What's new
What's new

Multi-Generational Workforce

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2,943
Found this article in The Fabricator Magazine.
I didn't read the whole thing, but I found the "stereotypes" section interesting.

Managing the multigenerational workforce - The Fabricator

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

its called many people are prejudice that is they prejudge people based on age, former jobs they had, and many other things.
not for nothing but average person knows fairly well what 100 to 1000 people but even in a relatively moderate city of 1,000,000 thats what knows 1 out of 1000
at age 50 i sent of 30 resumes and only got 3 replies thats 90% wouldnt even consider a older person for a job. thats why when i hear some say how easy it will be to find another job i think they dont realize how prejudice some are and many places wouldnt even consider many people for jobs based on many things besides age.
i even applied for job cutting metal on a saw. like how hard could that job be?? most times there is no shortage of workers there is only shortage of people willing to try new people who are not perfect based on there prejudice assumptions. my wife applied for job folding tee shirts that get printed with whatever is wanted and put in a package. not even considered for the job. nobody going to convince me its anything other that prejudice assumptions especially when i see same job posting every few weeks to months.
for example say you work at a big company for 30 years and get laid off cause company declares bankruptcy. if that was your only other job i found many will think you are a bad worker cause you only worked for that one big company for 30 years. they got a prejudice opinion of all former workers from that one big company. i have seen it before. and often you are not even given a chance to prove yourself at a job. hard to describe if you never experienced it.

In the above scenario when I was hiring quite a few people when I worked for the man decades ago I only discriminated on age based on the job. Unless someone got out of a long stint in the armed forces or was a homemaker that hit the workforce late I would wonder why a person who was 50 would be applying for an entry level job. I would assume they were a problem child of some sort. If a guy is 55 applying for a mold maker job I would have no problem bringing him in. When I was self employed Dualkit before becoming a one man job shop the best worker I had was in his mid 60's, he ran circles around an 18 year old who was a buddy's son I hired.

at age 50 i sent of 30 resumes and only got 3 replies thats 90% wouldnt even consider a older person for a job.

It might also be because they could get someone younger must cheaper and from what I read in here wages many places are ridiculously low. At least 40 years experience and max 23 years old :eek:

Machinists are in demand here. Try getting one for less than $30 an hour is nigh on impossible. 5 weeks annual paid vacation etc. is of course included.

.at age 50 i sent of 30 resumes and only got 3 replies thats 90% wouldnt even consider a older person for a job. thats why when i hear some say how easy it will be to find another job i think they dont realize how prejudice some are and many places wouldnt even consider many people for jobs based on many things besides age.

Just because you only received 3 replies doesn't mean the rest didn't call you in for an interview based on your age alone. There's a laundry list of potential reasons why you may not of received a call. Sounds like you are assuming quite a lot.

That's not to say there aren't companies that won't hire older guys, i'm sure that happens. But you have to keep in mind that there are pro/cons that come with hiring an employee that's starting to get up there in age, and for some it's possible the cons out weight the pros.

I can understand discrimination during the hiring process. A business owner is trying to fill a position, and they may view some categories of people as not likely to be able to preform certain duties that come with the position. I'd say it can be unfortunate, as there are always exceptions. But admittedly so I wouldn't be looking for a woman to fill a position that required heavy lifting all day.

I had a package some years back from another member here shipped to me, it was heavy, but under the 70lbs limit of a USPS priority flat rate box. The postal woman left a note on my door saying "unavailable for delivery", yet i was home and she didn't attempt delivery at all. I caught up to her down the street with note in hand, and she didn't even have the box on the truck. Her reason was she couldn't lift that much weight, even though a job requirement was to be able to lift up to 70lbs. She was simply lying about me being "unavailable for delivery" because she couldn't meet the job requirements.

