Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    It's a "firm rule", but has exceptions....

I'm guessing WAY more exception than rule...

I hear that bear meat aint worth harvesting, unless you are looking for sumpthing to keep you occupied while on the trail?

Big cat?

Wolf?

Shark?

Squid?

Bird of prey?

Most anything else that comes to mind might kill you - given a reason.
    A moose, rhino, bovine, Hippo, even a giraffe, all will stomp your assets into oblivian, but I don't think they will devour the spoils.

???

As for the whisky, I guess if you died and laid above or just below grade, a stalk of corn would eventually feed off of you...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep, way more exception.

If you take a bear roast, plug it with garlic, cover it with onions and cook it slow for a couple days it turns out about as good as the worst pot roast you ever had but there is way more thick sticky fat on it. you can eat it but there is likely a better meal of something else.

Mountain lion is good, had that a few times, seemed only fair given the number of goats they killed, got 5 lions year before last, they got 6 goats. There is a big white dog with them now but on the last trip to California we noticed she had 14 rather than 15, likely as not it had it's head stuck in the fence but I didn't go look.
    Shark is very good, you should see the glare I get in Alaska then I take them little ones they have up there off her hook and toss them back in the water, they ain't big as my socks and their ribs are poking out but she wants to eat them anyhow.
    Wolf, I don't know, she had dog tacos when her Navy boat stopped in Mexico one time but I think I would rather pet a dog and watch a wolf from a distance, someone else can eat him I recon if they can beat her to it.
    Squid is good to me, she won't eat it.
    I read somewhere that there is room for all of Gods creatures right next to the mashed potatos.

2. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    It only leaves what, bear meat?
    And wimmin"? For fun. Not for-real?

Welll. then again... there are some divorces...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the heck doo you eat?

Now a hog would eat you - given the chance, but not their normal diet...

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Doug's hint at his body mass? Only things as are SLOW enough as not to outrun him nor be strafed from light aircraft nor road-kilt with a pickup truck or front-end loader!

"Packaged" and on a supermart shelf, most likely. AND NOT still a-hoof nor paw!

Rattlesnake or frogs legs "spatchcocked" at high velocity a-la-Michelin-radial all-weather rather than sautéed gently en Beurre Blanc Citron a-la-guide-Michelin four-star git kinda tough to chaw on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years back I rode my motorcycle to Alaska and went fishing, some friends have a floating fishing lodge and they let me stay anf fish if I help them fix a few things while I am there then they FEDEX my fish home. Anyhow as I was coming into Prince Rupert Canada to catch a ferry I saw plastic bits all over the street that looked like the Goldwing I was riding, ferrys don't come every day so the next day in a bar I was asking a guy what he knew of it, he said the guy had a mother and baby cross in front of him, he got almost stopped but bumped the baby. He was in shock and counting his blessings when mama moose came over and like you said, "stomped the shit out of him and his motorcycle. Somewhere around half way up through BC I stopped one morning and was watching some moose from an elevated spot on the roadway as they were eating in a shallow pond, 25 or 30 moms with babys, I was there watching from 50-60 feet away and they wern't paying me any mind, I took lots of pics and was just about to leave when a tour bus stopped and a dozen or more tourists came piling out and down the bank with their cameras, I got the hell out of there fase as I didn't want to see what might happen. When you are sitting on a motorcycle and you pass a full grown moose standing by the road you almost can't tip your head enough to see the top of it, those things are big!

6. Likes Ox, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Bear is fine dining............................and we have plenty of em' round here.
    Similar to fresh pork roast, and as dependent on local diet as to flavour, clever omnivores as bears be.

Smart critters, bears. Not such bad folk, better behaved and far less vicious as neighbours than easily half the two-leggers on-planet these days...so I'm no longer one for the cannibalizing of 'em.

Bears raise their kids right decent as "single Mom", keep TF clear of drugs, and ain't so dam' stoopid as to set their own food supply afire nor tear-down statues they cannot eat of.

Also one of the world's worst hosts for trichina, lest ever you forget why "well DONE" is the rule for bear as well as all wild porkers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    And wimmin"? For fun. Not for-real?

