Moving our machine shop from California to Idaho - Page 18
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bravo for your move, Kustomizer! I did one similar 30 years ago, NJ to WV. Had no buildings here, so bought a 1968 White 4000 road tractor with 238 Detroit and 15 speeds, and one at a time scrounged and bought 9 old "storage" trailers for my shop stuff and other "valuable antiques". Watch out buying old trailers from scrapyards! I ended up with an 8-foot planer and a 21" lathe from one, and then needed yet another trailer.
    This was just before the CDL, so all I had to do was check the box for "Chauffeur's license". Bought the truck, then had to figure out how to drive it home.

I knew about overloads, so I estimated the weight of each bit as I loaded it and kept a manifest. Second or maybe 3d load in a 34 ft trailer with Dayton tandems, had some old steel factory windows (without glass) laid flat in a stack about 5 ft high, filled with bricks. Hydraulic cylinders and pumps. Grinding wheels. 40-11 boxes of bolts. A 35 KW genset..........
    Got down my 1/4 mile driveway in NJ and the next 2 miles to the 2-lane and started thinking, "Oh, crap! Something 's wrong with the engine" because I was having a hard time getting up through the gears. The 8 tires under the trailer looked soft, but, dang, they have 100 PSI in them.

After about 100 miles I stopped to look things over and found I had broken a couple of the 3/4" bolts that hold the clips that hold the wheels to the cast spider. Replaced 'em, there by the side of the road. This happened twice more on the trip.

I hit the first 19% grade on my mile of driveway here in WV in Deep Reduction First gear with the engine on the governor at 2150 RPM. Topped that 40 yard pitch at 900 RPM. My usual ET for 430 mile trip was 10-11 hours, that trip took 22. Usual fuel consumption was 6 MPG, that time 4 1/4. I would love to know what it weighed. After that, I fixed up an old 2000 lb platform scale and learned that I was underestimating weights by about half.

Another load I had too much weight to the rear of the trailer, and ran out of traction on that first steep grade. Hooked a neighbor's cattle truck to the front of my road-tractor and my farm-tractor (which fortunately was on the second load) to the front of that, to get up that grade.

Tongue weight is your friend.

You are smarter than I was, to be getting your buildings up right away. I am still working out of some of the trailers. But never had a moment's regret about the move.

Sounds like you have utility power in Idaho, but you mentioned something about 30 KW of solar, We are off-grid here, and the 2 1/2 KW of PV we have runs the house and everything at the main shop but welding. But I want to expand it to power more and larger machines. If you have the time I would love to know what your solar power setup was like, and if you had/have 3-phase, how you did that and with whose parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our first leg of our trip is 90ish miles and uses all 30 gallons and sometimes I have to pour in another 5 to make it to the first fuel station. The rest of the trip looks more like 7mpg and 8-9 on the way back to California.

"Sounds like you have utility power in Idaho, but you mentioned something about 30 KW of solar, We are off-grid here, and the 2 1/2 KW of PV we have runs the house and everything at the main shop but welding. But I want to expand it to power more and larger machines. If you have the time I would love to know what your solar power setup was like, and if you had/have 3-phase, how you did that and with whose parts."

That solar system is in California.It is solar world modules and 5 sunnyboy su6000 grid tied inverters. The power there has 2-120v legs and 1-240v leg, yet it measures 242v across any pair, others here understand how that is but I don't, anyhow the inverters make 240v single phase and are hooked into the main panel in such a way that some are on that hot leg and the others are not. We used to have an electric bill there between the house and shop of around $1000. per month. I put wind up timers on anything I could dusk to dawn lights and changed some of the wiring in the shop with some big contactors to make it to where when the lights went off the belt sanders, drill presses etc went off too, as it was common with the noise of machines running after we left that small machines were left on too where the big machines shut themselves down when they finished their cycle. In the end we would typically power the house, shop, well, spring all with the solar and have a bit of a credit to next year in October when we would settle up with the utility. I think that is most of what I know about it.

We can't wait to be done.

3. Likes magneticanomaly liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Small town on the other side of the county that the wife works, the kids went to preschool there. She would drop them off and I would pick them up. Anyway, I was headed into town the one afternoon but I couldn't get in. Traffic was backed up, I could see flashing lights about 1/2 mi up ahead. I was getting ready to call her and let her know I couldn't get the kids when traffic started moving.

