What's new
What's new

My new assistant and chauffeur

garyhlucas

Stainless
My 16 year old grandson was just hired by my employer as my paid ($15 an hour) assistant for the summer, and possibly into the school year. He is working his ass off to get ahead with college. He has finished all his high school senior requirements except gym an is taking college chemistry and statics over the summer. The goal is to get two free years of college while in high school and finish his 4 year degree in just two more years. He has a 3.94 GPA so far.

So he will be working with me Tuesday, Thursday, and Fridays. We are rebuilding automation from china currently and will be designing and building some new automation in the fall. He already knows how to use AutoCad, SolidWorks and a basic cam program and can run a CNC mill. A big CNC drilling machine with 16 spindles arrived today. We will be be building the control system for it because it doesn't do any coordinated motion, just X and Z, step and drill and we want a recipe system for programming our products.

I have SO been looking forward to this! All because I lost my job and took a new one with no travel.

Glad to see a motivated young man that isn't spending the summer playing video games. Sounds like he has a bright future. I didn't even think they had gym class anymore.

No all virtual classes at this point. Don’t know whether regular school will reopen yet. At work he stays in our area and we eat lunch in the car. We both wear N95 masks all the time as lots of people have theirs pulled down. Big building, distancing is easy. Lakewood NJ is home to lots of Hasidic Jews that don’t believe the pandemic is for them. Lots of large getherings, lots of deaths have happened. Just god calling them home I guess.

Just a quick follow up. It is going well with my grandson, his first real job and he's excited to be making a little over a hundred bucks a day. Currently I have him wiring a knife cutter control panel with a small PLC and doing all the pneumatic tubing too. This is in prep for working with me to wire the big chinese 16 spindle drilling machine. We've started to take it apart, to eliminate nearly 300 lbs of excess weight on the two Z axis, or this thing will be a dog at pecking hundreds of holes. Then we have to fix all the stupid stuff that will fail in the first week of operation if we don't. 16 clamp adapter plates with 4 holes and 2 slots and no two are alike! Trying to decide to remachine or toss them.

It has been really hot and uncomfortable but he doesn't complain and has been working steadily. We sit in the car with the AC on at lunch time. Too many people with masks dangling and his mother would kill me if he got sick. I am really enjoying this!

Sounds great - the hands on experience is something that will set him aside from the rest in his journey in life - especially if he wants to get into a technical field.

Just a quick follow up. It is going well with my grandson, his first real job and he's excited to be making a little over a hundred bucks a day. Currently I have him wiring a knife cutter control panel with a small PLC and doing all the pneumatic tubing too. This is in prep for working with me to wire the big chinese 16 spindle drilling machine. We've started to take it apart, to eliminate nearly 300 lbs of excess weight on the two Z axis, or this thing will be a dog at pecking hundreds of holes. Then we have to fix all the stupid stuff that will fail in the first week of operation if we don't. 16 clamp adapter plates with 4 holes and 2 slots and no two are alike! Trying to decide to remachine or toss them.

It has been really hot and uncomfortable but he doesn't complain and has been working steadily. We sit in the car with the AC on at lunch time. Too many people with masks dangling and his mother would kill me if he got sick. I am really enjoying this!

I have been on the east coast 10 years and this seems to be the most miserable summer yet. Certain jobs don't seem to go well with being hot and sweaty. I would say wiring and plumbing a bunch of air lines qualifies as two of those. I built and installed a new rotary phase converter last week, hated every minute of it, I feel your pain. I am waving the white flag and putting AC in my shop.

I have been on the east coast 10 years and this seems to be the most miserable summer yet. Certain jobs don't seem to go well with being hot and sweaty. I would say wiring and plumbing a bunch of air lines qualifies as two of those. I built and installed a new rotary phase converter last week, hated every minute of it, I feel your pain. I am waving the white flag and putting AC in my shop.

Try being in FL! :eek: It's been awful the last few weeks. Heat indexes of over 100deg, temps in the mid to upper 90's yuck. :ack2: I am very fortunate we have AC at the shop, running at 75deg.

Hmph. Just the normal July here, 8 or 9 straight days of 105 and 107 heat with 60+% humidity. Little hurricane down south cooled us off to 93 the last two days.

Try being in FL! :eek: It's been awful the last few weeks. Heat indexes of over 100deg, temps in the mid to upper 90's yuck. :ack2: I am very fortunate we have AC at the shop, running at 75deg.

Wuss.

(Kidding, this summer seems worse than normal. And the rainstorms aren't as frequent, or as long. The lakes in my neighborhood are still too low)

Wuss.

(Kidding, this summer seems worse than normal. And the rainstorms aren't as frequent, or as long. The lakes in my neighborhood are still too low)

I'd give you guys a hard time, but I know what will happen when January rolls around. :stirthepot:

We Michiganders have this saying, "You can always put on more clothes, but you can only take so many off." :D

Just had a week straight of 100 degree heat here with high humidity, the only thing better than Florida is our summer only lasts 3 months, from what I hear you guys get 5+ months of nasty heat and humidity. I have only been to Florida once to go to Disney World a couple years ago it was hot and humid in early May, FTS! I do not believe in the accuracy of the heat index. Before I moved east 10 years ago, I lived in and visited areas that often got into the 120's. The first year I lived in Palm Desert Ca.,it hit 128, but it was very dry heat. Plenty of times it will say "feels like 108" due to the heat index, my opinion is it feels like a dry 115 or higher. I would rather be in 120 degree dry heat than 100 with 50+ humidity.

Is there no issue with him being under 18 but in an industrial environment? Is your guardianship a way around any issues?

I had though that underage was a blocker, but perhaps not. Sounds like things are good so far, though. Great experience few young men have these days.

Back