My continued struggle to find decent shop help - Page 32
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Maybe there was a hard line distinction many years ago but honestly I hardly ever see Bport type CNCs in manufactures of any size. So when someone says "CNC Mill" I picture VMC, unless it's followed by "in my garage"
    Mind you my exposure to the outside world lessened quite a bit when I became self employed 25 years ago, so not sure about now but they were a pretty common item in tool rooms, repair shops, and smaller manufacturing facilities. I don't think they all got scrapped as you don't see them going cheap anymore. They aren't super accurate as they aren't closed loop, but they are fine for roughing things out and to hold +/- .0025.

So maybe everything is called a CNC Mill now??? Anyway I wasn't snotty or condescending. I just told him what I expected when someone says CNC Mill and I was looking for something to fit in a small space, just to put heads on bolts. Then he got all bent out of shape, the guy definitely is a few cans short of a six pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Maybe there was a hard line distinction many years ago but honestly I hardly ever see Bport type CNCs in manufactures of any size. So when someone says "CNC Mill" I picture VMC, unless it's followed by "in my garage"
    Nah, they are still everywhere

We use one to drill mounting holes for fixturing on a vmc. No door to open, can run it without stops because it is almost too slow to be dangerous

VMC is a VMC, difference being fundamentally a tool changer

CNC mill might not just be a CNC bridgeport, but be a massive K&T with a manual toolchange and no enclosure

If asked what I do , I might reply 'CNC milling', but I do it[mostly] on a VMC

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I wonder. He had intentions of designing a secondary OP drilling machine for chicken spacers coming off a robodrill. Seems he started to design it then fizzled. Tightening fixture.. fizzled. Beta tested that 4th axis fixture and his first comment was "not worth copying". I think he had some ambition to design a product, but not enough to put in the work and get it finished. Scamming must be easier work.

It was odd that badly wanted to help Generic Default and Wheelie a while back about selling his shop. I wonder if he was eyeballing bigger scams on here.

Things that amaze me: it seems a staggering amount of time required to post over and over and it's all (of vast majority) total fraud. What a phenomenal waste of time.. wow. Another thing, if you had to pick a superhero to pretend to be on the internet, who would choose ISO-man?

I bet that shop he "bought and was selling off the machines" if his shop where he made chicken spacers and Xometry parts.
    Super hero ISO-man? Damn near spit my coffee all over the monitor when I read that. What the hell is a chicken spacer?

4. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Super hero ISO-man? Damn near spit my coffee all over the monitor when I read that. What the hell is a chicken spacer?
    It was a production part he was making on a robodrill. It was a black delrin part maybe 4" square that had holes on the edges and he was going to build a machine to drill the edge holes because doing it in a 4th on the robo took too long. The holes had to be concentric to each other to like thou or sub thou which seemed odd in delrin, but maybe real shops can do that. Later, he had a thread about "show the part you can't wait to be out of your shop" and it was the same part. At some point he divulged that it was for chicken processing faciity. I guess they hang the carcass on it then put the thing on a hook. Anyway, it again seemed odd that something like that would need gnats ass tolerance.. chicken spacers

6. Likes Ox, Mike1974, wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was a production part he was making on a robodrill. It was a black delrin part maybe 4" square that had holes on the edges and he was going to build a machine to drill the edge holes because doing it in a 4th on the robo took too long. The holes had to be concentric to each other to like thou or sub thou which seemed odd in delrin, but maybe real shops can do that. Later, he had a thread about "show the part you can't wait to be out of your shop" and it was the same part. At some point he divulged that it was for chicken processing faciity. I guess they hang the carcass on it then put the thing on a hook. Anyway, it again seemed odd that something like that would need gnats ass tolerance.. chicken spacers
    I don't remember that thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But was he doing anything real with it at all? Where those just pictures off the web from somebody else's shop? And who would require ISO and the like for plastic spacers for a chicken processing line?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think he just thought if he told everyone all his work was in tenths he would look better? The reality is (and my terminology will probably be off) CPK values are meant to be used. If you have +/-.005 and you are hitting +/-.001 all day, open up your process. Maybe rough and finish with one tool and save a toolchange, or up the feeds and speeds, etc..

I personally think most people that try and hit "perfect" for no reason aren't the awesome machinist they think they are.... Sure, if you are approaching a limit, but that's a bit different. Worked with one guy that would tweak parts all day to hit nominal, at the cost of significantly lowering your margins.

10. Likes gustafson, wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I vaguely remember something about it. 'Cuz I thought at the time, how the hell are you going to make your own machine that's going to drill faster than a robo/brother???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    CNC MILLING STEEL VISE HARD JAW 6” WIDE SERRATED / 0.100” STEP 721676493506 | eBay

They went up a couple bucks, but nice pieces. I bought a couple sets to try then bought a couple more sets.
    O 'course they are outa stock now...............

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    But was he doing anything real with it at all? Where those just pictures off the web from somebody else's shop? And who would require ISO and the like for plastic spacers for a chicken processing line?
    I think he might just work at a shop? He seemed to always be messing around in cad and the only pictures I really remember him posting of his shop were computer monitors and a desk. But I guess that doesn't explain the machines he's getting sued for.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    a massive K&T with a manual toolchange and no enclosure
    Hey ! Massive K&T's with no enclousre had toolchangers long before there was a c in nc ! K&T 2" straight shank tooling was popular before there even was a CAT style !

Don't be dissin' my fave company, y'heah ? In fact, I don't think they ever made anything with a manual toochanger. Can't think of one, anyhow.

Cincinnati did, but not K&T.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's back...ack...ack...ack.

2020-09-17-12_22_35.jpg

16. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bullshit meter pegged at 250% literally after the very first post I read by as9100d.

Why?

All these claims of huge margin business, high-paid employees, new machines, etc. from a guy with a personality that couldn’t sell a glass of ice water in hell.

And business is about selling...people don’t buy from assholes.

So unless your dad owns a big company that subs out a lot of high-paying work, how in the world does an asshole get that much high-paying machine work?

Because his business is “ISO certified?” My hairy ass.

ISO may get you in the door, but it takes personality, trustworthiness, humility, and above all honesty, to get the order!

ToolCat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to build a machine to automate a process, Anyone want to help my first journey?

Can't find the other one, something about show me the part you can't wait to be off your shop floor

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    I'm wondering maybe he faked the QMS certs to get better jobs out of Xometry, just speculating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post

2020-09-17-12_22_35.jpg
    Does last activity mean he logged in? You can lurk without logging in, correct? I could not imagine him posting. Maybe he will have a recent picture flipping the camera off. Fortunately I don't think he got anyone's money here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Hey ! Massive K&T's with no enclousre had toolchangers long before there was a c in nc ! K&T 2" straight shank tooling was popular before there even was a CAT style !

Don't be dissin' my fave company, y'heah ? In fact, I don't think they ever made anything with a manual toochanger. Can't think of one, anyhow.

Cincinnati did, but not K&T.
    OK cincinnati, whatever

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

God was cutting you a break.

She's like that, some days.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post

2020-09-17-12_22_35.jpg
    Here's a quick impression of the PM community right now...

24. Likes ChipSplitter, AARONT, BoxcarPete liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to build a machine to automate a process, Anyone want to help my first journey?

Can't find the other one, something about show me the part you can't wait to be off your shop floor
    Reading thru that thread a bit noticed 2 things right off the bat.

1) He contradicted himself at about every 5 posts with what he was doing, how, etc

2) He shot down every idea floated (in the beginning anyways).

He can't figure out how to automate, but 2-3 posts later when someone mentioned molding them, he says "Oh I guess I will make the mold myself" LMAO.