and re-prioritize.

Really, really EARLY in life.

I mean... as a baby, I still had only the ONE mouth ....and Mum had TWO nipples, yah?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

5. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the werld?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yup, got no choice, the spray foam guy won't come till it is over 70 degrees, he says he will put plastic over everything, does it all the time. I would rather done it empty but it was too cold.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is likely TMI, but this is the view off the master crapper.
    img_7623.jpg
    Last edited by kustomizer; 05-29-2020 at 04:16 PM.

8. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, how often does that creek get into the house?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats how we clean the floors, First pick up the beer off the floor then open a door on each end.

It is about 6-8 feet below the house and would be 150 feet wide before it came close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Yup, got no choice, the spray foam guy won't come till it is over 70 degrees, he says he will put plastic over everything, does it all the time. I would rather done it empty but it was too cold.

So - you are just stretching chords and air lines on the floor for now, until that gits buttoned up?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So - you are just stretching chords and air lines on the floor for now, until that gits buttoned up?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I am putting in conduit and 50 amp receptacles where the machines go, sometimes I end up moving them. Once I took a VMC outside so I could make some parts that were 26 feet long, ran it with a #6 extention cord. Anyhow the electrical is done and the emt conduit will be fine under the spray foam, right now I have 50 foot air hoses running along the walls to take air to the machines I am running (3 is about all I can run at a time, sometimes 2 is too many) but I plan to put in copper after the foam guy finishes. This whole process is like one of those puzzles with 1 empty hole and you have to move all the tiles around so you can get the one you want where you need it. Then of course there are the contractors, if something is in season, they all drop whatever they are doing and go track it, bait it, hunt it, trap it, or fish for it making it impossible to know when anything might get started let alone finished. I can't really blame them as we are moving here to do some of those same things, the difference with our work is that we try to maintain six months to a years worth of product on hand so if I hop on a motorcycle and go follow a cloud for a month or so it ain't upsetting our customers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Todays big project was a trip to town to get 8 new tires on the big trailer, every one of them had at least 1 tennis ball diameter lump on the sidewall after the air was let out, could it be caused by a bit of extra weight a few times too many? Anyhow $1,550 bucks later we have 8 shiny new 14 ply tires where the 10 ply's were before. The tread was such that they could have made the rest of the move "IF" they would have held up but even if the did it would be hard to sell with 8 "gona pops" on it. I think 4 more trips, maybe 3, time will tell. All the big machines are here now, a waterjet, sheet metal shear, box brake, leaf brake, a vertical doall, welder, plasma and 2 pickup loads of hand tools are coming. I still need to find someone to come get a good size granite plate, misc micrometers, mill vises etc but with our time availability there that may not be able to happen. Craigslist doesn't seem to work for me for small stuff, I put a few listings here at what I thought were cheap prices but there has been very little interest. We are going to end up filling up at least one of them 30 yard bins with stuff too good to throw away but not good enough to haul, desks, file cabinets, shelving, old fixtures, half used soft jaws, God knows what all else. A lot of it I would bring but without a place to put it there ain't much point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look back some oodles of pages, I think that I warned you of blown belts from overloading.
    Although, I was thinking more on your single rears on the truck at the time.
    I would have expected THAT trailer to have healthy tires on it. (mine came in well under-rated too)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look back some oodles of pages, I think that I warned you of blown belts from overloading.
    Although, I was thinking more on your single rears on the truck at the time.
    I would have expected THAT trailer to have healthy tires on it. (mine came in well under-rated too)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep, I remember, good advise too. That problem just compounded itself as we are not running most of the way at -10 to 20 degrees, my next few trips will likely be 80+ most of the way here and could be 110 on the way to California for a couple of hundread miles. Anyhow the heavy loads are in the rearview, now the odd shaped small stuff that is hard to tie on, and that is from someone who has never had trouble "tying one on".

16. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are going to end up filling up at least one of them 30 yard bins with stuff too good to throw away but not good enough to haul, desks, file cabinets, shelving, old fixtures, half used soft jaws, God knows what all else. A lot of it I would bring but without a place to put it there ain't much point.
    It sucks but throw it out. I wasted so much time and effort moving shit that I could have easily sold while under power before the move and stuff that got destroyed because I had no place to put it and scrapped it out anyway.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    It sucks but throw it out. I wasted so much time and effort moving shit that I could have easily sold while under power before the move and stuff that got destroyed because I had no place to put it and scrapped it out anyway.
    Yup, I ain't going to haul it,, got no where to save it, don't need measuring tools for 6-12 people, but it does seem like a start up would give a few bucks and haul the stuff off, if not, "like they say in Alaska, Deep six it".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look at her go, I poured her a glass of wine, reminded her it is 8:30, I went out to get what the riding mower wouldn't with the push mower and here she comes with a weedeater even though her left hand cant scratch her nose without hurting so bad it starts them Navy words again.
    Good woman but damn ornery. A few years back she wanted to get that ancestory dna test, I told her I allready knew what she was, she got a little heated up and asked what I thought she was made of, I told her she was half rattlesnake, half Appache, half Commanche, half Irish and a bit of eastern European. Turned out I wern't too far off. Can't lead her, sure as shit can't push her, just gotta wind her up and watch her go.

img_7626.jpg
    img_7627.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The UPS guy showed up with the automatic field mowers today
    img_7628.jpg

21. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The UPS guy showed up with the automatic field mowers today

How difficult was it to unwrap the package?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    How difficult was it to unwrap the package?
    That ain't the hard part with this technology

It's gittin' the damned BATTERIES into their compartment that's fussy as to having just the right kind of "work gloves".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That ain't the hard part with this technology

It's gittin' the damned BATTERIES into their compartment that's fussy as to having just the right kind of "work gloves".

These are the new solar powered units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dunno...I might have gone with an-udder style of mower...