Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Yea, I have one potentially lined up to start mid week this week. But, maybe not? IDK? Hard to get a straight answer out of him.
    He is 54. Has only two jobs on his resume for the last 25 years. I know both places. This guy was a sand-blaster in AZ for over 15 years.
    That is dedication! Being able to do that job outside, through AZ summers. The other place (most recent) is moving out of state, and he doesn't want to follow.
    Communication could be better. Both email/phone and verbal (he mumbles). And, no hard answers.

I'm almost ready to give up on hiring honestly.
    I really really hate that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, the wishy~washy older gent did not take the job. Seems his Mum fell down some stairs back in Minnesota and broke her ankle.
    He potentially wanted to start last Wed. he just now texted me to let me know he had left the state. Probably a great dude. Just not a good fit.

Wed. when I hadn't heard from him, I got a resume that I felt compelled to call on. Young kid (20), never really had a "real" job.
    His dad owns a couple local used car dealerships. He used to work for his dad. And, flipped cars on the side. Said he doesn't really care for that racket.
    Biggest notable attribute about him at interview: super shy! Like, worse than me (and I am bad). I think he may have one of those diagnosable condidtions.
    Aspbergers, or whatever, IDK? Just abnormally shy. Real hard to make eye contact. Also difficult to get a reply much past a head nod.
    But, hired him on the spot. He was willing to start that second (mid day Wed.). I said naw, lets start a fresh day tomorrow.
    Worked Thus./Fri. under Joe's wing. Joe got him up to speed on the big-fat-haas. He is did great! I can see him through a peep hole at my desk.
    Once he had swapped out both sides a half dozen times, he had the routine down pat! Joe, showed him the 2nd machine a few times, but he never did it.
    Friday, I completed a simple set-up in a little haas. After Joe left, I showed him that one. He picked the routine up just like the other, and kicked ass.
    Then! Actually showed up today after the weekend! Alright! He is rockin' away! Covering 2.5 machines right now. Allison is helping him with one occasionally.
    Although, he doesn't really need it. But, man he is quiet? shy? introvert? IDK? Haven't seen his phone one single time. And, he pays very close attention to everything he does!
    I'm really hoping he makes it to raise time! I might even throw it at him early!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, and, uhh, I bought a robot, LOL

(complete wrustle move! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Ohh, and, uhh, I bought a robot, LOL

(complete wrustle move! )
    How long are you going to leave us hanging?

Kid sounds great, BTW. Sounds like I was at that age, maybe not quite that extreme....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fast, efficient, quiet; kid's a robot!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Good grief, IDK how anyone can keep the doors open these days at all with the unemployment benefits they are handing out these days!

I stopped by for a Bacon King on my way to deliver parts last week, I think that there must'a been 2 people werking?
    One at the drive through and one on the grill? Maybe there was another back there somewhere?

[edit]
    I forgot - Mrs. Ox told me last night that KFC has put it on F/B that they will be closing at 5PM every night 'till they can find more help.
    [/edit]

Help wanted signs everywhere, and it's NOT because things are booming...

DC is our worst enema!

Git the figgin flu or don't - but for Petey's sakes - this hiding from it (only delaying the inevitable) and printing money (Political ploy) aint helping anyone but the friggin Left land votes from those too lazy and pride-less to pull their own weight!

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this ^%$#! post!
    We counted 67 Bilboards and 12 electronic Bilboards for help wanted from our Ca place to the Idaho place this weekend, most of them on I80, amazon, chewy, Glitznet trucking, you name it, we stopped twice for fuel and both had help wanted signs.

It pays enough to stay home so why work?

Perhaps if we give a bonus for the ones that stay home the most we can get them back to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In other news, I noticed on the way into the grocery store last night a sign that said "starting wages up to $20 hour". I think it's a union job with some level of health insurance too, not sure. Now on one hand, $40K/yr + benefits is NOT a rich income in Eastside Seattle Metro. I don't know what local machine shops pay. And I am told that some jobs in grocery stores (the night stocking posts) are actually super demanding physically and people mostly don't stay long. But it is a little bit of a data point on what any venture should expect to pay (in this area, which is far far away from Wheelie...)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good grief, IDK how anyone can keep the doors open these days at all with the unemployment benefits they are handing out these days!

