Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    You push ISO, and I'll be an arse to everyone who knows more than I do.

By our powers combined, we are Darrin Neagle!
    Shush, two more times and just like beetlejuice, he might reappear...

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya know that guy was workin for you.......yeah,the super good one.....well ,by strange coincidence,he's workin for me now.....and yeah ,he s as good as you said.

3. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You push ISO, and I'll be an arse to everyone who knows more than I do.

By our powers combined, we are Darrin Neagle!
    It certainly would take at least two people be be as ignorant...............

5. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    and indoor plumbing.
    Mostly money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dodgin View Post
    None of this would be an issue if your shop was ISO certified.
    I have zero understanding of this comment.
    I love such quality systems but do not get how it fits or fixes the OP's problems.
    Bob

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I have zero understanding of this comment.
    I love such quality systems but do not get how it fits or fixes the OP's problems.
    Bob
    It is a joke. Directed at (about) former member AS9100

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I figured he just didn't show up today.

That said... If he really is autistic (and your description of him fits the bill well)... Many autistic people do not handle normal social interaction well. Confrontation is even more difficult. And I know that to you or I, quitting a job isn't confrontation, it's just part of every day life. Things are a little different in the brain of someone with autism. It may well be he literally couldn't bring himself to tell you he quit.

Try not to be too hard on the guy in your head.

That said... It sucks you gotta start this whole thing over again. I hope you have better luck next time.
    Yeah.....Just for Wheeli...I could have driven over to Mespo, and got his new employee some shop clothes, stuff them in a flat rate box...including the straw hat....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has maybe been mentioned before... I (we) know you aren't really looking for a setup guy/machinist/toolmaker/programmer, etc. You need someone to load parts. What about instead of going to the "middle" (IE semi-skilled $12-14/hr people), go for the complete noob entry level? The guy/gal working at McD's or whatever, 18-20 years old that knows they don't want to work in fast food forever?

My story (for what it's worth), started in an injection molding place as a janitor, courtesy of my sister working there. High school dropout with a fresh GED. After I got the routine down, had an easy half a day to kill after my daily routines were done. They put me to work in the afternoons with the maint department. It was the crap work, filling hydraulic oil, cleaning tanks and chillers, heat exchangers, the stuff the "senior" guys didn't want to do, but I thrived, I was fairly mechanically inclined, and I didn't mind getting dirty so that helped me .

Fast forward about 18 months or so, they started an in-house toolroom for repairs, and small simple mold builds. Started working with the toolmaker they hired. Grunt work, filing, deburring, cutting stock, the usual. All the while still cleaning and helping maintenance.... soon after they asked me if I was interested in an apprenticeship, took me out of 'janitorial' department and went full time in the toolroom, and now almost 30 years later, I am still in machining.

12. Likes charlie gary, Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    This has maybe been mentioned before... I (we) know you aren't really looking for a setup guy/machinist/toolmaker/programmer, etc. You need someone to load parts. What about instead of going to the "middle" (IE semi-skilled $12-14/hr people), go for the complete noob entry level? The guy/gal working at McD's or whatever, 18-20 years old that knows they don't want to work in fast food forever?

My story (for what it's worth), started in an injection molding place as a janitor, courtesy of my sister working there. High school dropout with a fresh GED. After I got the routine down, had an easy half a day to kill after my daily routines were done. They put me to work in the afternoons with the maint department. It was the crap work, filling hydraulic oil, cleaning tanks and chillers, heat exchangers, the stuff the "senior" guys didn't want to do, but I thrived, I was fairly mechanically inclined, and I didn't mind getting dirty so that helped me .

Fast forward about 18 months or so, they started an in-house toolroom for repairs, and small simple mold builds. Started working with the toolmaker they hired. Grunt work, filing, deburring, cutting stock, the usual. All the while still cleaning and helping maintenance.... soon after they asked me if I was interested in an apprenticeship, took me out of 'janitorial' department and went full time in the toolroom, and now almost 30 years later, I am still in machining.

Dunno bout your area... But here McD's is starting those entry level burger flippers at $15/hr with benefits. And a bathroom. And a free meal with each shift you work.

So that "entry level" guy isn't any cheaper than someone with a year or two experience.

14. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno bout your area... But here McD's is starting those entry level burger flippers at $15/hr with benefits. And a bathroom. And a free meal with each shift you work.

So that "entry level" guy isn't any cheaper than someone with a year or two experience.
    Yes, but the ADA person won't like dealing with:
    1. customers
    2. other employees
    3. rapidly changing jobs

16. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea what they pay in the Tampa area, but, the entry level cnc guy (1-2 years) probably thinks they know more than they do (and want to be paid for it ), which is unfortunate, but it is what it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yes, but the ADA person won't like dealing with:
    1. customers
    2. other employees
    3. rapidly changing jobs
    Counting in High School I have had a little over 20 different jobs, only one where the customers were from the general public when I worked at a movie theater. When you are dealing with a huge amount of people on a daily basis, you will often run across people who are impossible to deal with due to a multitude of reasons. My favorite are the people who think only of themselves and no one else. I wouldn't work at a Mc D's if it paid $50 an hour.

19. Likes wheelieking71, dsjansen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks to me what is unfortunate is that no prisoners are allowed out on a work program to be rehabilitated by working.

You have not hired older retired machinists part time yet have you? That might be worth a try if you could stand them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I'm about to bring on a new part timer..................mid 60's. Lives close and our families hang out together. Wants another year or two of part time work before he fully retires. I'm flexible. He's flexible. Doesn't care that he'll be a button pusher, broom pusher, clean up guy. He'll come on board after deer hunting. The older guys I have had working for me over the years have always been pretty darn good. Give 'em a task, explain it thoroughly and they just get it done.
    Bill
    This guy started a few weeks ago and nothing but a great worker. Show him what I need done and he does it with no complaints. Not a speed demon, but just consistent and meticulous. You need to find a retired guy who is bored with retirement and wants to get outa the house even a few days a week....................................

22. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is exactly what I am after Mike.

Just because it pays more (and it doesn't), doesn't really mean everybody is going to flock to it. Yes, McD's has a bathroom. And, you have to ask if you can go use it.
    Or have somebody cover your station while you hurriedly go use it.
    Here, you just take a leisurely stroll across the yard. Or cruise down the street on the clock. Stop and grab a bite to eat if you want. Whatever/Whenever?

There is no amount of money that would put me working at McD's.
    Not sure why McD's has been the metric by which an entry level position has been measured in this thread?
    When I was that age, food service was not even an option.

24. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post

Just because it pays more (and it doesn't), doesn't really mean everybody is going to flock to it. Yes, McD's has a bathroom. And, you have to ask if you can go use it.
    Here, you just take a leisurely stroll across the yard. Or cruise down the street on the clock. Stop and grab a bite to eat if you want. Whatever/Whenever?

Not sure why McD's has been the metric by which an entry level position has been measured in this thread?
    Can't say why for this particular thread, but fast food seems to be the most entry level job you can get, and go to work after school when you are 16 or so. And I think there are basically no requirements to get a job in fast food. Don't put your hand on the grill, or in the fryer and you have the skills required LoL.

edit: And I agree I would have to be desperate to work in fast food, customers, time clock, constantly changing schedule.... ugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because that's where high school age kids with zero marketable skills (which is what you're looking for) go work these days. Or Publix, which starts at $15/hr with stock options, tuition reiumbursement, insurance, and 401K. Or Chic Fil A, with all of the above. Or 7-11, which gets up to the $20 mark for night shift, from what I've seen.

I get it, YOU wouldn't have worked at a McDonald's at 16. Neither would I. But you've already proven you're outside the ordinary by starting your own successful shop. I don't have the drive to be an owner, so I built up a good career as a successful employee at a successful shop.

If you're gonna find an employee that works for you, you gotta stop thinking they're gonna BE like you.

You're posting a job for young you. Young you rarely exists anymore. I got my first job at 6, hawking newspapers on the cruise ship docks in Skagway, AK. As an Asian, all the tourists thought I was an Inuit, they'd pay money to take pictures with me.

I got paid $5 per cruise ship (about an hour's work), but I rarely left with less than $50 in tips in my pocket, some days over $100.