As I get to the flashing lights, there is a state trooper cruiser sitting in the north bound side of the state highway, parked sideways, lights flashing. Behind him, traveling up the north bound side of the highway are several hundred head of cattle. At the rear of them are two more state trooper cruisers, another cruiser riding the middle line keeping them in their lane, and several troopers on foot herding as necessary.

I wish I had a video of the whole thing, I didn't stop laughing for 5 minutes.
    As late as 5 years ago me and a few other guys would help a neighbor move cows up the hwy, 25-30 pr at a time. we would park a pickupw/stock trailer crossways to block the upper end and I would follow the herd with my dual wheel Dodge right up the center line, the cowboys/girls moved the cows on horseback, it seems like it took most of an hour to go a few miles.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    As late as 5 years ago me and a few other guys would help a neighbor move cows up the hwy, 25-30 pr at a time. we would park a pickupw/stock trailer crossways to block the upper end and I would follow the herd with my dual wheel Dodge right up the center line, the cowboys/girls moved the cows on horseback, it seems like it took most of an hour to go a few miles.
    Cattle laughing, gossiping, and farting the whole damned time at we fools who had to mine, drill, and work our asses off all over the wurld to create, "shoe", power, and lay road for as a means of transportation they wuz born with already on the ends of their muscular - and right tasty - legs.

Go figure they've no interest in taking a driving license test. End up on a dinner plate regardless? What's the hurry!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    ........Or Minneapolis, either. I hear that people in Minnesota are practicing togetherness these days.
    I lived my first 50 years within 20 miles of Minneapolis and St. Paul. I dont recognize those cities anymore. I have to laugh.....they have a "metro council" that promotes living within the cities....all the usual B.S.....they go so far as to grenade highway projects and any other projects that might make it less of a hassle to live anywhere but right in the city. Unelected people of course. It sort of reminds me of work.....you can get a promotion by doing good work or you can get a promotion by pointing out how much everyone else sucks....Metro council tries to make everywhere else suck. I watch what is happening and think "yep, glad i got out". At least when you are out in the sticks you can see the trespassers and politicians from a ways out and get ready for them.
    My brother lives in Central Idaho.....I have visited a few times....beautiful area. A bit dry and hot for me (high desert). Nice people. The locals always talk about the Californians that move there because they didnt like California.....and then try to make Idaho into New California. Not sure how much of that is reality. I liked it up around Couer d'Lane

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" The locals always talk about the Californians that move there because they didnt like California.....and then try to make Idaho into New California. Not sure how much of that is reality. I liked it up around Couer d'Lane"

Unlike most we left an area 5 miles from a small town where folks started crowded in around us for a spot in Idaho that is 5 miles from a smaller town and mostly surrounded by BLM land, not so we can change it here but so we can be left alone.

I never used to like cities, but I have come to appriciate them, as if we didn't have them all those folks might be around me. Like all the goings on in the cities now, I get that there is a problem but what them there folks are soing is in no way part of the solution. I am a poor tempered ol' bastard that wouldn't take too well to being blocked from where I want to go, or rocks thrown at my truck, or even having a sign shoved in my face, I cannot be where that shit goes on. If folks want to stand on the sidewalk and protest, I guess thats OK, They do that in San Andreas these days about various things.

8. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rural living seems so much sweeter in times like these.....................the garbage that is going on around the country is sickening and sorrowful.

10. Likes kustomizer, Booze Daily, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely thankful to be in a small town this last week.

I was doubly thankful a very close friend of mine flew out of LA on saturday.

I was concerned for a friend who lives a mere block from my old stomping grounds in Colorado, right off of Colfax from downtown Denver. I watched as the crowds descended on downtown last night for the 5th night.

I saw first hand the effects of Californians moving to Colorado and changing Colorado. One of the reasons I left 10 years ago. It has gotten much worse since I left.

However, kustomizer doesn't strike me as anything like those folks.

12. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I didn't recall what the OP had for tires, this vendor is always advertising in the back of "trailer life" magazine:
    Why Choose 19.5" Tires For Your Trailer?

However, having 19.5's on my truck I would NOT put them on a camper, jeesh doo they ride hard.
    A hauling flatbed ? yes.