Git the figgin flu or don't - but for Petey's sakes - this hiding from it (only delaying the inevitable) and printing money (Political ploy) aint helping anyone but the friggin Left land votes from those too lazy and pride-less to pull their own weight!

snip
    ---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this ^%$#! post!
    I guess it varies by state? The extra $600 ran out in FL at the end of July. I don't know if they ever added the extra $200 or $300 back or not... BUT, FL unemployment is capped (minus any 'bonuses' they added) at less than $300/week. Not saying that is an excuse, but I could not live on $600/week, but maybe some can...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I guess it varies by state? The extra $600 ran out in FL at the end of July. I don't know if they ever added the extra $200 or $300 back or not... BUT, FL unemployment is capped (minus any 'bonuses' they added) at less than $300/week. Not saying that is an excuse, but I could not live on $600/week, but maybe some can...?
    I remember when I was 17/18, thinking: "man, if I could make $500/wk? Holy shit, I would be rollin' in cash!"

By, 20 I was doing it, and then some, on my own (scrapping in summer, plowing snow in winter). Plus, worked a 40hr gig in a shop (for about 10% over minimum wage).
    My friends were all jealous that I always had money. Yet, I would offer them jobs helping me scrap in the summer, NONE could hang!
    Apparently slamming diesel wrist pins out of piston/rod assemblies was hard work? They would rather sit in the bar day-drinking, running up a tab.
    Then, sit at home after they had no money to pay said tab. Different strokes.............
    The bar-maids liked me cause I always threw greenbacks on the bar, and they never had to write anything down!

11. Likes macds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you scrape by [if you had to for a certain amount of time] on your regular pay PLUS $600 (now $400?) to stay home and not pay daycare, or whatnot... ???

----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not real relevant,but......two millenials turned up at my door last week,enquiring about my pickup/did I want to hire it out?.....Anyway ,turns out they are both Uni tutors,contracts not renewed due to covid,foreign students,etc.....no money ..but getting "jobfindr "at $500 a week......lot more than I get ......anyway ,they are going to start an odd job man business......so I ask them to build my (long stalled) tin fence.....all materials there ,some posts already concreted in etc.....just assemble panels.....I offer $40 an hour/each...which seems reasonable to me...Start 6am next day/not! .....anyhoo ,they keep turning up at odd times ,wanting to borrow stuff,and so far they have sold me the tyres and wheels from their own pickup (good deal $50 ea,near new tyres.....hope they own them)......so far only fence erected is the section where I demonstrated how to do it,while they watched.....My knees are affected by arthritis,bone to bone,so its an effort.

14. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I am changing alum production parts in the mill today, trying to make sure that I git all of the chips out from inside the jaw/fixtures, my mind wanders to you having to doo this over and over, and your battle with the whole issue of "can I robot this or not" scenario.

I just saw this in Cutting Tool Engineering mag, and I guess they are splitting hairs about this being a "first" as I seen them doo this at IMTS prolly 25 years ago, but I'm sure that it is a WHOLE lot cheaper to pull them out of the crate randomly these days.

Flipbook

But more to the point that I was thinking while at the machine is - if your automation doesn't "see" that last chip actually blow back in the fixture, and you end up producing an out-of-spec part, how would you even know?

But that brought me to the next thought - about a visual CMM that was here for demo this week - that I was actually impressed with. There may or may not be others out there competing directly agginst it - IDK, but for what this can doo, how fast it can doo it, and for the $ (not that I price CMM's .. ever, but ..) and could see this actually being in your (or mine) unload routine and it could check for a bad part.

Anyone have experience with the Keyence IM-7000 unit?

An occassional bad part thrown by automation - if culled right away and the rest actually qualified as good - could have a very positive yield at the end of the year.

Just tossin' it out there....

-----------------

16. Likes digger doug, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Counterpoint - there's another thread this morning about serious issues with a UR robot.
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-review-383614

Always seems to me that when the folks who do big complicated automation (outside of the CNC machine itself) projects write here, the projects are always complicated and involve lots of tuning. (Tonytn36, Motion Guru) At least some of these lines involve various automatic inline inspection systems.

On the other hand, Danny Rudolph continues to post instagram images of a UR style (maybe an actual UR) doing useful work in his shop. (But I don't recall seeing it inside his swiss lathes.) [Seems to me he has posted here a time or two as well.]

So the *pieces* maybe getting more accessible, but are whole systems that can be changed over or set up for a new part quickly getting more accessible? (I think they are to be honest, but ....)

