Moving our machine shop from California to Idaho - Page 33
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Ever get the chance, take the basic joe-average-budget motorbus (recycled "Blue bird" SCHOOL bus, back in the day, driver obviously training up to run the Targa Florio - or fly ground-attack sorties ) from Santiago de Chile up into the Andes to San Jose de Maipo.

They don' do no steenkin "guardrails". Air horn is cheaper. Most of Chile's better Engineering minds are associated with a samll but crucial Navy as has to face-off against a greedy Empire of PR China chronic-cycling fish-stock-raping armada.

They ain't had a lot fo spare time to figure out how to anchor a guardrail stanchion to ignorant AIR.

Views are grand .. whenever you have enough breathing functioning to dare open yer eyes now and then.

LOL! "Gonorrhea Gulch" I'm sure yer good lady would for-DAMN-sure 'preciate yah never went NO WHERE NEAR, then.

It weren't actually a "topographic" feature! Nor even in a singular fixed location!

MIGHT even have it's own FSN/NSN and "standard noun nomenclature", reg'lar Wartime GI-issue as it seems to be.

"Attached, for rations, quarters, and administration" to Fort Leonard Mud, MO. for one of War Two's more active examples.

My brother called it Fort Lost In The Woods.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    My brother called it Fort Lost In The Woods.
    I once held the theory that the Panama Canal was not really the biggest dig the Corps of Engineers ever did.

Far the bigger job was seeing to it they removed millions of tons of perfectly normal soil from any US Army base and replaced it with millions of tons of sandy gluey shitty-nasty clay...

Navy's "Sea Bees", must have had to dredge huge amounts of sand and move it inland to make life Hell for their lot. Marines got some of everything and ANYTHING, as long as it was nasty, swamps that came pre-loaded with snakes and stench as well!

All to make for more realistic training as to f**king-up troops, vehicles, and weapons alike!

Or so it seems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marines did their annual invasion of San Diego this week. Not sure if it was regular or reserve this week. They lost one landing craft going back out to the big ship. No need for imported oceans. 7 of 16 on board made it off safely from deep water.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my ....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Marines did their annual invasion of San Diego this week. Not sure if it was regular or reserve this week. They lost one landing craft going back out to the big ship. No need for imported oceans. 7 of 16 on board made it off safely from deep water.
    Bill D
    Damn. That's a bitch.

The guys wudda been in full combat rig. It is HEAVIER than a speedo bathing suit.

Hard to get OUT of it fast, too, but that IS part of what any Marine is meant to be as good as it gets at doin' when he must do so.

'Must" decision is the barrier, usually. Always some so dedicated and confident they can keep all their gear, gut it out, push through ...and prevail..... that they push the limits too close to dyin' and .. "too late" have gone past them.

Semper Fi, Brothers. No quiters among 'em.. regardless.

6. Likes Ox, moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read they were in 200-300 feet of water so it will be hard to find. One guy got out but did not make it. Some kind of floating tank with 16 on board and three small hatches out.
    Reminds me of the civilian DUKW that went down in a surprise? storm about a year ago. They had removed the extra bow on top of the deck in front of the windshield. Probably to improve the view. The original boats did not have that feature until they realized it was needed to prevent swamping.
    The first aircraft carriers had an open space at the bow below the flight deck. That was soon closed in with a so called hurricane bow. I think this happened during ww2 as the ships went into the middle of the oceans with no good weather reports or orders to allow them to stay away from weather. Today in peacetime a ship will sail away from a hurricane, unless it is a viral hurricane then it is considered cowardice.
    Bill D

the link shows the extra bit in front raised up for bad weather.
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...s-gmc-dukw-6x6

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I read they were in 200-300 feet of water so it will be hard to find. One guy got out but did not make it. Some kind of floating tank with 16 on board and three small hatches out.
    Reminds me of the civilian DUKW that went down in a surprise? storm about a year ago. They had removed the extra bow on top of the deck in front of the windshield. Probably to improve the view. The original boats did not have that feature until they realized it was needed to prevent swamping.
    Bill D
    Oh f***k! There will be a report. It won't undo what has happened. Might prevent the next one, though.

Haven't even seen one of those in a LONG time, but ISTR those hatches have to open outward? And the hull was at atmospheric? Not happening at much of any depth.

Has to be some sort of fallback procedure, but it might have meant only one hatch even cycled...and late ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess they grounded them funny looking boats for the time being, likely a good thing as they don't look too floaty to me.