if you ever been to night school its common to see 1/2 the students being old like 40 to 60 years old. why ?
cause many their existing job is getting harder to get a job at. for example television repair or even computer repair. now a days many are not repaired they are replaced cause usually they last much longer. many jobs are like that cause of technology changes. not much call for making wagons for horses any more. or blacksmith jobs. sure there are some jobs just not very common
say you are a manual machinist and you take night school cnc classes cause you are having trouble finding manual machinist jobs or you want to be able to do cnc machining. even with training many places still might not want to give a older person a chance at cnc machinist job. or say you ran cnc machines before but have not run a particular cnc like ran a mazak before.
many places dont even give you a chance. even if training is needed often you are talking only a month training and after that as long as somebody around to ask the occasional question that is not much. i have seen many cannot find anybody when its really they cannot find the perfect person including the perfect age and experience levels. and often the training is in the days to a few weeks range. still many places prejudge you and will not even give a person a chance. its harder to find jobs especially when older at least thats been my experience
now i have worked with temp employees that retired and got bored and went back to work. they were some of the best machinist i ever worked with. why are they working for a temp agency ? cause nobody else will even give them a chance at a job especially if 62 or older

Just because you only received 3 replies doesn't mean the rest didn't call you in for an interview based on your age alone. There's a laundry list of potential reasons why you may not of received a call. Sounds like you are assuming quite a lot.

That's not to say there aren't companies that won't hire older guys, i'm sure that happens. But you have to keep in mind that there are pro/cons that come with hiring an employee that's starting to get up there in age, and for some it's possible the cons out weight the pros.

I can understand discrimination during the hiring process. A business owner is trying to fill a position, and they may view some categories of people as not likely to be able to preform certain duties that come with the position. I'd say it can be unfortunate, as there are always exceptions. But admittedly so I wouldn't be looking for a woman to fill a position that required heavy lifting all day.

I had a package some years back from another member here shipped to me, it was heavy, but under the 70lbs limit of a USPS priority flat rate box. The postal woman left a note on my door saying "unavailable for delivery", yet i was home and she didn't attempt delivery at all. I caught up to her down the street with note in hand, and she didn't even have the box on the truck. Her reason was she couldn't lift that much weight, even though a job requirement was to be able to lift up to 70lbs. She was simply lying about me being "unavailable for delivery" because she couldn't meet the job requirements.

heavy lifting. i remember seeing a farmer doing a roofing job yelling at his son (maybe 20 years old)who could not lift a bundle of shingles over his head to hand to a another guy above him. the farmer who was probably 60 showed him how to do it. obviously he did it once. after doing it dozens of times its much harder.
one of the hardest jobs i had was putting in wood and steel bumper boards along the wall near floor level in a big building. literally 1000's of feet of it working on the floor. dont care what age you are, get down on floor sitting on your rear or on your knees then stand up
1 to 10 times a day no problem. do that 100 to 500 times a day and you notice it at night or the next day. sure old age dont help but often that more if a person is out of shape.

heavy lifting. i remember seeing a farmer doing a roofing job yelling at his son (maybe 20 years old)who could not lift a bundle of shingles over his head to hand to a another guy above him. the farmer who was probably 60 showed him how to do it. obviously he did it once. after doing it dozens of times its much harder.
one of the hardest jobs i had was putting in wood and steel bumper boards along the wall near floor level in a big building. literally 1000's of feet of it working on the floor. dont care what age you are, get down on floor sitting on your rear or on your knees then stand up
1 to 10 times a day no problem. do that 100 to 500 times a day and you notice it at night or the next day. sure old age dont help but often that more if a person is out of shape.

Yes, I agree. I said there was exceptions.

I once worked with a 60 year old french man when i was in my early 20's. Guy was a monster, out worked us all.

I'm not saying 100% of the time hiring an older guy for heavy lifting won't work out. I'm simply saying more often then not it won't.

I'm 40, and have a back that causes me some minor trouble, i'm sure it will be much worst in 20 years. I'm not quite sure hiring a 60 year old man to load/unload multi-part fixtures in a VMC all day is a perfect fit. He may be a perfect fit elsewhere in the shop with the right position(Experience has value), but if the position the shop is looking to fill is my stated above, they may be looking for someone with a back that doesn't have more miles on it then I95.