Oddly, does all of this make the haas APL units actually more competitive? (Gantry rather than arm...)

18. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you scrape by [if you had to for a certain amount of time] on your regular pay PLUS $600 (now $400?) to stay home and not pay daycare, or whatnot... ???

----------------

I'm a little confused... My regular pay PLUS $600 and I would be rich. But as I said, FL unemployment is less than $300/week, which is about 1/4 of my regular pay, so that $300 (roughly) + the $600, still leaves me short about 25%. Could I do it? Yes short (very short) term. Now I guess if you were working part time and only making 2-300/wk to begin with, it does "make sense" those people want to stay home and collect. (no daycare expenses for me in a very long time so not a factor)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Counterpoint - there's another thread this morning about serious issues with a UR robot.

Always seems to me that when the folks who do big complicated automation (outside of the CNC machine itself) projects write here, the projects are always complicated and involve lots of tuning. (Tonytn36, Motion Guru) At least some of these lines involve various automatic inline inspection systems.

On the other hand, Danny Rudolph continues to post instagram images of a UR style (maybe an actual UR) doing useful work in his shop. (But I don't recall seeing it inside his swiss lathes.) [Seems to me he has posted here a time or two as well.]

So the *pieces* maybe getting more accessible, but are whole systems that can be changed over or set up for a new part quickly getting more accessible? (I think they are to be honest, but ....)

Oddly, does all of this make the haas APL units actually more competitive? (Gantry rather than arm...)
    No experience, just a guess, but I would say yes definitely. Aren't robots in the 20k range anyways? Then all the integration and troubleshooting.... If the Haas unit really is plug and play sounds like a no-brainer if you have Haas machines and are heading that direction anyways...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The extra $600 a week was federal, so everyone in every USA state got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last I heard - the current situation is an extra $400/week with the state kicking in $100 of it.
    If the state won't pony up, you git none.

Not sure if that has been edited since, but...

Pretty slick deal.
    The Feds can simply print their $300, but where does the state fetch all of these $100 bills from?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[snip]

The Feds can simply print their $300, but where does the state fetch all of these $100 bills from?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last I heard, Gretchen ran up a pretty big tab and is begging the feds to bail her out. I don't think they're going to, but maybe it'll all be "forgiven" if blue gets a clean sweep. That'd be nice, just select all the debts you don't like and hit the delete key...

If not, I don't know what they're going to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I am changing alum production parts in the mill today, trying to make sure that I git all of the chips out from inside the jaw/fixtures, my mind wanders to you having to doo this over and over, and your battle with the whole issue of "can I robot this or not" scenario.

I just saw this in Cutting Tool Engineering mag, and I guess they are splitting hairs about this being a "first" as I seen them doo this at IMTS prolly 25 years ago, but I'm sure that it is a WHOLE lot cheaper to pull them out of the crate randomly these days.

Flipbook

But more to the point that I was thinking while at the machine is - if your automation doesn't "see" that last chip actually blow back in the fixture, and you end up producing an out-of-spec part, how would you even know?

But that brought me to the next thought - about a visual CMM that was here for demo this week - that I was actually impressed with. There may or may not be others out there competing directly agginst it - IDK, but for what this can doo, how fast it can doo it, and for the $ (not that I price CMM's .. ever, but ..) and could see this actually being in your (or mine) unload routine and it could check for a bad part.

Anyone have experience with the Keyence IM-7000 unit?

An occassional bad part thrown by automation - if culled right away and the rest actually qualified as good - could have a very positive yield at the end of the year.

Just tossin' it out there....

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post

I'll chime back in shortly and let you guys know how it runs. To say I'm not nervous at all would be a lie!
    I'm excited as all get out! Yet, very nervous.

One of the ways to insure proper 2nd OP part load is a simple probing cycle. With Brothers being as fast as they are, there isn't even a "real" time penalty.
    But, this brings me to MY achilles: I know absolutely nothing about macros. And, as much as I like the yamazen apps dude, I do not want to be dependent on anybody!
    So, in the short-term anyways, any time I benefit from the bot running parts for me? Will surely get sucked up by me learning how to make the bot do its thing.

I'm a bit of a slow learner with tech related stuff. So, I'm staring down (up?) a real steep/long climb right now.
    I guess "Pin it to Win it!" Braaaaap!