I did that job every summer until I was 13. Summers I wasn't in Alaska, I did yard work, washed windows, picked fruit for the neighborhood old ladies, whatever was available, for whatever they'd pay me. I got my first legal, taxable job at 16... I went to the Blockbuster Video near my house and applied on a Monday. They told me come back Wednesday and we'd discuss my application. They were busy on Wednesday, told me to come back Friday and we'd discuss it. I went in on Friday night, they had a line out the door.

I sat at the application kiosk for about an hour and a half before the manager looked at me and said "You really want this job, huh?" I replied in the affirmative. He told me "You're hired, be here Monday after school, we'll do the paperwork".

People like you and I WANT to work. Not everyone WANTS to work. The current generation is less motivated by earnings and more motivated by the experience. Sure, working in a shop where I can say "Hey boss, I'm going to the gas station for a number 2 and a smoke, want me to grab you anything while I'm there" sounds a HELLUVA lot better than working in a fast food gig to me... But I'm weird. You're weird. Most of the guys (and gals) that post on this site are weird. We're all wired weird, that's why we're machinists.

I know you're not looking for a machinist, you're looking for a loading monkey. I think you need to accept that the loading monkey is gonna be weird... Because they'll probably be normal. And that's weird to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it was the time and place, but when I entered the workforce in the mid 70's in High School other than the manager fast food joint employees were either students or retired working part time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because that's where high school age kids with zero marketable skills (which is what you're looking for) go work these days. Or Publix, which starts at $15/hr with stock options, tuition reiumbursement, insurance, and 401K. Or Chic Fil A, with all of the above. Or 7-11, which gets up to the $20 mark for night shift, from what I've seen.

SNIP

People like you and I WANT to work. Not everyone WANTS to work. The current generation is less motivated by earnings and more motivated by the experience. Sure, working in a shop where I can say "Hey boss, I'm going to the gas station for a number 2 and a smoke, want me to grab you anything while I'm there" sounds a HELLUVA lot better than working in a fast food gig to me... But I'm weird. You're weird. Most of the guys (and gals) that post on this site are weird. We're all wired weird, that's why we're machinists.

I know you're not looking for a machinist, you're looking for a loading monkey. I think you need to accept that the loading monkey is gonna be weird... Because they'll probably be normal. And that's weird to you.
    That's the opposite IME. Every college grad wants to start at the bottom at 6 figures, because they were told that was what college would do for them. YMMV

For me, I was a lazy no motivated kid in high school. No idea what I wanted to do. I will say I got equal parts lucky, AND I got motivated because machining and tools interested me, but before my first job I had no clue about anything...

29. Likes JDennis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the opposite IME. Every college grad wants to start at the bottom at 6 figures, because they were told that was what college would do for them. YMMV

For me, I was a lazy no motivated kid in high school. No idea what I wanted to do. I will say I got equal parts lucky, AND I got motivated because machining and tools interested me, but before my first job I had no clue about anything...

LOL I'm the opposite. I was motivated as all get out in high school. Graduated 4th in my class of 430 with a 5.89 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Knew I wanted to be an engineer. Didn't know what an engineer did, or why I wanted to be one, just that if you want to be successful, and you're good at math, you go become an engineer. So I went to Georgia Tech.

Became unmotivated. Dropped out. Worked a dead end job for $7 an hour for a few years, partied (easy to live on $7/hr when you have 3 roommates in Georgia)... Eventually moved back home, worked as a carpenter for awhile, which I enjoyed, and the pay was awesome... But it's not a career you retire from... You work till you're dead, and I didn't want that. Lucked into the apprenticeship program at my current job, and here I've been, ever since. My role is perfect, because it's hands on, I get to hold the results of my work, but it's also intensely intellectual, I'm constantly having to research things, learn new programming techniques, create and prove out macros, design custom tool holders and other fixtures.

I'm lucky to be where I am, and I never forget it.

It helps that my boss is awesome, and my entire team is great. We're doing team building tomorrow.... Our young engineer and I have a bet on who can hit the most sporting clays (neither of us has ever shot sporting clays before).... Loser has to apply 3 layers of self tanning lotion to their face.

Last Christmas we did the same, but with plain old Skeet shooting, loser had to shave his head. I ruined his Christmas photos with his bald head, so I'm trying to turn that into a tradition by beating him again tomorrow