Not trying to be disrespectful, just stating a business owner is viewing hiring from a different position then a potential employee is.

Interesting adjustments are suggested in the article. I have long helped the new young fellows with whatever I can be helpful with. They are interested in the trade and the descision for them to pursue the trade often is quite lucky because most have little exposure to what we do. I think it might be because we have seen a lot of manufacturing leave the country so there is less exposure to the option.

It is interesting the different TV shows and videos get younger people interested in metal working making knives and things. It would be good to have some of the older near retirement age fellows to buy a mill and a lathe and do local work to help pay toward retirement. That way too it would be good to have someone who wants to learn the trade helped out in a setting like that. That way the training would be effective and a more positive a learning environment than being thrown in to a shop where there is little time to spend teaching someone. Not a few shops are wanting to take the time to teach.

Last edited:
Found this article in The Fabricator Magazine.
I didn't read the whole thing, but I found the "stereotypes" section interesting.

Managing the multigenerational workforce - The Fabricator

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Probably best to have a mix provided the "old timers" aren't so stubborn they insist on doing "how it's always been done" and the newbies don't think they know it all.

When Japan a few decades ago was showing the world how to do things right employment at a company was for life and loyalty worked both ways. Times have changed - also for the Japanese.

The companies I've seen function best here have a generation gap but it requires thoughtful management. Even in large shops and companies the guy/guys in charge aren't "anonymous" but know and talk to people by walking around and stopping to talk.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

I do not get the generation labels.
Kids will be kids, old timers may be set in their ways.
I can't see any different than is has been in the past.
Hiring and working with people your own age is perhaps easier but the job as boss or leader is not easy. If it was any moron could do it.
If you want to make it easy where does that put you?

Much noise is made about this generation stuff and it's all bull shit in my opinion. An excuse for not being able to do what needs to be done.
Lead, follow or get off the train.
If you are going to lead you may need to be able to make adjustments to your own attitude to suit your workforce and keep them world class in output.
Bob

I'm 37, the programmer is 31, the part time toolmaker is mid 70s, the old toolmaker is 72, the other 2 toolmakers are in their 50s, and the boss is 54...I'd say we have multi generations covered lol. And yes, the old guy is completely hung up on doing things like they did in the 60s. Every once in a while I ask what the tool room was like during ww2 :).

The guy that's 31 has never been outside of this shop so he knows nothing about working at modern job shops and prototype shops. They still bust my balls for using a shell mill rather than a fly cutter. I broke out an electronic edge finder and heard about it, still do. I made a speed handle for my vise, they though it was worthless...until they used it, now they all have them. The list goes on and on, but it's still fun to mess with them, plus that old guy has some pretty good tricks too.

I am good friends with a guy who has a good size shop 33 employees. He is 60 years old we talk alot about business, he is activily working to decrease the average age of his employees because the health insurance is crazy for people over 50 years of age. I dont want this to turn into an insurance debate. The additional cost of insuring these people is huge, most of his 20 somethings dont want the coverage so it costs him nothing but all the guys with families sign up. I am betting this is playing a big part in people over 40 not getting hired.

“If you want to make it easy where does that put you?”

They work because they want to. I have been places which were running way behind a lot and new guys often caught the tension and disorder in that. I saw where a couple of places the new fellow is gone in a couple hours. Machining will never be a leisure activity.:)

young or older employees i never had a problem. i have seen plenty of younger guys with back problems and other physical problems
as for older guys set in their ways i do not see that much (obviously if "new" ideal been tried a 100 times already and dont work that well there is resistance to repeating it) and have seen younger guys with know it all attitudes til they scrap enough jobs to ask for help or they cannot keep up with older guys. for example young guy trying to go 150% faster but actually taking 150% more time dealing with problems. that is very common. and often til you write down results and times used to complete jobs with recorded problems many dont see the ideals old guy resists doing is cause data says "ideals" have been tried and results data proves some ideals are bad ideals and they aint new ideals just new guy doesnt realize they aint new ideals
biggest thing is some people have trouble working with others. some get paranoid and think others are out to make them look bad. hard to describe. some have temper or paranoid tendencies to the point they argue and even threaten others. literally some people got problems not physical but mental. hard to describe and those problems come in people of all ages.

