My continued struggle to find decent shop help - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

My wife makes around $14, and even though it is not so much physical labor, she puts up with a lot of shit dealing with the public. Fuck That!
    I had a grand total of one job dealing with the public, working as a theater doorman for a couple months when I was in High School, no thanks ever again at any price. I was shocked I lasted as long as I did before getting fired. The amount of people who are self centered to the extreme are a lot more prevalent than a person who never had worked with the public would believe. I did not roll with the customer is always right motto. I treat everyone with the utmost respect, and treat others how I want to be treated, most people do not do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    But seriously - You said that you needed a guy to run 3 mills. when you come in, the guy has !_5_! mills running making good parts, and then in another breath, you mention that you'd be damned if you'd pay him or anyone else, anymore money...? WTF man, he's going above and beyond to make YOU money - how is that not deserving of a higher wage?

[/I]
    Yea, I think you are a good dude as well. But, please spend a little more time reading..............may I direct you to post#51 (which you have already referenced)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    FYI, my #1 guy Joe started (happily) at $14/hr with zero experience (stepped out of a fedex truck with full bennies to do it).
    He is over $20 now. Turned down his last raise. Has two weeks paid vacation. 6 paid holidays. $5~6 hundred dollar bonuses every 2~4 months. And, is happy as a clam.
    I think I have a pretty good grasp on what I need. And, how to keep a good employee happy.
    If you want to waste good money figuring out if employees are good or bad? That is your problem.
    I have no problem paying Joe more! Joe is worth more! I have told Joe he is worth more. Joe turned down a raise! I give Joe several hundred dollar cash bonuses every few months!

I AM NOT TRYING TO HIRE ANOTHER JOE

With that said, if I stumble on another Joe, and have enough work to keep that individual gainfully employed, I will treat them just as well as I treat Joe.

But, I am not going to treat people I do not know off the hop, like I treat Joe, only to find out they cant even stand inside Joe's shadow.

3. Likes JustAbout, DrHook, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turnworks View Post
    Younger generation doesn't seem to be as naive as the previous ones. I was young and naive and fell for a "start you low but prove you are a good worker and I'll increase your pay" line and got burned. I worked hard and smart which led to tiny tiny raises but much much more work load and responsibilities.
    I really think most are missing the point. From my view point the OP is happy where he is at, he likes the volume and his customer base. He just needs a steady, reliable helper to fill a role. I think he has been honest about what he wants. I honestly think a part time person supplementing social security or a homemaker looking for part time work to earn some cash and get out of the house are the only ones that may be good fit. In the old days college student looking for part time work could fit, but not in this day and age.

5. Likes wheelieking71, DrHook, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I had a grand total of one job dealing with the public, working as a theater doorman for a couple months when I was in High School, no thanks ever again at any price. I was shocked I lasted as long as I did before getting fired. The amount of people who are self centered to the extreme are a lot more prevalent than a person who never had worked with the public would believe. I did not roll with the customer is always right motto. I treat everyone with the utmost respect, and treat others how I want to be treated, most people do not do that.
    Luckily for me I realized that I wasn't a people person so I went for jobs where I didn't have to deal directly with the public in those type of service industries while I was in high school.

7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    No you come on here bitching about your hires not working out and push it off on "not having enough money in jobs to pay more" well you're doing something wrong by the laws of business.

My advice is for you to sell off your shop and never look back. You will be much happier given the number of rant threads you post on here.
    It could be bought. But, you already knew that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I really think most are missing the point. From my view point the OP is happy where he is at, he likes the volume and his customer base. He just needs a steady, reliable helper to fill a role. I think he has been honest about what he wants.
    Bingo! Bout freaking time somebody gets it (well, Mike, you get it to).

10. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wheelie, weren't you going to put a robot on your R650?

If you did, would you still need another employee?

Also, I think part of your problem is location. What you need is an automotive production line worker. A lot of those, especially temps*, are paid less than you think.

*Part-timers so they don't get all the union benefits and pay...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turnworks View Post
    Younger generation doesn't seem to be as naive as the previous ones. I was young and naive and fell for a "start you low but prove you are a good worker and I'll increase your pay" line and got burned. I worked hard and smart which led to tiny tiny raises but much much more work load and responsibilities.

I've never fallen for that again. An in writing pay scale over time with clear objectives to meet is a big plus if I'm looking to work for a business. I do not and will not trust flattery like I did at my first job. I hear flattery and in my head I just think liar liar liar liar.

Personal favorite was an HR lady's speech to me after asking for a raise. She went on about I didn't have the correct loyalty to see the company succeed. I promptly turned in my notice then after a meeting got the raise I wanted and continued working for them.
    We're still naive. I'm part of this younger generation.

