What's new
What's new

MSC, Travers, Enco, who's best?

gmach10

Hot Rolled
I ordered a gear cutter for Travers Tool Co. They sent the wrong one. I gotta eat the return postage, and order another. Cutter was made in China, and description on the box was barely legible. First question, do these supply houses have the resources to verify what they are selling, and who is a good supply house to deal with. MSC ,Travers,and Enco, seem to do OK with end mills and the like, but what about things like modular gear cutters and such? This is a one time job with very little profit so getting one made locally is not in the cards.

Thanks Glenn

I tried to buy an "Elephant" cam lock drill press vise from Enco last year and the one that showed up had the locking plate hardened and the shaft was soft. What happened was every time you locked the vise, it would nick the shaft and the resultant burr would impede the smooth action of the vise. Not cool.

Called enco and told them about the issue, they offered to send me another or just take that one back. I didn't have to raise a stink at all for them to offer that. They said it was obviously an inferior product and they wanted to check their remaining stock to ensure that no others were sent out in the same condition. They sent me a shipping label and I returned it for a full refund.

If what you buy doesn't meet your standards, I think they're pretty intent on making you happy even if that means taking it back. I wish I'd known that with the chinese drill index I bought from them (first purchase). The price was right, the drills are complete shit. Live and learn.

Years ago I purchased a 0"-6" set of Polish mics off of Enco and several other small items. When the package arrived I found a roll of duct tape with the bar code for the mic set, but no mics. I called Enco to report the problem and talked with the resolution person. He informed me that they would have to do a check of inventory to make sure that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one on them. When I hung up the phone I was sure I'd never see those mics or my money again. A couple of minutes later the same person called me back and said that he had checked the package weight and there was no way that a mic set and box had been included. Next he told me that a set would be expedited via Next Day Air and thanks for shopping Enco.

I've always been lucky with the older gals in the order department. They'll usually let me have the product at the same price MSC has the item on sale if Enco is higher. Wish I could say the same for the shipping dept. trolls. I have learned to request that all items be sent from either the same shipping facility or all at once because Enco believes its customers need their products ASAP. They will often ship as they come available with the consequence being I need to pay for multiple shipping fees.

Several months ago I ordered a lot of items from msc. The box showed up in perfect shape and weighed about 3 lbs. It should have weighed 60 or so. I did not open it so that there would be no question that I took stuff put. Called MSC. They had it in the sustem as leaving weighing about 3 lbs. Blamed UPS for "repackaging" it after damage.

I did not bother to point out the obvious discrepancy. They shiped replacement the same day at no charge.

I would start up the food chain at travers. If you send me the wrong item it is not my problem

Most of the major catalogs nowadays are doing a good job of identifying their products are American made or imported. Your gear cutter may have slipped thru the cracks. I like doing business with MSC because they have a distribution center as well as a sales office here in IN. We had a problem with a diamond wheel once last year, and a rep came down from Indianapolis the next day and made it right.

For me, it all depends on what I am buying. If I need a 3/8 chucking reamer, and some belts for my belt sander, Enco is fine. They have the best prices, and are decent (most of the time) with customer service and shipping. If I need something urgent, and Mc Master Carr has it, I buy from them. Very expensive, but as reliable as they get. Problem is that they don't have as good a selection of machine tools as the MSC's and Travers type of companies.

I have had the same problem with Travers lately. I needed a screw for one of my boring bars. Tech support gets on the line, I give him the Travers order number for the bar, they ship the wrong screw. I ended up making a new one. Travers is good for certain items, large end mills, large odd ball taps, and they carry a line of broaches that I like that MSC and Enco does not have.

Several years ago, I had a problem with an MSC sales rep and her manager. They both yelled at me over the phone. Very childish and un-professional IMHO. It turned me against MSC, and I only use them when I absolutely have to. (I'm aware that they now own Enco and J&L)

Enco has great shipping times...I think they pack as soon as the order comes in and it's ready for UPS soon thereafter. I often get things the next day after ordering.

I had to call them once for a mistake and they were helpful and got the right thing out to me the next day with 0 hassle.

McMaster is good too. Fast and fair shipping, though you can't find out how much shipping costs until after the purchase.