When my dad, in his 60s looks for a job he will dye his hair to get rid of the gray just to look a lil bIt younger because the reality is that age discrimination is a real thing.

Just like I'm sure me being over weight plays a roll in if I get hired or not. Race plays a big roll in getting hired or not too in the shops I have worked in. Had my current boss out right tell me he wont hire women because they are a distraction.

Money plays a big part in getting hired or not to, these companies know the older guys come at a premium and they aren't always worth the added cost of wage and insurance. Hacks come in all age. the older guys typically being stuck in their ways isn't good either.

We have a self taught "cnc machinist" that wont even run his machine over 4000 rpms and thinks the 1" insert cutter has to run at a certain speed for all materials. Better believe that has cost the company a lot of money running a cnc machine like its a Bridgeport.

I'm mid 30s and have worked in a shit ton of shops trying to make better money in the fastest way possible and I learned early on it's best to listen to anyone willing to show you their way of doing things, even if you already know it or heard it. That has served me well in the companies I have worked and usually makes me the one doing all the bull shit hard jobs, so its a double edge sword.

Fact is though, most younger kids aren't rushing out to go work in a shop for sub par pay and having to dish out thousands for tools nor are the schools even encouraging it anymore for the most part. these companies are going to have to figure something out if they wanna stay in business as the older guys all retire. guys in there 30s or younger are far and few between in these shops where 90% of the work force is close to 60 or above.

When my dad, in his 60s looks for a job he will dye his hair to get rid of the gray just to look a lil bIt younger because the reality is that age discrimination is a real thing.

Just like I'm sure me being over weight plays a roll in if I get hired or not. Race plays a big roll in getting hired or not too in the shops I have worked in. Had my current boss out right tell me he wont hire women because they are a distraction.

Money plays a big part in getting hired or not to, these companies know the older guys come at a premium and they aren't always worth the added cost of wage and insurance. Hacks come in all age. the older guys typically being stuck in their ways isn't good either.

We have a self taught "cnc machinist" that wont even run his machine over 4000 rpms and thinks the 1" insert cutter has to run at a certain speed for all materials. Better believe that has cost the company a lot of money running a cnc machine like its a Bridgeport.

I'm mid 30s and have worked in a shit ton of shops trying to make better money in the fastest way possible and I learned early on it's best to listen to anyone willing to show you their way of doing things, even if you already know it or heard it. That has served me well in the companies I have worked and usually makes me the one doing all the bull shit hard jobs, so its a double edge sword.

Fact is though, most younger kids aren't rushing out to go work in a shop for sub par pay and having to dish out thousands for tools nor are the schools even encouraging it anymore for the most part. these companies are going to have to figure something out if they wanna stay in business as the older guys all retire. guys in there 30s or younger are far and few between in these shops where 90% of the work force is close to 60 or above.