My first job was going to be as an operator at 10$/hr fresh out of trade school. In my interview I mentioned I loved taking a part all the way through the process, programming, setting it up, and seeing it run. He ended up offering me a programming job instead. They had a bunch of us kids up there programming in Featurecam after they kicked their old programming department out. (Don't ask me how or why any of this happened, at the time I didn't think any of it was that abnormal.) Anyway, they would send us to training for various things and always make us sign a contract saying that we would pay back the price of the training and travel in full if we quit or got another job. Before I knew it I was under like 3 different contracts totaling $6000 and I was making $11 an hour. I couldn't pay it back, and they knew that.

I ended up leading the implementation of our first CNC laser, and basically ran that department, while also programming our horizontal cells and designing fixtures and reorganizing our file structures etc. All while making $11 an hour. I'll never forget standing in front of the laser showing it off for the owner. I told him that the run time on these parts was something like 8 seconds and he said "wow, not bad for $24 a part". I stood there while the sheet ran out and counted each part knowing that every 8 seconds he was making almost 2 hours worth of my time.

I had friends smoking weed and working at nordstrom rack making more than me. But, experience is it's own form of compensation, and even though I knew I wasn't getting paid shit at the time I knew it would pay off further down the line and it did. I feel like I got about 6 years worth in the year and a half I was there.

Eventually we all got together and decided to stop signing the contracts. When I ended up leaving they tried to ask for the full amount including the contract I didn't sign. I laughed in the HR ladies face and told her that wasn't going to happen. Had her take it off, and my new company bought out the rest.

Anyway, my point is that we still exist and are still here and still naive, and your wage isn't the thing holding you back if you get a kid coming fresh into the industry. Get a kid who's fresh and wants to learn the trade.

13. Likes DanielG, Mike1974, Fancuku, Ox, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    For high-production machine operators, and I’ve said this before, but I’ve got one word for you: Mexicans.

Now before some of you chime in about how they will steal from you, and show up high every day, believe it or not there is a large percentage of Mexicans here in the US that are here to work!

They’re not here to smuggle drugs, or steal, or bang white women. They know if they break the law they will be deported FOR GOOD.

You just need to find a couple of them that are here for work, and that have families back in Mexico they send most of their money back to.

I’m telling ya, the honest Mexicans work like rented mules, are loyal, and appreciate a good job.

ToolCat Greg
    You can't call them Mexicans, I think it's now LatinX, or some BS like that.

+1 on hiring Mexicans. Last place I worked was 70% mexican. The CNC guys were for the most part as good as the indigenous or European workers there. Conventional and bench guys were also very good. Hourly rate wasn't great, but the place worked constantly 66hrs/week, so weekly pay could be very good. They were also for mexicans quite calm. No loud music, burnouts down the street etc.

There's alot of Mexicans in the shop the other side of the carpark from me. You can hear those fuckers about 5 blocks away on their way into work, then they have to spin the tires coming into the carpark, windows open, music at 11.

There's a very good shop near me, I had a walk thru, there was some very cute Mexican girls on the Mori cnc lathes. I asked him if they were better, the owner said "no macho bullshit, quick and very willing to learn,always turn up on time, no child care issues as grandma does the babysitting etc"

I'd look for a Hispanic girl, (sorry LatinX girl) just make sure she doesn't have a crazy husband/boyfriend.

15. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It could be bought. But, you already knew that.
    If your shop was bought, would you delete your account here so we never have to hear another complaint thread again?

Whats the male version of Karen these days..?

17. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The takeways from this thread

Need to pay $35/hour
    Need a bathroom, break room, nap room.
    Need 401k
    4 weeks min vacation first year
    Need to get ISO and all your problems will be solved.
    Need robots.
    Profit share if there is any.
    Need to be able to offer unlimited time off due to, death in family, incarceration after multiple DUI's, mental disabilities, any plausible excuse.
    No questions asked if it's the third time the employee has to go to gran's funeral this year.
    cash on hand to post bail if employee gets locked up (again)
    Red carpet and warm welcome required every morning.
    Unlimited use of company vehicle.

Probably a few I've missed.

I suspect most posters would need to live in Gilbert awhile to understand your dilemma. What you going thru isn't any different from what a shop owner would be experiencing say here in Orange County

19. Likes as9100d, wheelieking71, DrHook, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Also, I think part of your problem is location. What you need is an automotive production line worker. A lot of those, especially temps*, are paid less than you think.
    No, I am aware of the wages. It is the benefits I can not compete with. It is almost impossible for a little guy like me to provide health ins. for 1 or 2 guys.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post

Need to pay $35/hour
    Need 401k
    Need robots.
    Need to be able to offer unlimited time off due to, death in family, incarceration after multiple DUI's, mental disabilities, any plausible excuse.
    No questions asked if it's the third time the employee has to go to gran's funeral this year.

Dont forget the unlimited supply of community meth/coke/whatever drug of choice makes you happy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post

Need to pay $35/hour
    Need 401k
    Need robots.

Yea you missed one.

