What's new
What's new

MRP Software Recommendations for a Small Fab Shop

K&T_Journeyman79

Aluminum
Our 15-person fab shop, which manufactures EF-5 tornado resistant storm shelters, is looking to replace its home-grown MRP software with a commercially available MRP system. I have experience with SAP and have a recent quote for SAP Business One. However, I need additional quotes before the Owners make a final decision.

I am seeking MRP system recommendations from other small fab/machine shops. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have done implementations of AllOrders at two previous employers and we were pleased with the results. At the second place we were able to export BOMs and subassemblies through a custom Excel macro that rolled up short piece quantites and then inported it into AO. This produced all the required WorkOrders and Purchase Orders for each job. It also produced a material reciever that directed incoming materials right into subassembly kits with all parts tied to the BOMs on the drawings.

AO uses QuickBooks for the accounting part and seats are floating so you don’t need one for evey user. Cost is about $1000 a seat and we didn’t need outside consultants to get it up and running. Hoping my current job will implement it too. You cannot imagine how much useless paperwork I do here!

Oh man, good but loaded question! I can't make a strong recommendation on a particular brand except that I do fully believe that custom systems can be far more effective (less cost, increased efficiency IF (and only if) you have expertise to properly spec the system and get a capable code writer to make the system operate "as it should" and be upgradable on a fast turn-around for both small and major changes. Here's two factors to consider:

1. Most software sales people are way too "our software can do anything you want/need" than they should be.
2. Most companies don't properly evaluate their internal processes to find the best system that will work for them and, as a result, they have to modify their processes to make them work for the software that they purchase (especially if you're an OEM and you buy a system more for a job shop). The biggest reason for this is that they don't have the proper person evaluate available systems (e.g. they'll have the CFO make a decision and they emphasize financial reporting as the most important process and not the ability to properly format work orders for the shop. I'm not saying you're not the right person, just make sure you are and do the evaluation for all aspects of your business (office, shop, inventory, customers, etc.).

Good luck!
The Dude

fabtrol has gotten to bloated imo, dont know about fabsuite. We are locked in to fabtrol with legacy work, and no boss is willing to learn new software.

Back