Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    There are a lot more old drunks than old doctors.
    LOL! Strictest-ever of teetotalers Dad's folk. Also uncommon durable.

G'mum buried "Old Doc Lively" his son, "Young Doc Lively" took over her case. Does a standard chassis inspection, her in her mid 80's, him early or mid '50's.

Sez the arthritis has so damaged her spine he'd not recognize the shapes as for-sure those of a human ifn' he didn't know it in advance. Well. she knows it. So all her later years she has made it a point to weed a large garden by hand, bending over flat-footed to pull each weed then straighten all the way up, stretch for the sky... and do the next.

Family knows this. Doc dont know it. Never thinks to ask.

Soon wraps up the whole meeting that there was not a thing he could do to help her on account of age and degenerating condition...

Four years go by no more meetings.

They bump into each other on main street. Doc is astonished, Figured he had washed his hands, sent her home to prepare for dying-day ,and not all that far-off.

Asked why she hadn't come to see him? She sez you told me you couldn't do me any use. You nor your Dad never lied even as children. I took you at your word!

She buried him a alongside his Dad a few years later only about age 60 or a bit less.

She went on to clock 96 or 98 (it has been an age, already and her eldest daughter ad youngest muc the same, later, so I ain't minding' clearly which was which..), ..went out with less than 2 weeks abed, most of it conscious. Still had all but the one tooth a cow's horn had knocked out shaking off flies whilst being put-up for milking. Big tumor in G'Mums'belly and by then, she IS too frail to mess with.

Doctors is kinda fragile stock. Tend to get to puttin' too much trust in store-bought chemistry, "flavour of this year" - and not enough trust in their own far, far, more expert self so very much older that doin the math by hand could make yer eyes bleed.

Ain't exactly no casual accident we walk around in. Finest and best-proven example of durable and self-repairing Engineering on the whole dam' planet.

At least.

Most important part? Highest-level Commander in cookie-thief in the brain simply has to WANT to keep-on living.

That "mission type order" gets conveyed - we know not how, 'coz our staff ain't MEANT to trifle the Boss whining about THEIR dam' jobs - and all yer Generals, Admirals, Bomber wing Commanders, Carrier battle group Air bosses clear down to Supply clerks, house painters, plumbers, bio-warfare gurus, and sprayers for cockroaches ....simply get TF ON with all of that... at the literal peril of their lives, they should fail yah bad enuf.

Not all that clear it still works well, but for dam' sure it has worked for a very long time, one solitary-cell of a remotest ancestor to present-day..

Seriously neat bit of kit! And then? You meet "Woman" .. and understand why it was all put together, by and for WHOM!

2. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got some shelves and cabinets in the overseas container today, in the morning I will get some tools in and out of the rain ( 2 inches in the last 24 hours). One of the wetter June's on record, nice, goes well with the extra snow last winter, Nature is a Mother and she is watching me, still better than big brother, she slows me down, he puts a tax on everything. No protesters though, so thats a good thing.

4. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We could use any extra drink if you want to send it our way.

Corn is already stressed from dryness, and the 14 day has all low 90's and no rain in sight to speak of.

Pond has went down about 8" in the last few weeks already.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    We could use any extra drink if you want to send it our way.

Corn is already stressed from dryness, and the 14 day has all low 90's and no rain in sight to speak of.

Pond has went down about 8" in the last few weeks already.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Mud, mud, mud, we had to add some pipe a few weeks back to run the tumblers in her shop. The rain is not heavy, but steady all week, My doall and drill presses have orange tables, won't hurt anything but orange just the same. I have 26 green flap top boxes of tooling under a tarp full of small tooling yet to unload and 4500 lbs of aluminum that don't need wet, Ill have to dry that in the next few days and I put the damn heater outside, thought I was done with it for a bit. I'm chief cook and bottle washer today as she has a bunch of paper work to catch up on. WooHoo, can't wait for KP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7000 or Mold Plate or what - that water would hurt it?