-Proceed to go out of business because you can't afford all (any?) of the above.

Bingo!!

23. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, I am aware of the wages. It is the benefits I can not compete with. It is almost impossible for a little guy like me to provide health ins. for 1 or 2 guys.
    You can provide it, quickbooks has some very affordable plans for small business. Just cant be a cheap bastard that only wants to pay $3.50 for health insurance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camputer View Post
    We're still naive. I'm part of this younger generation.

My first job was going to be as an operator at 10$/hr fresh out of trade school. In my interview I mentioned I loved taking a part all the way through the process, programming, setting it up, and seeing it run. He ended up offering me a programming job instead. They had a bunch of us kids up there programming in Featurecam after they kicked their old programming department out. (Don't ask me how or why any of this happened, at the time I didn't think any of it was that abnormal.) Anyway, they would send us to training for various things and always make us sign a contract saying that we would pay back the price of the training and travel in full if we quit or got another job. Before I knew it I was under like 3 different contracts totaling $6000 and I was making $11 an hour. I couldn't pay it back, and they knew that.

I ended up leading the implementation of our first CNC laser, and basically ran that department, while also programming our horizontal cells and designing fixtures and reorganizing our file structures etc. All while making $11 an hour. I'll never forget standing in front of the laser showing it off for the owner. I told him that the run time on these parts was something like 8 seconds and he said "wow, not bad for $24 a part". I stood there while the sheet ran out and counted each part knowing that every 8 seconds he was making almost 2 hours worth of my time.

I had friends smoking weed and working at nordstrom rack making more than me. But, experience is it's own form of compensation, and even though I knew I wasn't getting paid shit at the time I knew it would pay off further down the line and it did. I feel like I got about 6 years worth in the year and a half I was there.

Eventually we all got together and decided to stop signing the contracts. When I ended up leaving they tried to ask for the full amount including the contract I didn't sign. I laughed in the HR ladies face and told her that wasn't going to happen. Had her take it off, and my new company bought out the rest.

Anyway, my point is that we still exist and are still here and still naive, and your wage isn't the thing holding you back if you get a kid coming fresh into the industry. Get a kid who's fresh and wants to learn the trade.
    I got a story too. (possibwee shared before)...
    Worked part time at a place, they called me on word of mouth from some one I worked with previously. Offered me job, money I wanted, A-OK. Did maybe 4-6 months and got too tired with a newborn at home so I quit (on good terms). FT job blew up so I breezed in there and asked if they were hiring. "Sure!, when can you interview?' Umm ok, whenever tomorrow next day. Plant manager conducts a 2 hour (seriously!) interview with me the whole time I am thinking "WTF!!?? he knows the work I did/can do??"

Get hired, review at 90 days or whatever. Makes me do a *self-evaluation*, in writing, questions about where I see myself in 5 years... OK, whatever do it, get review, gives me a 15 CENT raise!. If I didn't have a family at the time I would have walked out then and there. Well, sweet sweet karma, he got laid off a few months later! Showed up a month or so later, says "Well, I got a job, but it doesn't pay enough" Bwahahaha!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About a decade or so ago I was getting lunch at a Subway. The sandwich artist (this one deserved the title) was looking each customer in the eye with a pleasant smile, taking their detailed order, while simultaneously quickly and accurately preparing the previous order. And working fast, never a misstep or error. He was probably about four times as productive as the average worker. Too bad I wasn't in a position to hire or I would have offered him a job on the spot. I suggested he look into a machining career.

27. Likes Philabuster, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your shop was bought, would you delete your account here so we never have to hear another complaint thread again?

Whats the male version of Karen these days..?
    That's below the belt and not even related!!

Unfortunately, with America's health system, that will probably always keep you down. Benefits are like ? #2 for me recently, how much do I pay and what coverage am I getting (especially being older and having diabetes)

You can provide it, quickbooks has some very affordable plans for small business. Just cant be a cheap bastard that only wants to pay $3.50 for health insurance.
    Quit being a dick man! Not everyone runs a multimillion dollar shop, or wants to. Besides, your revenue is peanuts compared to a job I had a few years back. 18billion plus at the time, 65mil machine shop going up overseas, flying several of us out 3 weeks at a time, all expenses paid...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That's below the belt and not even related!!

Unfortunately, with America's health system, that will probably always keep you down. Benefits are like ? #2 for me recently, how much do I pay and what coverage am I getting (especially being older and having diabetes)

Quit being a dick man! Not everyone runs a multimillion dollar shop, or wants to. Besides, your revenue is peanuts compared to a job I had a few years back. 18billion plus at the time, 65mil machine shop going up overseas, flying several of us out 3 weeks at a time, all expenses paid...
    You dont own a shop. You work at a shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So having a bathroom is now like a nice warm welcome

35 an hour is a million dollars

how old are you?

pathetic

31. Likes as9100d liked this post