17.5's have become the go-to for commercial grade livestock and equipment trailers. The performance is great, the cost not so much

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    I lived my first 50 years within 20 miles of Minneapolis and St. Paul. I dont recognize those cities anymore. I have to laugh.....they have a "metro council" that promotes living within the cities....all the usual B.S.....they go so far as to grenade highway projects and any other projects that might make it less of a hassle to live anywhere but right in the city. Unelected people of course. It sort of reminds me of work.....you can get a promotion by doing good work or you can get a promotion by pointing out how much everyone else sucks....Metro council tries to make everywhere else suck. I watch what is happening and think "yep, glad i got out". At least when you are out in the sticks you can see the trespassers and politicians from a ways out and get ready for them.
    My brother lives in Central Idaho.....I have visited a few times....beautiful area. A bit dry and hot for me (high desert). Nice people. The locals always talk about the Californians that move there because they didnt like California.....and then try to make Idaho into New California. Not sure how much of that is reality. I liked it up around Couer d'Lane
    I was raised on 51st street and 34th avenue, it was wonderful quiet great place to be. It's a shit hole now, business district is looted, shoe shop I worked at from 6th to 12th grade is looted, destroyed. The little diner I had breakfast with my dad at just before he died is burned to the ground. My sister lives a few blocks from there, says it sounds like a gun range around her house. I spent many a night in my drinking days at the Hexagon Bar. Great live bands, good food and plenty of brew since 1934, burned to the ground. The POS cop caused it no doubt. BUT, the dumbass mayor should have come down hard instantly on the troublemakers, nipped it in the bud right away. That would have prevented the shit that is happening now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't know that folks that started west of the Mighty Miss ever wandered this direction, and yet we have two in almost as many posts.

???

Anytime I head west, you always find that the folks there either were from here, or they have kin here.

Heck, one time - stopped at the last carry out heading east out of Col Springs on 24, and the lady asked where we were headed.

"24 hours straight up this road."
    (not that we was going to run 24 home, but ...)

Without missing a beet, she replied:

"Yeah, we have kin in Ney." (20 minutes S of me - just off 24)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

16. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    17.5's have become the go-to for commercial grade livestock and equipment trailers. The performance is great, the cost not so much
    If I had pland to keep these trailers I might change the rims but I am hoping to be rid of both of them in a few months

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I didn't recall what the OP had for tires, this vendor is always advertising in the back of "trailer life" magazine:
    Why Choose 19.5" Tires For Your Trailer?

However, having 19.5's on my truck I would NOT put them on a camper, jeesh doo they ride hard.
    A hauling flatbed ? yes.
    I put 19.5 wheels on my F350 pickup 15 years back and highly recommend them for a work truck . they do ride rough but the load carrying is fantastic. They wear almsot forever and with 100 Psi 14 ply tires I get better gas mileage then with stock wheels . My truck is distinctly a work truck and My wife has driven it once and been a passenger twice in the past 15 years so the rough ride is a small scarfice for the added utility. I am not sure that I would be as happy with the ride if I used them on a camper or a pickup that was used as more a personal vehical

19. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Harvie View Post
    I put 19.5 wheels on my F350 pickup 15 years back and highly recommend them for a work truck . they do ride rough but the load carrying is fantastic. They wear almsot forever and with 100 Psi 14 ply tires I get better gas mileage then with stock wheels . My truck is distinctly a work truck and My wife has driven it once and been a passenger twice in the past 15 years so the rough ride is a small scarfice for the added utility. I am not sure that I would be as happy with the ride if I used them on a camper or a pickup that was used as more a personal vehical
    A good friend of mine got 19.5 fever 15 or 20 years ago, whenever they started to get popular.

They have their place, but I really don't think 19.5's belong on a pickup at all. Stiff as a brick.

For a work truck, the best tire I have found is the Toyo M55. Wears like iron. Great in mud, snow, ice and load the hell out of them. Cooper STT is decent too, but nowhere near the lifespan.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    For a work truck, the best tire I have found is the Toyo M55. Wears like iron. Great in mud, snow, ice and load the hell out of them. Cooper STT is decent too, but nowhere near the lifespan.
    Cooper.. Nice LOOKIN' tires for small money. Until the Japanese and South Koreans started bringing better value-for-money.

Cooper usta bee the ones we'd put a new set of onto anything we was about to sell.

Also the ones we replaced - or at least "budgeted for"- if found on anything we had just bought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kustomizer, what wheels do you have on your dodge now? 18 is standard now isn't it?