We are moving everything small out of the shop, spray foam is coming Thursday so we need as much as possible out. It would have been nice to insulate first but it needs to be 75+ for the foam to stick properly to the metal siding, up until several weeks ago our daytime highs were in the upper 50's to mid 60's, so here we are. We have our yard sale all set up.
    img_0144.jpg
    img_0145.jpg

This afternoon we had a power flicker while one of the VF2SS's was running, it quit and will not start using the power on button but will and runs fine when I push in the main contacter manually? When I press the power on button there is a buzzing but no click.
    I still have 6 cabinets to get away from the walls and a bit of electrical to move, they wired the building with that shielded wire, I forget what it is called but anyhow a bunch of it on one wall still needs unhooked, moved up over the height of doors to come and reconnected.
    If it ain't one thing I guess it will be 10 others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may have fried a contactor (motor starter?).

I fried one just like that on TWO lathes overnight one night.

Must'a took a hit of something ...

I had a replacement for the one, and was back up quickly.
    The other'n I just ended up jumpering it out of line for now.
    Only thing now is that to shut the control off, I need to throw the main disconnect.
    Otherwise - all is well.

Sounds like exactly what happened to you?

Not sure about that ROPS on the 8N.
    My experience - those don't have enough power to flip over, and they are so low and wide - that it would take quite a ditch bank to roll one over.

Not like it's a Super H with narrow front...

???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny thing is I can punch it in manual and it stays in then the normal power off still works, could be the pull in part of the coil quit and the hold in still works, Ill get back to it in a few days.

The ROPS came on that tractor, used to have a nice plywood roof held on with C-clamps to keep the sun off but it fell off 20 years ago.
    I may get ambitious and put a new on one day. We don't have hills here like the last place, our place here is flat except the 5 - 6 foot bank down to the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if it latches in, then it must be in your START switch circuit.

If you git over that bank - I guess you've got bigger troubles at that point...

As per the "power" comment - Actually - I think on the 8N it's more like that they don't have a low enough firth gear.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bank ain't too steep, I mow it with a Craftsman riding mower, one thing we both wanted in our new digs when we started looking was no hills, our last place has a 350 foot hill on it, steem damn hill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You may have fried a contactor (motor starter?).

I fried one just like that on TWO lathes overnight one night.

Must'a took a hit of something ...

I had a replacement for the one, and was back up quickly.
    The other'n I just ended up jumpering it out of line for now.
    Only thing now is that to shut the control off, I need to throw the main disconnect.
    Otherwise - all is well.

Sounds like exactly what happened to you?

Not sure about that ROPS on the 8N.
    My experience - those don't have enough power to flip over, and they are so low and wide - that it would take quite a ditch bank to roll one over.

Not like it's a Super H with narrow front...

???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    You can flip an 8N no problem. Just try to yank a stump with the chain pulling from around the axle. That baby will do a wheel stand and go over backwards in a heartbeat. I got my Hossfeld bender at the estate sale of a guy that proved it can happen.

15. Likes neilho, Oldwrench, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, 8N's are famous around here for killing people who go logging with them - same way as stump pulling, over backwards. VT State Ag dept hands out $300 for ROPS for any tractor without 'em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Around the axle eh?

The hitch is too far back to be able to use in this case?

Prolly just don't have a clevis I guess....

Is that how Luke Grimes had it hitched up in Yellerstone?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We are about to get fiber internet for the first time in our lives, hughesnet and dial up are the best we have ever had, not only did we go remote, we are about to tech up, George Jones sang "High Tech Redneck" all about us. Look at us go!
    There is nothing more miserable in the world than satellite internet. I suffered with it for 8 years. I have cell wireless now, still data capped, but a major improvement on reliability. Virginia has a very poor infrastructure. High speed hard wired internet, natural gas, and water don't get very far off the main thoroughfares.

19. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ox;3597528.

As per the "power" comment - Actually - I think on the 8N it's more like that they don't have a low enough firth gear.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox[/QUOTE]

First gear. Reminds me of when I was first allowed on our 8N. I was 7 years old and Daddy let me drive it home from the neighbors in first gear. Took forever to go two miles..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have often wished it had the extra gear splitter giving lower gears, I forget what they called it. It is just to smooth out the road and I am planning to make a rock rake to pick up the fist size to basketball size rocks. The soil here is made of river rock and sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    The bank ain't too steep, I mow it with a Craftsman riding mower, one thing we both wanted in our new digs when we started looking was no hills, our last place has a 350 foot hill on it, steem damn hill.
    A Craftsmen riding mower was the biggest piece of junk I ever purchased, engine blew up after a year of light use. Lots of large lawns around me and I haven't seen someone mowing with a Craftsmen yet. I gave my Crafstmen away when I moved east and got a Troy-Bilt, they seem to be decent for a budget model. Glad to see your Craftsmen is still alive, what year was it made?