-James

McMaster

something urgent, and Mc Master Carr has it, I buy from them. Very expensive, but as reliable as they get. Problem is that they don't have as good a selection of machine tools as the MSC's and Travers type of companies. ( original Quote from David Carlisi )

I am sometimes suprised that McMaster is sometimes cheaper . Bought a new Darex drill grinder for $300 less than J&L . They do not list Brand names , but will tell you if you ask .
Almost every time I order set screws or cap screws from them they ship me USA ALLEN brand
instead of "quality import " . Plus they are very reasonable on shipping . I got 2 padded envelopes the same day . Same size /weight . $5.90 ship from McMast . $10.50 from J&L
I use both places , but with J&L it is a game that the next day they will email a "web deal " for 40% off , 5 or more items that you just ordered today !
I did not know that ENCO is owned by J&L/ MSC

Last edited:
Msn, Enco, Travers

Just an update. So I call Travers and talk to one of their Tech's. (I had to call them, they didn't call back in what I conside a reasonable amount of time). I told him I remeasured my broken gear and yes it is a 2 Mod. pitch, and tell him the cutter they sent was not the pitch I ordered although the cutter itself was marked 2 Mod. #6 cutter. He tells me that it doesn't surprise him, this happened before. Original cost about $73.00 including shipping. I send the cutter back pay postage w/insurance, another $5.50. He tells me they will credit the postage, BUT to get me the right cutter it's going to cost $130.00. Seems all that they have in stock are wrong. I called MSC, not a stock item but I got quote in acouple of hours and they called me. ENCO, also said not a stock item but refered me to their sister company MSC. Guys if you put this stuff in your catalogs make sure its right. Don't wait till someone orders something to find out your suppler screwed up. Just venting. Thanks Glenn

something urgent, and Mc Master Carr has it, I buy from them. Very expensive, but as reliable as they get. Problem is that they don't have as good a selection of machine tools as the MSC's and Travers type of companies. ( original Quote from David Carlisi )

I am sometimes suprised that McMaster is sometimes cheaper . Bought a new Darex drill grinder for $300 less than J&L . They do not list Brand names , but will tell you if you ask .
Almost every time I order set screws or cap screws from them they ship me USA ALLEN brand
instead of "quality import " . Plus they are very reasonable on shipping . I got 2 padded envelopes the same day . Same size /weight . $5.90 ship from McMast . $10.50 from J&L
I use both places , but with J&L it is a game that the next day they will email a "web deal " for 40% off , 5 or more items that you just ordered today !
I did not know that ENCO is owned by J&L/ MSC

Mcmaster is a great company.

All of the people that work there can get anything they buy at Mcmasters cost. Mcmaster also has profit sharing and also education $$.

Sometimes they might cost 5% more but their service is great and their online catalog is one of the best.

Tim

Ash Gear Quote

Do an internet search for ash gear and supply. See what they have/cost. They sell gear cutters for a living

Medfab, that's the company that MSC and Travers both said they would call for a quote. I went to Motion Industries to see if Boston Gear sells Mod. pitch gears and that was a no go. I'll have to try another avenue. For future reference will Ash Gear sell to me or do I need to be an authorized distributor? Glenn

mcmaster super fast shipping and very reasonal shipping rate, I order at 9:30 a.m . It's at my door next day by 10:00 a.m. That's the good side. The bad side of Carr . The sea hags that take your orders or give out the returns numbers are C atch U N ext T uesday S!
Enco has good prices but, some of there stuff is real junk! I got c-5 collet idex , what a pile. I sent It back and paid the shipping. I guess I should gipe and maybe they would of pick up the shipping.
Travers sems like Enco ship in many boxes from different locations and days, and you get to pay for the shipping.
Enco and travers run the promos buy $ 200.00 and get a free hat or mag light , and the also forget to send it.. I call and ask... they say ( we will send it in your next order) THAT'S BULL!

Daye

Thanks Kevin. I called Ash and they do rent, their cost is equivilant to puchase price. They were very helpful even though I wasn't a fortune 500 company. I would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks Glenn

Enco is owned by MSC, and their service in recent years has not been bad, IF you know what you are buying (big if, some of the import stuff is junk)

Travers is interesting. If I have the time, I'll order from them, and drive over, as they are about a 15 minute drive from the shop

I used to have a job where I would often get into the discussion of how expensive Mc Carr is. But compared to what? I need a de sta co clamp, mcCarr is 10% more than the local dealer that took 2 weeks to deliver anything vs having it the next day.

My last order from McMaster was about 30 separate items $100 or so total.
Everything was right, shipping was 1 or 2 days, woman who took my order was a gem.
Perfect.

Changing industry!

Bad news folks,

M.S.C. is slowly devouring the entire industry, Enco, Kennametal, J&L and I am sure a lot of others. Good news is that we are not a big company and I do not pay list price for anything. Customer service is great, inventory is better than most.
What is happening is all the others that are trying to compete have dumped there inventories and ship streight from suppliers, once you catch your supplier doing that you had better get started with M.S.C.
Build up a little history and then start pounding. Mcmaster is just a horse of a different color, something from a differnt industry.
Sorry I did not have a better answer.

Back