looking for a job if older person, they can figure out your age by your resume. you aint going to get seen to look at your gray hair. not unusual for 90% of job applications from older person to not even get a reply meaning no or few job interviews for old guys
old machinist whether cnc machinist or operator can usually figure out feeds and speed calculations. or use excel to take 500 tools with over 10,000 feeds and speeds tried with results data recorded. what works good and what works not so good from results over years and 1000's of jobs
if last 1000 times job was done and finish cutter going faster needed 2 more hours recutting cause of vibration or tolerance problems and old timer got data from 100 different feeds and speeds already tried old timer often goes slower and finishes job 2 hours faster. i see that almost every day. often going faster is unstable or non repeating or has 2% sudden tool failure rates.
often see tool has 400 - 820 sfpm and .0030 - .0060 ipt feed recommendations and one operator keeps trying 950 sfpm and .0025 ipt feed, why ? cause sometimes it works good like 70% of the time it works ok..... when you get intermittent problems or non repeatability often its like a dog chasing his tail going round and round. occasionally using NOT recommended tool settings does work better but usually 98% of time being in the recommended range works better
same with drilling holes. one operator tries going 20% faster and ends up taking 2 to 10 hours longer dealing with broken drill bits. might seem like old guy is going too slow to inexperienced person. but if you got recorded results data from last 1000 times job done and it proves going slower is faster (less problems) who is correct. the inexperienced guy with no memory of problems or the experienced guy remembering previous experience not last 2 times but last 2000 times.
what i look at is does worker learn from previous mistakes. do they takes notes and use a checklist to learn and not repeat mistakes. that is anybody can make a mistake but whats worse is guy who keeps repeating same mistakes that is doesnt learn from previous experiences. memory is unreliable, most people cannot remember what they ate for dinner 2 weeks ago. how they going to remember how they did a job 2 weeks ago unless they record stuff. how you going to learn from a 2% sudden tool failure rate ? that is failures or problems that happen months apart ? like part done 1000 times and average time is 10.0 hours with a range of 8 - 18. hours and the 18. hour jobs are somebody trying to go faster and getting intermittent problems. that is if you go slower as results data says you can do job in 9.0 hours 99.9999% of time. if you go faster you finish faster 90% of time and 10% of time you take 200% longer or 18 hours instead of 9 hours dealing with the intermittent problems. that hugh time increase can take 10x longer time than what it tries to save in time. that is where its often hard to prove unless you got recorded data. memory unreliable. facts over many years often says different than what somebody remembers
....thats where looking at charts and graphs might seem like a waste of time but actually save hugh amounts of time. young or old person some might see value at looking at long term data and some might say waste of time. one operator might take notes when doing a job last 1000 times and easily see warnings of previous problems. young or old other operators might not keep any notes and might not even bother with looking at warnings from others the last 1000 times a job was done.
....i see that every day. young or old does person try to learn and not repeat the mistakes of the past. older person usually tries to learn but not always. younger person might try to learn or might think they know it all better than older guy everybody different. best not to prejudge people

its called many people are prejudice that is they prejudge people based on age, former jobs they had, and many other things.
not for nothing but average person knows fairly well what 100 to 1000 people but even in a relatively moderate city of 1,000,000 thats what knows 1 out of 1000
at age 50 i sent of 30 resumes and only got 3 replies thats 90% wouldnt even consider a older person for a job. thats why when i hear some say how easy it will be to find another job i think they dont realize how prejudice some are and many places wouldnt even consider many people for jobs based on many things besides age.
i even applied for job cutting metal on a saw. like how hard could that job be?? most times there is no shortage of workers there is only shortage of people willing to try new people who are not perfect based on there prejudice assumptions. my wife applied for job folding tee shirts that get printed with whatever is wanted and put in a package. not even considered for the job. nobody going to convince me its anything other that prejudice assumptions especially when i see same job posting every few weeks to months.
for example say you work at a big company for 30 years and get laid off cause company declares bankruptcy. if that was your only other job i found many will think you are a bad worker cause you only worked for that one big company for 30 years. they got a prejudice opinion of all former workers from that one big company. i have seen it before. and often you are not even given a chance to prove yourself at a job. hard to describe if you never experienced it.

Did you ever think that maybe there is a problem with your resume? I have looked at hundreds of resumes over the past few years and I can say a lot of them are from bottom feeders that can't hold a job. It is amazing how bad some resumes are yet we still have to look and interview people.

I am pushing 50 right now and I have the head hunters constantly contacting me for a job. I will agree that age can be a problem but if you have a great working record a lot places will give you a chance.

Back