What's new
What's new

Need help finding a centerless grinding shop for small parts

DPM

Aluminum
I have 2 little straight pins that need to get centerless ground down to size on the OD.
One is .040 +/- .0002 and the other is .0625 +/- .0002
Both parts are made from 303 SS and OAL = .525
We run them a little oversize on our Swiss to somewhere around .004/.005 oversize on the OD.
Qty = 750

Some say grind the bar down to size and run it, but we can't run bar that small in our machines.
Some say you should be able to hold that tolerance on a Swiss, but it just doesn't happen on these jobs.

I'm in so California and can't find a grinder who can confidently quote or do the job.

Can anyone provide info on shops that specialize or can easily do this type of work. Someone that you have first hand experience with is ideal.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

First thing you need to list your city. I used to live in Riverside, the two grinding shops I used there are now out of business, no help from me, sorry. For some reason grinding shops aren't good at advertising, and a business people don't frequently use needs to be.

I'm in Pomona, but location isn't critical. I'll go out of state if I have to. Just need a shop that can do good work.

I have scrapped a very nice low hour Cincinnatti Filmatic #2 last week ,with hydraulic wheel and regulating wheel form dressing,and lots of accessories including a long bar fixture .......simply no work for it,no resale above scrap ......great shame.

I have 2 little straight pins that need to get centerless ground down to size on the OD.
One is .040 +/- .0002 and the other is .0625 +/- .0002
Both parts are made from 303 SS and OAL = .525
We run them a little oversize on our Swiss to somewhere around .004/.005 oversize on the OD.
Qty = 750

Some say grind the bar down to size and run it, but we can't run bar that small in our machines.
Some say you should be able to hold that tolerance on a Swiss, but it just doesn't happen on these jobs.

I'm in so California and can't find a grinder who can confidently quote or do the job.

Can anyone provide info on shops that specialize or can easily do this type of work. Someone that you have first hand experience with is ideal.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What Swiss can't run 1/16" stock? What is the smallest you can run? What type material? A Swiss between 12mm-20mm should be able to hold +/-.0002 if you have ground stock, good revolving bushing bearings, and a guide bushing in nice shape. It is starting to appear most grind shops don't do work as small as yours.
It might be time to get an indicating micrometer, refurbish your machine and run them yourself. I worked in plenty a Swiss shop where we ran jobs with those O.D. tolerances on them and not in brass either. We did 100% all the parts for diameter and it was a one on one job, as in the operator only ran that machine.

On my centreless ,the operator used thumb and finger to grind small stuff....tips of the fingers were always pink in contrast to the greasy black of the rest of the hand.....Unless the part is one diameter for thru feed,you need to make a dedicated picker /placer....not easy in a part that has no centres to grip.

It lists their minimum diameter as .050, that might be the OP's problem finding a grinder, his parts are smaller than that.

Yes you'd want a small centerless like a Royal.
Parts a bit small for a Cinci even the smallest machines.
DedTru and Tru-Tech work but not very fast machines/fixtures. Expensive fixtures and have a niche.
At one time you could not throw a dead cat down a industrial street in SE Michigan without hitting a shop that could do this work.
Now it is very rare indeed.
OP says 750 pieces but not total estimated yearly buy level. I would include that with any RFQ.
750 a day, week, month or year will attack different attention as grind cycle times here are going to be measured in seconds.
Bob

Deltronic will quote your parts. I've had them quote centerless grinding for me in the past.

All Diameter Grinding (Orange) screwed me on a job, so I wouldn't use them again.

Deltronic will quote your parts. I've had them quote centerless grinding for me in the past.

All Diameter Grinding (Orange) screwed me on a job, so I wouldn't use them again.

I didn't know Deltronic also did job shop work. I used to work in the OC decades ago, All Diameter rings a bell, I think they have been around a while.
I think they ground clear plastic bars for us that we ran lots of.

Have tried All Diameter and had mixed results. Had Deltronic quote it a while back. Price was ridiculous. Basically priced so they wouldn't get the job.

Just looked at Boston Centerless website, they supply pre-ground bars down to .040" diameter. At one time I had a cam swiss, but easier to buy lengths of bars and part off to length in bar fed CNC lathe rather than trying to meet diameter tolerances in the swiss.

That's how we used to do it when we had our cam machines. We'd put on a small diameter feed tube and let the machine go. Just had to watch out for collet/bushing marks.

Our CNC Swiss bar feeder channels are too big for stock under 3/32 and can't justify costs to purchase channels, pusher, and spindle liner for the job otherwise that would be the way to go.

Funny thing is there are shops that will grind a bar down to .040 but they just won't do parts.

Back