Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have talked quite a bit about trucks, trailers, tires and the dummy who puts too much weight on all of the above but I have not made much mention about the other stuff we wrecked as a result of having one old man and his wife do something a rigging company should be doing. I had a couple of PM"s a while back from guys following this just so they would know what not to do and thats OK too.

We broke an oil lind on one of the VMC's, it took 2 weeks to get the plastic line and fittings as the HFO in Missoula was not allower to sell me parts until we transfered our machines to Idaho from California, protecting their dealers I guess. I've been ignoring it up to Today, I pulled off the Y axis covers as they are easy and I thought I would see something, I did, no oil leaks however the oil line was not in the black plastic conduit and was several inches too short to work. We pulled off the table extention so we could get the right x axis cover off and after some cussing got it changed. I pulled the z axis cover loose from the top and could see oil dripping when I pumped the pump and with flashlights and mirrors was able to see the problem, it had never been tightened enough right from the factory, the ferril and the little brass tube that goes inside the plastic tube were up inside the manifold and I was able to take the nut off without a wrench. We made up a new line and we are back up and running. This is a 2002 machine, I imagine the 1000 mile ride to Idaho , the cold weather a few months back and some plastic shrinkage? anyhow it works again.

I lost a speed control knob off the Hardinge Chucker with that facing the outside I thought for certain it was gon but I found it yesterday under the bed, in the chip pan, hiding but undamaged.

We have moved our HEM saw a dozen times waiting for the expantion to be where we could put it where it goes, on this last time a fork slipped and scalped off the 110v out let that supplies power to the coolant pump and the air line to the main vise, I picked up the parts a few days ago and will fix it this weekend. The vertical stop for the saw arm is gone, I swear I put it and the pin in a box but I'll be damned if I can find them, a phillips screwdriver seems to work.

I smashed one of the chip tubes on one VMC when I set the chucker on top of it, I knocked it back into shape with a dead blow, oops.

I had rubber pads in tool trays on the VMC's, on Top of the HEM saw and a couple of cabinets I forgot to collect and they are gone now.

We are a ways from done but all in all things have gone as good as can be expected. She and I were talking a few days back and got a chuckle, when we were in the planning stages we had it in our minds that we would jump in the truck on Friday once a month, haul a load that day, unload Saturday and Sunday and haul ass back to California on Monday so we could be working on Tuesday. We have been able to keep ahead of our customers needs but we are working on 2 weeks unloading out last load and are bushed every afternoon. Making parts, assembeling, shipping, unpacking, unloading machines, hooking up wires, air and leveling them has been quite the adventure. I am looking foreward to learning how to fish.

2. Likes Fal Grunt, Ox, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doo you need a fishing license if you own the property and A River Runs Through It?

I've never bought a fishing license.
    Not fished since I was 17. (16?)
    I don't even like to eat fish, so ...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Definitely thankful to be in a small town this last week.

I was doubly thankful a very close friend of mine flew out of LA on saturday.

I was concerned for a friend who lives a mere block from my old stomping grounds in Colorado, right off of Colfax from downtown Denver. I watched as the crowds descended on downtown last night for the 5th night.

I saw first hand the effects of Californians moving to Colorado and changing Colorado. One of the reasons I left 10 years ago. It has gotten much worse since I left.

However, kustomizer doesn't strike me as anything like those folks.
    I guess I never mentioned, I lived in LA from 1966-1976, I know about cities, I just don't want to be in one. My folks had the Indian motorcycle shop im Monrovia where they bought it from Sam Pierce, they moved the motorcycle shop, sister and I to Mokelumne in 1976. Pops and I went in Feb a few weeks before escrow closed and we lived in the quanset hut that would become the shop, we put up shelving while we waited for the 13 fourty foot semi's to show up out of order and in a hurry to unload. Some stuff was never found and he had guys sorting stuff that got mixed up until he sold to Indian Of California who also bought California motorcycle company in Gilroy who made Indians.

5. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that puts a bit of a spin on your wanting to rig and haul it all yourself...

At least if it gits broken or lost, you are not looking at anyone else.
    You know that it was the wife's fault.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Doo you need a fishing license if you own the property and A River Runs Through It?

I've never bought a fishing license.
    Not fished since I was 17. (16?)
    I don't even like to eat fish, so ...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I think I am supposed to but I have not checked. If I start drinking and fishing I may loose the summer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that puts a bit of a spin on your wanting to rig and haul it all yourself...

At least if it gits broken or lost, you are not looking at anyone else.
    You know that it was the wife's fault.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I had 3 quotes, because neither shop could have a big truck the machines were going to have to go on small trucks 2 at a time to Sacramento, when they all got there they would get a big truck to haul them to Boise, put them on some small trucks again and haul them here 2 at a time. I could envision being out of commission for a month or more and the low quote was 88,000 for the 8 CNC machines, we would have never been able to keep our customers happy. We would still have had to buy the trailers, I checked on Uhall's and they are about 5k for a 24' one way and they wouldn't have liked the weight of the small stuff so we would be looking at shulleling stuff from the house to town, load it in a 40 footer, meet him here and unload it again all in a rush as the truck needs to be somewhere else? In the end this looked like an easier way to get from nowhere to nowhere else, keep some of our sanity. Besides, what is life without a challenge now and again?

We did not "want" to haul it ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I "got it" before, just thinking that this experience may have put some bad taste in your mouth as well.

It appears that you did not have a gooseneck before tho.
    You had them all hauled in?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I "got it" before, just thinking that this experience may have put some bad taste in your mouth as well.

It appears that you did not have a gooseneck before tho.
    You had them all hauled in?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    It ain't been too bad, we needed some together time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week wasn't quite enough.

I made a heavy gooseneck some years to haul my track loader to the folks place to fix their driveway and scrap metal to market.
    They passed and I met Fred, he would show up, load the scrap, haul it, sell it for more than they would give me as he was there every day. I got 300-500 bucks more after paying Fred than I gould get hauling it myself and saved a day in doing it. After putting 2 sets of tires on it in 5 years so I could loan it to friends I sold it.

Yep, bought them new and delivered

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, we spent the last week running parts, conduit and fishing wires, I am hoping to get the HEM saw fixed, I got power to it today. I have to cut blanks soon as I am about out, I just finished a job I started 14 months ago.
    in the mornimg I have a service appointment for the pickup, oil, fuel filters and I had some kind of alarm about an active air box?
    We need to get her trailer unloaded and head out to California for another load soon and as I understand our little town there in under cerfew? WTF? In Idaho the residents show up with their AR=15's and keep the peace.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like we will be landing in California a bit after "cerfew", whatever that means, I don't know if that is only for foot trafic or if it includes cars and trucks too. Could be we end up on the 6:00 news.

13. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    It looks like we will be landing in California a bit after "cerfew", whatever that means, I don't know if that is only for foot trafic or if it includes cars and trucks too. Could be we end up on the 6:00 news.
    Prolly just one more government departmental abbreviation:

caliphoney enema, required for every wussy.

Phone call or two ahead of time any help?

Get any BS, just pay yerself back for some of the over-work yah both been carrying too much of, break the run with an overnight enroute -- and see about arriving well-rested, next morning.

Cheaper than hassle.

Does PM not a bit of good, y'all even LESS ...yah complete the move ...then croak the next day off the back of a heart attack from workin' double shift and more, for all this time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Does PM not a bit of good, y'all even LESS ...yah complete the move ...then croak the next day off the back of a heart attack from workin' double shift and more, for all this time."

We're gona try to avoid that one. The overnite is a PITA with a german shorthair and 100lb Doberman, We switch off on the way to California so the other can nap and on the way to Idaho we sometimes have an hour or so nap too.

Hey, getting here was fun, following the river road 2am the morning of a wind event up and down, hard left, hard right like most mountain roads following a river do, then up a fairly steep climb with a 25mph x 270 degree turn and there crossways in the road is a 50 foot tree with the stump setting atop the gaurd rail and the whole road blocked. If you want a challenge as you are halfway through your first cup of coffee, try backing your pickup with 40 feet of trailer behind you in the dark around said 25 mph turn while keeping all the wheels on the road as you try to unstick the stump from the guard rail and move the tree out of the lane so you can drive by. We couldn't get the winch to do it as we couldn't get the pull much less than a 45 degree and the cable all bunches up till it won't turn. We ther there dicking around for a half hour or so I guess all the time cussing myself for leaving the chainsaw I have been toting around for 4 years now since the Butte fire as sometimes it has been damn handy. I cut up a dead tree by the driveway the other day so the excavator guy could push it over ( I left it 16 feet tall or so ) and remove the stump to keep it out of the way of plowing. Got pressed for time leaving even though we stayed an extra day. My crystal ball sometimes forgets to show me a few things I should haul back and forth. I was so concerned about getting ass ended I forgot to snap some pics, we got down the road about 40 more miles where the cell would make a call and sent 911 to go get it and a 3 foot diameter bolder out of the road. I can see the wind blowing over the tree but the rock? The weather alerts on my pickup radio kept saying it was blowing 30 and gusting 60.

16. Likes Fal Grunt, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Does PM not a bit of good, y'all even LESS ...yah complete the move ...then croak the next day off the back of a heart attack from workin' double shift and more, for all this time."

We're gona try to avoid that one. The overnite is a PITA with a german shorthair and 100lb Doberman, We switch off on the way to California so the other can nap and on the way to Idaho we sometimes have an hour or so nap too.

Hey, getting here was fun, following the river road 2am the morning of a wind event up and down, hard left, hard right like most mountain roads following a river do, then up a fairly steep climb with a 25mph x 270 degree turn and there crossways in the road is a 50 foot tree with the stump setting atop the gaurd rail and the whole road blocked. If you want a challenge as you are halfway through your first cup of coffee, try backing your pickup with 40 feet of trailer behind you in the dark around said 25 mph turn while keeping all the wheels on the road as you try to unstick the stump from the guard rail and move the tree out of the lane so you can drive by. We couldn't get the winch to do it as we couldn't get the pull much less than a 45 degree and the cable all bunches up till it won't turn. We ther there dicking around for a half hour or so I guess all the time cussing myself for leaving the chainsaw I have been toting around for 4 years now since the Butte fire as sometimes it has been damn handy. I cut up a dead tree by the driveway the other day so the excavator guy could push it over ( I left it 16 feet tall or so ) and remove the stump to keep it out of the way of plowing. Got pressed for time leaving even though we stayed an extra day. My crystal ball sometimes forgets to show me a few things I should haul back and forth. I was so concerned about getting ass ended I forgot to snap some pics, we got down the road about 40 more miles where the cell would make a call and
    sent 911 to go get it and a 3 foot diameter bolder out of the road. I can see the wind blowing over the tree but the rock? The weather alerts on my pickup radio kept saying it was blowing 30 and gusting 60.
    "Geological time includes now."
    While not that big, rocks in the road big enough to ruin the day of you and your car are regulars after storms in some of the back woods that I like to visit. I figure most of the time it's that the water tends to finally erode out enough of the support that the weak wet rock lets go. Others the tree or other big object taking the tumble encourages some of its neighbors to try out this new moving downhill thing. Hiking up through hills in the middle of nowhere it often seems half the things on the hill are just barely there, which isn't far from just barely not.

18. Likes kustomizer, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On our last trip to Idaho we decided to start cooking our meals rather than peanut butter sandwiches that we have been eating since the coved thing shut down the restaurants. The Cummins ram has a large flat plastic cover on top near the oil fill so I put a bungee cord across it and we put a gallon freezer bag under it, fold the zipper over the bungee and clip it with a clip she has fir potato chip bags. So far we have made ham and cheese sandwiches, tomato soup in a foil lined box and an omelette.the sandwiches we foil wrap, the omelette we put bell peppers, onions, ham, seasonings and eggs, we used two bags for this. We put the food on the engine when we stop for fuel in Arco, when we stop in Twin Falls about an hour and a half later breakfast is done and a few hours later we did pastrami and rye for lunch. She was shocked when she saw the omelette setting there all nice, hot, and the eggs were cooked just right.she hates runny eggs.

20. Likes TeachMePlease, Ox, DrHook, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On our last trip to Idaho we decided to start cooking our meals rather than peanut butter sandwiches that we have been eating since the coved thing shut down the restaurants. The Cummins ram has a large flat plastic cover on top near the oil fill so I put a bungee cord across it and we put a gallon freezer bag under it, fold the zipper over the bungee and clip it with a clip she has fir potato chip bags. So far we have made ham and cheese sandwiches, tomato soup in a foil lined box and an omelette.the sandwiches we foil wrap, the omelette we put bell peppers, onions, ham, seasonings and eggs, we used two bags for this. We put the food on the engine when we stop for fuel in Arco, when we stop in Twin Falls about an hour and a half later breakfast is done and a few hours later we did pastrami and rye for lunch. She was shocked when she saw the omelette setting there all nice, hot, and the eggs were cooked just right.she hates runny eggs.
    Grew up from childhood doing that. Dad had been farm-boy. ALCAN highway pioneer road location NCOIC, then CE, "Trailblazer" Divison 89 hard-freeze German Winter days in the line. Back in the world, he and Mum made it a point to eat better on the road than most folk did to-home.

Fast-forward to my Cantonese wife and 94 years young M'In-law? it would stun yah, what that pair can create anywhere on the globe off next to nuthin' yah even noticed tucked into the odd corner of an oversized handbag and whatever it is interesting the locals have handy.

Late F'In-Law got the 5 kids together, headed out, he'd proudly say something onct loosely translated to me as: "eating machine is going on field maneuvers!"

Get you a pair of these. Work waaay better than the "prettier" civilian stuff.

Cook right in'em, latched shut, foil-wrap only to keep the fumes out. Safe and easy handling & clean-up, low risk of injury, food contamination or loss:

https://www.amazon.com/Goetland-Stai...7F89JBGDB&th=1

Ugly? Sure 'nuf are. But many millions have lived out of them and learnt their all around value.

"Gourmet" selection frozen dinners, nice toweling for dress-up and spills, and yah eat well, no preparation effort, still ain't spent the half of a generally lousy restaurant meal.

Caint help but have long memories of this trek.

Make 'em GOOD ones, 'coz it's a fair safe bet you won't do this s**t TWICE!

Verboten. Rest of us are about plumb wore-out just sweatin' the riggin' and watchin' at it from a lazy distance!

22. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice way to cook. I was gifted the cookbook "Manifold Destiny" when it first came out and it is pretty good, cooking time is given in miles IIRC.
    When we would take my jeep on trail runs I had a deep aluminum bread pan wired onto the engine and it would hold two burritos, ready for lunch. had to be deep to keep them from falling out. The alternator welder had a 110v dc outlet on it that ran the blender just fine for margaritas.
    Link to book, looks like it has been revised a few times. They mentioned that Rolls Royce had a car that had a small oven cast into the engine block, maybe in the 20's or 30's?
    Manifold Destiny (cookbook) - Wikipedia

24. Likes kustomizer, DrHook, David Ferguson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    . had a deep aluminum bread pan wired onto the engine and it would hold two burritos, ready for lunch.
    Burritos? Gawd. I might be more gourmand than gourmet, actually like Salvadorean cuisine served just around the corner, here - not to mention what transpires in Austrias, Cantabria - Hell MOST of Spain itself...but still... Burritos?

Cudda just carried a spare oil filter, made the swap, hit the old filter with a can-opener, eaten the stuffing wrapped in massa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Burritos? Gawd. I might be more gourmand than gourmet, actually like Salvadorean cuisine served just around the corner, here - not to mention what transpires in Austrias, Cantabria - Hell MOST of Spain itself...but still... Burritos?

Cudda just carried a spare oil filter, made the swap, hit the old filter with a can-opener, eaten the stuffing wrapped in massa.

So what's wrong with a burrito? A good one is great eating, not the kind you get at taco bell AKA toxic hell! Some of the best were had off the huge roach coach that showed up at the Long Beach Ca. Indy Car race. Made to order by Mexican women in the coach, about a hundred of us race mechanics had breakfast there for the 4 days we were there and looked forward to breakfast there in a year. We talked about that coach at lesser breakfasts the rest of the season.

27. Likes Graham Gott, kustomizer, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    So what's wrong with a burrito? A good one is great eating, not the kind you get at taco bell AKA toxic hell! Some of the best were had off the huge roach coach that showed up at the Long Beach Ca. Indy Car race. Made to order by Mexican women in the coach, about a hundred of us race mechanics had breakfast there for the 4 days we were there and looked forward to breakfast there in a year. We talked about that coach at lesser breakfasts the rest of the season.
    You HAD to ask an Old Fart 70 years at the food-pre craft, whose major remaining pleasure in life is preparing foods in two dozen and more "languages"?

Give yah credit for courage. Let's see if "patience" - or at least plenty of curiousity came with it! Not offended yah SKIP this if you ever eat "fast" foods AT ALL. "Slow cooks RULE!'

A "burrito" - "North American Market invention". Tacky-Hell or other.. . is far from the worse of meso-America's "ethnic" foods. Or so they claim it is.

The versions you get USA, generally run higher in meat protein, salad-ey leafy veg, lower in starch and beans and "should be" dry-ish well-done but still tender lean meat strips, not greasy, never ground. Low/no at-large fats or oils at all as a generalization.

We may be on different metrics, already? "Feel good" belly-pleaser/ EXPANDER, vs healthier and sounder nutrition of the more lean and fit?

The "Gringo Burrito" is not that close to what the less-affluent locals see under other names. Theirs are low, even NO meat, and if so, NEVER "ground". Ground meat could be ANYTHING. Only the richest of nations of the word dare to "trust" that when not prepared in their own eyeshot. And even we probably should-not? WTF IS in a"Big Mac", anyway? And what is NOT?

Alkali-processed Corn massa, "at all", OTOH, is a palate-deadener. Hungry and no other option, I'd at least unwrap it and discard the wrapper so as to better savour the filling.

All too easy for me to go back to adding to stored fat and/or "re-risk" the family tendency towards adult-onset diabetes we have had to work HARD to put back in its box.

Similar position as to avoiding "polished" white rice. Library paste with texture as far as I'd rate it! Most"white bread" and those G-damned fast food BUNS, near-as-dammit the same.

And then we turn a starch almost "at once" to sugar? See the amylase clan. Go ogle "ptyalin". Diabetes and obesity overly prevalent in America? Gee golly? Wonder WHY TF, and HOW TF, that could possibly be? Could was 60 times the amount of SALT as we actually need adds to the cravings for GREASE as well as sugars?

The righteous avoid sugared drinks for Diet sweeteners claimed harmless to the human? Maybe. But we carry GUT bacteria as generate carcinogens off those sweeteners. And then? Bowel and colon cancer rates go up?

A drop of vinegar is tasty. Waaay safer than salt.
    Plain lime juice, no sweetener at all, makes a refreshing beverage.

Hong Kong home, we don't use "white" rice often anyway. Mixed grain we call "dirty" rice, rather, also non-rice noodles, potato, taro, Lotus root, chestnuts, and other starches less-familiar to westerners easily as often.

One of the reasons our typical 16-plus head Saturday family dinner (pre-COVID) had never fewer than 13 "dishes" is that most of us only favour about a third of them, .. and not the same third! Some among us are dead-strict vegetarians, others 'in between". Chinese might "look alike" (not really), but don't necessarily EAT alike. Have to have no fewer than four, better yet six, even for "dim sum" to work. Short a head or two? Ring up a friend or relative, set another place at table. Enjoyment goes up, folks "catch up". Seamless. You may be getting that call, next go.

Chinese food for one or two? Simply not Chinese. May as well be Mulligan stew with soy sauce. They insist on "separate" flavours, and many of them, never two dishes having the same sauce or dressing, if even any at all, LEAST of all what I call "Dreadful Brown". That's an "American Market" thing. Again.

Hard to do good food well for ONE, two -- or even the few.

That.. is MY "Gweilo loner" eclectic speciality - not their collective one!

BTW.. NO ONE , age four to 94, leaves that table HUNGRY. Nor stuffed, either one. And "leftovers" are not an Asian "thing"?

Accurate estimating for a multitude? Uncanny how well that part is done to get it Goldilocks "just right".

"QED"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

she hates runny eggs.
    From the description of you and the lil woman, this song must be about both of you............................

30. Likes kustomizer, Fal Grunt liked this post