Welll. then again... there are some divorces...
    No divorces here, one of us will leave feet first on a gurney.
    A couple of years back I was making a brass plaque for a gal that had passed and my bride walked up, looked it over and says to me,"you know if you are going to have one of those you had better get busy and make it for yourself, ain't nobody else gonna do it". I was telling this to a friend and he says that is likely true and I bet she can tell you what dates to put on it.
    Attachment 293100

I told her to have me cremated, put the ashes in the handlebars of my motorcycle and sell it, someone can wonder what this shit is next time he has to put new grips on it.

I've been sitting here by the fire drinking coffee long enough I recon, better get some clothes on and get my ass to work, got an air line on the HEM saw to fix and then I can get back to making parts.

9. Likes TeachMePlease, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Must have been a full moon the other night...Saturday morning, I was driving along, and there was a jet black squirrel, just lookin' at me, then scampered off.

Spooky for shure, looked like it stepped out of a fly ash precipitator.

Y'all don't have black squirrels yonder?

The towns are full of them around here, to the point of being almost only black ones.
    Actually - I was quite surprised to see a red one in town the other day.
    Couldn't tell you the last time (*if ever) I seen a red one in town.

I've never seen a black one outside city limits either.

... and that's all I'm gunna say about that!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Y'all don't have black squirrels yonder?"
    I saw a few in Stockton one time and a few weeks later there was a news blip that they had all been eaten. Loose critters don't last long in Stockton I guess.

The white dog likes to eat the grey ones, back feet with the tail still on is all you ever find of them, skunks too, same way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Y'all don't have black squirrels yonder?

The towns are full of them around here, to the point of being almost only black ones.
    Actually - I was quite surprised to see a red one in town the other day.
    Couldn't tell you the last time (*if ever) I seen a red one in town.

I've never seen a black one outside city limits either.

... and that's all I'm gunna say about that!
    LOL! Think squirrel had but a minor place in history? Ask Charles the First about the effect on loss of stature. Vertical as well as political.

Great n'th Aunt, cavalier side, went off and married well. Cut a pre-nup for a hyphen-tated fam'ly name. "Heathcote-Hacker". Her mate wuz minor nobility. His fam'ly arms had Ermine in it. Our one was "impaled" quarterly. Only had the cross "vaire".

Vaire wuz the highest representation of furs landed gentry who were not "royals" were allowed under the rules of Heraldry.

"Vaire" is the Heraldic representation of the dark back fur of a squirrel, tanned-up and sewed together, one after another, with the lighter belly fur alternating. Shortage of dynel, indoor-outdoor olefins, aniline dies, and sech in ancient times, one supposes?

How's that for "squirrelly", AD 1611 issue-date?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bear is fine dining............................and we have plenty of em' round here.

But I prefer bald eagle...............not quite as tough as spotted owl nor as gamey as California condor...............................

Those are awful. I always eat velociraptor............

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Those are awful. I always eat velociraptor............
    Ignorant domesticated Turkey? Closest surviving relative as don't vote Ripofflican, is it not?

Velociraptor - clever, communicative, and efficient pack hunter - was on a very successful evolutionary roll..

And then? Bought into an earlier round of looter-lie-bore-all empty-promise propaganda, checked his brains for recycling as worm-food, and ended up eating his own feed-lot feces out of lack of basic discrimination that chicken's were smart enough to hang on to.

And so the mighty have fallen... time after time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Black squirrel populations must be really spotty..............the home farm had about 160 acres of woods(plus the neighbors' few hundred) and all the years me and my brothers spent tree rat hunting, we saw only a couple and shot only one. Only grays and fox squirrels. Now the big towns near me, Brainerd/Baxter, I think the black ones out number others 10:1..................my place here is all grays and little pine squirrels.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marysville KS has a park where the black squirrels live. The rest of town has the red ones...
    Ate plenty of red ones growin up in SD, but never had any others. I'd guess they all taste the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Black squirrels matter too, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post

We have a lot of years behind us trying to teach 3rd grade math and pride in workmanship to adults. .

This is everyday of my life.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    This is everyday of my life.....
    Doesn't even seem possible does it?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Black squirrel populations must be really spotty..............the home farm had about 160 acres of woods(plus the neighbors' few hundred) and all the years me and my brothers spent tree rat hunting, we saw only a couple and shot only one. Only grays and fox squirrels. Now the big towns near me, Brainerd/Baxter, I think the black ones out number others 10:1..................my place here is all grays and little pine squirrels.
    Squirrels have gone to Hell like everything else, haven't they?