Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today we (Jo likes to run off with the straps, and she thinks she is helping ) managed to load up our "job box rack and job boxes" it took a while as I had to remove the empty ones on the bottom rows then move all the rest of them down 1 row as I couldn't figure out how to keep the top row on, Ill get the empty's next trip I imagine. Then we loaded up some Lista type tool cabinets which required removing half or more drawers then replacing them once they were on the trailer. I set the Hardinge chucker on which made the trailer deck kind of close to one of the tires but that may just be how it is parked. I fueled the truck today and will hook it up tomorrow and see what the tire clearances look like, if it is still too close I will move the VMC over a bit to correct it.
    img_4041.jpg
    my wife took this one and it is of coarse sideways, I will have to show her which way to hold it so it comes out upside up here.
    img_7277.jpg
    img_7280.jpg
    img_7276.jpg
    img_7291.jpg
    I ran across some aluminum turret tops I made to set up for specific jobs on the Hardinge chucker, one has a follow rest on it and the other two are mostly unused, if anyone has a use for them they can have them for the price of shipping.

2. Likes SND, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_7278.jpg
    I was not able to put this pic in the last post, so here it is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the job box rack. What do you keep in all of your job boxes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So - it doesn't rain where you are at?
    Where you are going?
    Nor anywhere in between?

-----------------------

Got on board a west bound 747
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    I like the job box rack. What do you keep in all of your job boxes?
    Every job, or family of jobs, has a box, each box contains sample parts, mating parts, special tools, soft jaws, drawings, wharever is requires to make these parts. You can pull a box and find everything required to set up a job inside minus the programs, they are stored in families along with offset files, it makes the setup of repeat jobs quick and easy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    So - it doesn't rain where you are at?
    Where you are going?
    Nor anywhere in between?

-----------------------

Got on board a west bound 747
    Ox
    We see rain, sleet, snow, frozen rain, wind, you name it, why?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_7101.jpg
    This is heading over Carson pass, 8600 ft
    img_7075.jpg
    Off the back porch in Idaho, this white stuff makes the best snow cones, fill a quart cup packed nice and tight, then fill it with fireball and go sit by the fire.
    img_7226.jpg
    These damn things are the bigest travel problem we encounter.

9. Likes Ox, DrHook, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We see rain, sleet, snow, frozen rain, wind, you name it, why?

Open load.

A small shower wouldn't be the end of those machines, but to git caught in a deluge wouldn't doo them any favors.

Maybe you pack tarps along with you - hoping to not need them?
    And just park while it's raining?

Shirley you must have some plan?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

11. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Open load.

A small shower wouldn't be the end of those machines, but to git caught in a deluge wouldn't doo them any favors.

Maybe you pack tarps along with you - hoping to not need them?
    And just park while it's raining?

Shirley you must have some plan?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    We watch the weather real good and pick a day where we shouldn't see too much. I cover the pendants with heavy black trash bags any holes in the main cabinet with duct tape, the rest of the machine can take a lot of weather in my opinion. On the other end I open them up and let them dry inside for a couple of days before I power them up although I have not seen any obvious moisture in any of them yet. I follow her with her Ford Explorer with an 18 foot cargo trailer, she keeps the hammer down pretty hard and on long hills she has to wait for me to catch up. We did stop for a bit up on Carson pass once as it was near white out but normally our weather watching and picking the travel day based on conditions has worked well for us. I don't want to put on chains or slide off the road so snow on the California end is the one we watch the most as the 8600 feet is all done in a few miles, quite steep in spots. The Idaho end and everything in between is more gradual making the weather of less concern. I have a tarp I bought like the ones they cover hay with but it is too heavy for the two of us to put on even with the help of a forklift, god help us if we needed to do something with it along the road.

13. Likes Ox, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that this one is smaller.
    This is in a personal residence.

Google Maps

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

The building just north of the labeled building probably is the post office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No - it's the older house.
    It's local to me.
    I know the place.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are a brave man.

17. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    You are a brave man.
    No, just scared of the red head, she says it's time to go!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today started out about like any other, checked my email while I had my coffee and a chat with the big boss about what she would need from me and me from her. I took the pickup down to hook it up so I could get the load balanced, tied down and ready to go, BAM! I backed into a steel gate post, bent the bumper and put a kink in the reat right corner of the bed just big enough to start the paint peeling off. After I got hooked up and let the air bags fill on the pickup I found the load was way too heavy on the drivers side, I pulled the Chucker back off but that didn't help much so I shoved the VMC all the way to the passenger side which helped a bit but not enough. Next we shoved the job box rack and cabinets over about 16 inches and was about halfway to where I wanted it so I pushed the VMC forwars about 3 feet and finally got some clearance from all the tires to the deck. I put the chucker back on along with some stainless bar, tomorrow I can load a bit of aluminum and tie everything on. I spent the afternoon helping her with her trailer then moved it up to the house so we can load her pots, pans, and easy chair in the morning. 80 degrees today and I am ready for my easy chair and a bucket of wine. Here are a few pics, she still holds the camera upright and says the fact that PM turns them sideways is out of her control.
    img_7299.jpg
    img_7297.jpg
    img_7298.jpg
    img_7295.jpg
    img_7292.jpg

All in all today seemed like a lot of work for not much but we are closer than we were so it is what it is.

20. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All in all today seemed like a lot of work for not much but we are closer than we were so it is what it is.
    "Too late NOW..."

But over that bucket of wine?

Jest think about how much less WORK all this would be if....

.. as a kid, you'd been happy to ugrade from a "Boy Scout" knife to a Leatherman tool.. figured that was good enough... and gone off to study cutting other folk's hair - or Cat and Dog claws and toenails - fer yer crust .... instead of Masheenin'..

22. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You all have a lot going on there with trying to truck and stay open at the same time. So my hat is off to you for that, I know its got to be a lot of stress.

I'm impressed that the post frame barn had an electrical service that can support a 9 cell shop....or did you (do you?) have to upgrade that along the way?

The one thing about that style construction is they are fast to go up but need quite a bit of extra work to finish them off to be a heated space. Ceiling will help a ton! What is your fuel source out there?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had to bring in 3 phase power to the building, the old owner had an Rv in it. I ran one machine on a phase converter for about 6 months while we waited for power. I have been heating it with a 350,000 btu diesel fired furnace, I bought 2 new surplus some years back and used one in California turned down to 88,000 btu's and made the Idaho one the same for now. I imagine a propane furnace will be what we use in the end as the effeciancy is way up there on those these days but we will see. After we enlarge the building we will have the spray foam guy come put a few inches over what we put up to get us R60 or more and 45 or so in the walls. The shop on this property is the worst part, the 10 acres of flat with a nice home and 1/4 mile river front sure looks good to us, we will make the shop work.

25. Likes matt_isserstedt, Ox, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Too late NOW..."

But over that bucket of wine?

Jest think about how much less WORK all this would be if....

.. as a kid, you'd been happy to ugrade from a "Boy Scout" knife to a Leatherman tool.. figured that was good enough... and gone off to study cutting other folk's hair - or Cat and Dog claws and toenails - fer yer crust .... instead of Masheenin'..

I wanted to go there 25-30 years ago, she said it was too remote and wouldn't go look around. Last night she must have been delusional as she put her hand on my sholder and said " I don't say it too often but you were right, I sure wish we had done this years ago when we could have done it in one trip with a Uhaul".
    I started making things in an old atlas craftsman lathe when I was 9 in the back of pops shop, I have tried a few other jobs but came back to this and after 30+ years on our own I doubt either of us could hold down a job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..after 30+ years on our own I doubt either of us could hold down a job.
    Welll. Prolly a lot longer-ago than half that thirty, yah wudda been suited only to sourcing, training, guiding, directing, motivating, AKA "Managing" those who only "held DOWN" their jobs.

Movin' them and everything around them ONWARD AND UPWARD was what fit proper-like.

Some among us who CAN do, simply will not take-on worry about whether some OTHER Pilgrim shat his messkit, spent the weekend in jail, or had the gumption to walk to work when his car broke down 'stead of whining over it.

So we just no longer do, or did, never. Not for a long time, already, anyway.

You moved at a good time. Not a lot longer, cudda been too set in yer ways to adapt, even if you classed 'em as "bad" ways and still thot' yah WANTED to do.

DAMHIKT!

28. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last night she must have been delusional as she put her hand on my sholder and said " I don't say it too often but you were right.........................
    Did you get that in writing?

30. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post