All I can say is that having done a cross continental move with a goose neck, I will never again have a truck and trailer that use a different wheel and tire combination.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

having done a cross continental move with a goose neck, I will never again have a truck and trailer that use a different wheel and tire combination.
    NOT... as easy for y'all with "Big Boy" trucks and trailers.. but right there is a "fundamental truth"!

Dad.. shredded the multi-ply factory-specified tires off an Airstream 31-foot "International Land Yacht", same trek the tires on the 66 Dodge Polara purpose built to haul were still like-new!

Sooo. off to any handy Sears Roebuck, and the Airstream spent the rest of its days on the same top-end radials Sears was getting house-branded from Michelin.

Spares that fit "any wheel". CHECK!

Tires as are commonly to be had. CHECK!

And life on the road gets a tad less grotty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kustomizer, what wheels do you have on your dodge now? 18 is standard now isn't it?

All I can say is that having done a cross continental move with a goose neck, I will never again have a truck and trailer that use a different wheel and tire combination.

Same rim/tire truck and trailer?

Is that even possible?

Same bolt pattern?
    Same inner hole D?
    Trailer will take as tall'a tire as you want on the truck?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, 18 on the truck, I think if I had a dual rear on the pickup I could have made this happen. I have had dual rears on my last several ram trucks and deciced against it this time as the wife will run more errands to the city with the single because she doesn't like to use 2 parking spots, myself, I park way out and don't care how many I use. I will be getting some sort of smaller trailer when we are done and will make sure it uses the same wheels as the pickup. I have been hauling 4 spares most trips, 2 for the truck and 2 for the trailer. She has 1 for her car and 1 for her trailer.

We bought this pickup because I have never had a use for a 4wd truck but here in Idaho I think I am going to need it, we bought her Explorer because her Expedition was wore out and she wanted a smaller car but we didn't want to start this endevor with old trucks or trailers. We have been impressed with 3 of the 4, the cargo trailer by Mirage is poorly assembled from likely good parts but with the lack of support from the dealer and the factory I would never darken their door again. As tires have gone the tires on hers are 60% or better still so they will be on it when we sell it here soon. My trailer had China tires by Onyx 10 ply's from the factory and a local store had 8 of the same in 14 ply so that is what we put on, I am too close to the end game to look for rims at this point. The pickup came with Firestones that were gone in 18,000 miles where I put Coopers on and they were done when the clock hit 42,000, they were supposed to go 65,000 so Cooper paid for 75% of the new set, I think they will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Same rim/tire truck and trailer?

Is that even possible?

Same bolt pattern?
    Same inner hole D?
    Trailer will take as tall'a tire as you want on the truck?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    From what I have seen I would say so? Trailer my brother has, uses the same wheel/tire as my old F-350 did.

The hot shot trucker I machine parts for, all of his trucks and trailers have the same wheels/tires. Now there is some variance, his dually dodges obviously use different tires, but otherwise his SRW trucks are the same.

When I looked at trailers last year the trailer shop said I can order the axles with whatever spindles I want?

I know the trailer that I did the cross continent move with was some STUPID size we had to go to 4 different tire shop and couldn't find a WHEEL at any. We finally found a scrap yard that had a wheel. Then we went back and only 1 tire shop had a tire in stock that was sorta the right size/configuration.

All credit for that trip has to be given to my brother, and I have to take a moment to praise him. A trucker and diesel mechanic, he drove 20 hrs straight from OH to CO. Spent the next day building a box on the goose neck to move all our possessions home and we got everything loaded and squared away. We left at 6am the next day. When we hit the bridge into St Louis, everything worked out perfect that the quick rise up, had us hitting bottom right at the transition onto the bridge. The hit was hard enough that it bent the front axle, destroying that tire and wheel, shredding the rear tire and bending the rear wheel. I thank god he had on worked on countless road calls that were worse and was able to limp us off the highway. Through an amazing configuration of straps, clamps, and some not so appealing compromises, he got us to a hotel, and we un hooked. In one of the worst neighborhoods of St Louis.

He did alot of things that weekend that I am still amazed and thankful thinking about.

Back to your comment though, I run my trucks pretty much stock. Factory tire size works for me. Certainly there are trailer applications that you wouldn't be able to run the same tire size, or wouldn't want to. A friend has an equipment trailer than I hate borrowing because when you unload the mini-hoe you have to skate the bucket because the departure angle is so steep. He and his employees will drive a skid steer on one wheel and not blink. I'm chicken shit when it comes to those kinda things.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming