Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have talked quite a bit about trucks, trailers, tires and the dummy who puts too much weight on all of the above but I have not made much mention about the other stuff we wrecked as a result of having one old man and his wife do something a rigging company should be doing. I had a couple of PM"s a while back from guys following this just so they would know what not to do and thats OK too.

We broke an oil lind on one of the VMC's, it took 2 weeks to get the plastic line and fittings as the HFO in Missoula was not allower to sell me parts until we transfered our machines to Idaho from California, protecting their dealers I guess. I've been ignoring it up to Today, I pulled off the Y axis covers as they are easy and I thought I would see something, I did, no oil leaks however the oil line was not in the black plastic conduit and was several inches too short to work. We pulled off the table extention so we could get the right x axis cover off and after some cussing got it changed. I pulled the z axis cover loose from the top and could see oil dripping when I pumped the pump and with flashlights and mirrors was able to see the problem, it had never been tightened enough right from the factory, the ferril and the little brass tube that goes inside the plastic tube were up inside the manifold and I was able to take the nut off without a wrench. We made up a new line and we are back up and running. This is a 2002 machine, I imagine the 1000 mile ride to Idaho , the cold weather a few months back and some plastic shrinkage? anyhow it works again.

I lost a speed control knob off the Hardinge Chucker with that facing the outside I thought for certain it was gon but I found it yesterday under the bed, in the chip pan, hiding but undamaged.

We have moved our HEM saw a dozen times waiting for the expantion to be where we could put it where it goes, on this last time a fork slipped and scalped off the 110v out let that supplies power to the coolant pump and the air line to the main vise, I picked up the parts a few days ago and will fix it this weekend. The vertical stop for the saw arm is gone, I swear I put it and the pin in a box but I'll be damned if I can find them, a phillips screwdriver seems to work.

I smashed one of the chip tubes on one VMC when I set the chucker on top of it, I knocked it back into shape with a dead blow, oops.

I had rubber pads in tool trays on the VMC's, on Top of the HEM saw and a couple of cabinets I forgot to collect and they are gone now.

We are a ways from done but all in all things have gone as good as can be expected. She and I were talking a few days back and got a chuckle, when we were in the planning stages we had it in our minds that we would jump in the truck on Friday once a month, haul a load that day, unload Saturday and Sunday and haul ass back to California on Monday so we could be working on Tuesday. We have been able to keep ahead of our customers needs but we are working on 2 weeks unloading out last load and are bushed every afternoon. Making parts, assembeling, shipping, unpacking, unloading machines, hooking up wires, air and leveling them has been quite the adventure. I am looking foreward to learning how to fish.

2. Likes Fal Grunt, Ox, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doo you need a fishing license if you own the property and A River Runs Through It?

I've never bought a fishing license.
    Not fished since I was 17. (16?)
    I don't even like to eat fish, so ...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Definitely thankful to be in a small town this last week.

I was doubly thankful a very close friend of mine flew out of LA on saturday.

I was concerned for a friend who lives a mere block from my old stomping grounds in Colorado, right off of Colfax from downtown Denver. I watched as the crowds descended on downtown last night for the 5th night.

I saw first hand the effects of Californians moving to Colorado and changing Colorado. One of the reasons I left 10 years ago. It has gotten much worse since I left.

However, kustomizer doesn't strike me as anything like those folks.
    I guess I never mentioned, I lived in LA from 1966-1976, I know about cities, I just don't want to be in one. My folks had the Indian motorcycle shop im Monrovia where they bought it from Sam Pierce, they moved the motorcycle shop, sister and I to Mokelumne in 1976. Pops and I went in Feb a few weeks before escrow closed and we lived in the quanset hut that would become the shop, we put up shelving while we waited for the 13 fourty foot semi's to show up out of order and in a hurry to unload. Some stuff was never found and he had guys sorting stuff that got mixed up until he sold to Indian Of California who also bought California motorcycle company in Gilroy who made Indians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that puts a bit of a spin on your wanting to rig and haul it all yourself...

At least if it gits broken or lost, you are not looking at anyone else.
    You know that it was the wife's fault.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Doo you need a fishing license if you own the property and A River Runs Through It?

I've never bought a fishing license.
    Not fished since I was 17. (16?)
    I don't even like to eat fish, so ...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I think I am supposed to but I have not checked. If I start drinking and fishing I may loose the summer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that puts a bit of a spin on your wanting to rig and haul it all yourself...

At least if it gits broken or lost, you are not looking at anyone else.
    You know that it was the wife's fault.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I had 3 quotes, because neither shop could have a big truck the machines were going to have to go on small trucks 2 at a time to Sacramento, when they all got there they would get a big truck to haul them to Boise, put them on some small trucks again and haul them here 2 at a time. I could envision being out of commission for a month or more and the low quote was 88,000 for the 8 CNC machines, we would have never been able to keep our customers happy. We would still have had to buy the trailers, I checked on Uhall's and they are about 5k for a 24' one way and they wouldn't have liked the weight of the small stuff so we would be looking at shulleling stuff from the house to town, load it in a 40 footer, meet him here and unload it again all in a rush as the truck needs to be somewhere else? In the end this looked like an easier way to get from nowhere to nowhere else, keep some of our sanity. Besides, what is life without a challenge now and again?

We did not "want" to haul it ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I "got it" before, just thinking that this experience may have put some bad taste in your mouth as well.

It appears that you did not have a gooseneck before tho.
    You had them all hauled in?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I "got it" before, just thinking that this experience may have put some bad taste in your mouth as well.

It appears that you did not have a gooseneck before tho.
    You had them all hauled in?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    It ain't been too bad, we needed some together time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week wasn't quite enough.

I made a heavy gooseneck some years to haul my track loader to the folks place to fix their driveway and scrap metal to market.
    They passed and I met Fred, he would show up, load the scrap, haul it, sell it for more than they would give me as he was there every day. I got 300-500 bucks more after paying Fred than I gould get hauling it myself and saved a day in doing it. After putting 2 sets of tires on it in 5 years so I could loan it to friends I sold it.

Yep, bought them new and delivered