What's new
What's new

need business card source recommendations......and a small rant

77ironhead

Titanium
first the rant- I went into Staples to order some business cards, went through the whole rigamarole of modifying their generic template on the in-store computer, finally got 'almost' what I wanted, placed my order, registered my e-mail with Staples, paid for it, and was told they'd be ready in 7 days.
7 days comes and goes, no e- notification that they're done, finally call the store and am told they are. I'm kinda busy, so I ask SWMBO to swing by on her way by and pick them up. She gets home and tells me she got charged for them.....'huh'??.....I paid when I ordered. So SWMBO drives back into town, gets a refund, asks them what they're going to do to make this better- time is money (not to mention the extra aggravation), guys tells her 'I wish we could refund time'. So, I'm going to push the Staples 'Easy Button' and do business elsewhere (see how easy that was?).....

so, any of you guys have any leads for online ordering of business cards? Any I should avoid?

around where i live, theres alot of mom and pop type print shops. these types of places always do more to please thier customers from my expierience. id look for a small print shop in your area, build a relationship, and before ya know it you will be on a first name basis with them. when you need to re-order, it'll be a simple "hey its me again, i need another order of business cards."

i realize you are looking for an online source, just my 2cents

I used a local printer till he retired. Folks that took over raised prices way up and weren't very timely. So I switched over to online. Tried vistaprint.com They included 250 free cards. Not bad quality. Now I use printsavage.com Great quality and service. By jingo. I sound like a commercial. Google. There enough choices to make your head hurt. Ciao.

I use a local print shop. He does business with me so it makes sense. I have also had printing done at the local college. Both places usually have printing done within 2 days. Service is good an I like to spend local when I can.

Support your local printer, keep the money local. Prints really been hit hard currently, supporting some of the on-line larger tv advertising ones is as bad if not worse than buying Chinese tooling.

Cheap

We used to use them but they don't have the free templates like everyone else. They will do art work for you at an additional charge. They are the wholesaler behind the "$5000 business cards for $99" signs in Tampa.

I recommend only doing the UV on 1 side so you can use a regular ink pen on the back to quote someone out, leave the waitress your cell number, draw pictures, etc.

I just print my own. I picked up a business card program from Office Max and some perforated business card stock. They look about as good as what I used to get from the printer. If I want to change something, I just do it. I also only print 20 or 30 at a time, so if I do make a change, I don't have several hundred or more old cards to throw out which equals an unnecessary waste of money to me.

Chris

I've made a lot business cards (on the side) over the years. It's tough to get what you want because the designer often speaks a different language than the business owner. So I do business cards with guys I know real well, we can think out loud when working it up.

Where we used to run into trouble was with print shops. Mom & Pop wandered off to Florida and left me with the local digital press guys who no longer have a person answering their phone. We've since figured it out and I get wholesale rates.

It's hard to find someone to do nice graphic work for simple pieces like cards or flyers. When you find a good guy, use him a lot. Printers are like powder coaters. Go local.

thanks for taking the time to respond, guys.

to the guys suggesting I buy local- I'll re-investigate that option, but the last time I did (6 or 8 years ago), most of the 'mom-n-pop' places were so far out of line on pricing that it was unworkable. I'm more than willing to pay an inflated price to support a small local business- even upwards of 25 or 30 percent more, but the last time I got quotes locally, the pricing was in most cases double and in some cases triple what I've been seeing from places like Staples/Officemax......

Might be 2x 3x the quality you get from staples as well.
Or not.. but..
Often - somewhere there is a very-high-end option at 3x the cost of the cheapest option.
It has often been, for me, a great choice.ymmmv.

For bizcards, you want the best, that most represent your business. This has the 0-100 scale and you decide it.

Just for reference, I charge $50 for 1000 business cards and I still make money on the deal. These are four color, UV coated, plain back (takes a pen well).

I am not offering my services, just letting you know what my going rate is. Most folks charge in or around $75-$100 for the same.

We design our own cards and they're usually pretty fancy. We print through uvcards.com as no one can touch their pricing on spot UV. We've also printed brochures through them IIRC and they turned out great - again the local commercial printers couldn't touch them. They specialize in specific sizes and gang run the print jobs.

This thread is interesting in the fact that I have NEVER had a business card despite being in business for myself since 1996, but it has been something I feel is becoming necessary moving forward to aid in our expansion.

I have checked out a lot of the links here and even Goggled for local print shops in the central Mass area. None of the quickie on line shops had anything I felt all that eye catching and going cheap or low cost is not my sole concern.

I want something that will make the recipient view the card and draw their attention into what they see rather than what is written on it. I see cards with gears, and tubes, and diamond plate, and calipers or riveted sheets of iron. That's forgetful as soon as it goes into the pocket. Something that gets the recipient to view the card and be intrigued by the image upon it (business related of course) will have more of a lasting effect on their memory than just the written words.

None of the prefab card shops online have anything striking or even remotely thought provoking in my opinion. Sure the price is cheap, but I'd rather have my card being talked about with others where the question will be asked, whose card is that, instead of tossed in a drawer or round filed.

As is the case with any sales related concern.....you MUST draw attention to yourself, otherwise you risk becoming obscure.

Just my $.02.....
Russ

I have had good luck with Vistaprint.
If you dig through the stock designs long enough, and upgrade the finish and card stock you can end up with a very good product.
It is also nice to be able to get other items like stickers (which I use on parts packaging) and magnets in one order...

-Scott

This thread is interesting in the fact that I have NEVER had a business card despite being in business for myself since 1996, but it has been something I feel is becoming necessary moving forward to aid in our expansion.

I have checked out a lot of the links here and even Goggled for local print shops in the central Mass area. None of the quickie on line shops had anything I felt all that eye catching and going cheap or low cost is not my sole concern.

I want something that will make the recipient view the card and draw their attention into what they see rather than what is written on it. I see cards with gears, and tubes, and diamond plate, and calipers or riveted sheets of iron. That's forgetful as soon as it goes into the pocket. Something that gets the recipient to view the card and be intrigued by the image upon it (business related of course) will have more of a lasting effect on their memory than just the written words.

None of the prefab card shops online have anything striking or even remotely thought provoking in my opinion. Sure the price is cheap, but I'd rather have my card being talked about with others where the question will be asked, whose card is that, instead of tossed in a drawer or round filed.

As is the case with any sales related concern.....you MUST draw attention to yourself, otherwise you risk becoming obscure.

Just my $.02.....
Russ

One of the reasons I went with vistaprint is you can upload your own images. I designed my own business cards with my company logo and got it exactly how I wanted it. A bonus is now my images are in their system so it is easy to order labels, mugs, pens, etc.

Back