This time last year we were just now dry enough to plant.
    Sumpthing like 60,000 acres in our county never got planted last year, and now here we are, dry as a popcorn fart....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3/4 x 4 6061, wet bundled gets a surface pitting we can't fix. A few days wet then spaced out and dry is OK but a week and we can't use it as the pitting gets too deep. It will be OK, I just have to unbundle it and let the air get to it.

Nature is a mother and she will do as she pleases

Hard to make whisky when the corn won't grow

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hard to make whisky when the corn won't grow
    Yah mean "corn licker". Some of ain't that half bad. George Dickel, Henry McKenna, Evan Williams...

But "whisky" don't use no dam' corn:

Rest of Ireland went over to corn off the back of a tax on Barley.
    Bushmills never even flinched:

History Bushmills Irish Whiskey

Green 10 yr old is more than good enuf'.

Like they say,

We're not the best because we're the oldest.
    We're the oldest because we're the best.

A.Smith Bowman "Pioneer Spirit" if Made in USA is yer won't:

The best bourbon in the world? | Beer, Wine and Spirits | richmond.com

"Back in the day".. before Bowman sold "Sunset Hills" to become part of the new town of Reston, we had to git on a waiting list for their then-legendary "Fairfax County". Sippin' whisky if ever was. Daren't guzzle. I were a TWO YEAR wait for the next ration!

Colonel Bowman is one of those Old Skewl Virginians as taught the art of makin' spirits out in Old Bourbon County, Virginia.. before they made a couple or several other US States outta the Old Dominion's spare pocket-change, toe-nail parings, bustid Bic biros, and belly-button lint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7000 or Mold Plate or what - that water would hurt it?

This time last year we were just now dry enough to plant.
    Sumpthing like 60,000 acres in our county never got planted last year, and now here we are, dry as a popcorn fart....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    They have yet to plant the 18 behind the house. I’m guessing they won’t.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    They have yet to plant the 18 behind the house. I’m guessing they won’t.
    Lot of upset in ag markets if even the weather were better.

Oil so cheap corn for Ethanol is in a hurt. Animals - beef, swine, poultry - as might have been corn-fed have been put-down this year off the Covid situation. Nobody is sure what will go to China or to other places as a replacement for what THEY send to China.

This crap going on in cities spills any further into the shruburbs and rural areas some may be planting razor wire and such instead of crops.

Seems a good year to cut food production. Cities appear to be drastically over-fed, given their penchant for burning down fast-food outlets and convenience markets.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She likes "peach" whisky and "asti spimanti"?, I'll drink 'bout anything but beer, everclear is fine, brandy is good, and homemade wine is a favorite, I am not a booze connisseur but a booze kind of sewer. Pop always said he had a buckskin belly and a rubber asshole and could eat or drink just about anything, seems the apple didn't fall too fer from the tree.

14. Likes Ox, DrHook, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She likes "peach" whisky and "asti spimanti"?, I'll drink 'bout anything but beer, everclear is fine, brandy is good, and homemade wine is a favorite, I am not a booze connisseur but a booze kind of sewer. Pop always said he had a buckskin belly and a rubber asshole and could eat or drink just about anything, seems the apple didn't fall too fer from the tree.
    LOL! Usta claim I would eat anything as didn't eat me first, and was willing to flip a coin if she was cute!

I learnt second hand info that binge'er of a German-Irish G'Pa had been notorious for proclaiming:

- never drink blended booze, cheap booze, nor booze mixed with anything. That's where hangovers come from.

- never drink in a warm room

- never drink sitting down.

'Bout half of his era, bars were "speakeasy" and either way, always brass footrail "stand up and belly-up" so when yah could NO LONGER stand, yah wuz "cut off" by nature!

Many a time when I wuz TENDING bar (in a "dry state", so also "speakeasy") I've seen calm and cool folks try to get off a barstool to hit the loo or go home and just sorta run a quiet no-drama "down periscope" move as it appeared from my side of the bar... as they slowly "de-levitated" down to floor-level!

Coal miners. glass workers, powerco linemen, gas company drillers, a few lawyers, Dentists, pro gamblers .. their ladies, of course, it weren't a "beer" place, great folks, all - but work a bar like that for long enough to get to know them and the wives who come crying after them 'coz the kids are hungry?

Yer own fondness for drink kinda winds itself down more than just a few notches.

Guess I became more connoisseur than common sewer over seeking the very finest of "sippin' whisky" taken "neat" at room temperature [1] as an excuse to take fewer and smaller rations, enjoy the "craic" "over a jar" but spread out effortlessly.

A place had no Old Pulteny, Scapa, Highland Park, Isle of Islay, etc .. or Green Bush? I could usually stand the MacAllen 12. Sippin', neat, slooooooow, kept the cost within due bounds for both my pocketbook and my liver!

[1] Ice? Mixers? Water? Gawdawful barbaric! Why would a person put mortally-wounded water into whisky that a serious-expert distiller had already put exactly the right amount of very GOOD water into?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a firm rule to never eat something that wouldn't eat me first, but there are exceptions to that rule.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a firm rule to never eat something that wouldn't eat me first, but there are exceptions to that rule.
    30th Anniversary coming up this year, so I just say "I'll eat anything but chicken feet."

Opened her fridge door when still courting. There sat a whole bowl of 'em waitin' to be taken out for a wok. Wife loves 'em.

I say "Ugh!!! little birdies' dirty feet!" and launch into an old song about greasy, grimey gopher guts.. as ends "... and me, without a spoon!"

She's furious!

"They are NOT! I have given them each a pedicure! Look again!"

Sure 'nuf. She had been at my telco toolkit.

Took a pair of diagonal side-cutters and snipped the toenails or claws or wotever they is clear off the end of ever' damn one of their tiny toes!

Didja know.. .that enytime yah see a package of the chikn' parts WE eat? The spare parts of it - million of those little birdie's dirty feet - ain't being cremated nor going into chicken hot dogs. They get shipped to China and et whole!

We are going to be in deep feet we get into a worse economic war and have to learn to eat the silly things ourselves.

Already cost this country a damned fortune to turn the chikn' "cloaca" parts - sorta what an assehole would be built like if Leatherman tool did 'em - into OSHA inspectors so's we didn't have to eat of 'em.

18. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    30th Anniversary coming up this year, so I just say "I'll eat anything but chicken feet."

Opened her fridge door when still courting. There sat a whole bowl of 'em waitin' to be taken out for a wok. Wife loves 'em.

I say "Ugh!!! little birdies' dirty feet!"

She's furious!

"They are NOT! I have given them each a pedicure! Look again!"

Sure 'nuf. She had been at my telco toolkit.

Took a pair of diagonal side-cutters and snipped the toenails or claws or wotever they is clear off the end of ever' damn one of their tiny toes!
    Yep, they are the kryptonite we all seem to seek

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the heck doo you eat?

Now a hog would eat you - given the chance, but not their normal diet...

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

21. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That rules out:

steak
    pork (for the most part...)
    fish (except piranha)
    mutton
    venison
    fruit
    vegetables

It only leaves what, bear meat?

23. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is why we have exceptions.

It seems that the rules of yesteryear were much more rigid than the ones we make these days, leastways that is what I get out of watching the news.

25. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a "firm rule", but has exceptions....

I'm guessing WAY more exception than rule...

I hear that bear meat aint worth harvesting, unless you are looking for sumpthing to keep you occupied while on the trail?

Big cat?

Wolf?

Shark?

Squid?

Bird of prey?

Most anything else that comes to mind might kill you - given a reason.
    A moose, rhino, bovine, Hippo, even a giraffe, all will stomp your assets into oblivian, but I don't think they will devour the spoils.

???

As for the whisky, I guess if you died and laid above or just below grade, a stalk of corn would eventually feed off of you...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

27. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Must have been a full moon the other night...Saturday morning, I was driving along, and there was a jet black squirrel, just lookin' at me, then scampered off.

Spooky for shure, looked like it stepped out of a fly ash precipitator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear that bear meat aint worth harvesting, unless you are looking for sumpthing to keep you occupied while on the trail?
    Bear is fine dining............................and we have plenty of em' round here.

But I prefer bald eagle...............not quite as tough as spotted owl nor as gamey as California condor...............................

30. Likes Ox, ChipSplitter, DrHook liked this post