What's new
What's new

Need to retire.

kid5084

Aluminum
I have been in the machining trade for 40+ years now and have been in mid-management and above. I relocated from a competitive area of aerospace and telecom etc to a smaller venue 10 years ago. No hiring for firing, no buyers, engineers or the like. Somewhat like a mini-retirement. Can't deal with the lack of management systems or controls. Lack of benefits or pay. I need 2 weeks vacation a year. Get one in July only. 8-10 holidays a year. I am going to retire at 64 because of that. And geopolitical problems. A congress and President wanting to chop Social Security. (Notice I did not capitalize congress) I have a life time of skill and experience I would love to share but it seems like here for my co-workers it is just a job and no management policies are in place after 40+ years in business. No one is really held accountable. We are all just supposed to get along...? Just venting. Those who are not able to do 4-6 years of college should consider Machining. It is a worthy and respectable occupation. If you get the right training and work for the right company....

Hey, there were two things that struck me about your post. First I noticed that you have 35 likes both given and received; you are "Even-Steven"! Next, you wrote your post at 7:09 PM and (not sure why I even looked at my time) I notice it's 7:09 AM here (almost expect to hear Rod Serling's voice).

I hear your frustrations and wish you a well retirement. If you think you have an energy left and want to do something yet, maybe check out a community college that might need your skills. You don't owe anyone anything but there would be some youngsters out there who would really appreciate your teachings and advice.

In any case, have a happy retirement!
The Dude

PS - you're not quite even anymore!

it seems like here for my co-workers it is just a job and no management policies are in place after 40+ years in business. No one is really held accountable. We are all just supposed to get along...?

This is a big part of why I pursued ownership.
There was no reason for me to take pride in my work anymore. Nobody noticed. Nobody cared.
And, it was the same story everywhere. A bunch of recluse people doing nothing more than putting in their time.

At a certain point in every one's life, there comes a time to just say NUTS, and retire. I reached that point two years ago, and I haven't regretted it one bit. Your retirement income is less than when you were working, but your expenses are also usually less.

Boredom? Nope - I have lots of odds & ends projects I work with, and now days, a cold crummy day just means that I can either retreat to my shop, or relax with a puppy and a good book.

Retirement is wonderful!

many people go middle age crazy. they hate their job, hate their life, pissed at the world.
try being unemployed at over 50 trying to find a good job. one harder to get the job but whats even harder is deciding what type of job you really want ?? sometimes people totally change careers in mid life. they works 30 to 40 years and never really liked their job.
many over 62 retire collect SS but then go looking for a job as they are bored. i have even seen machinist drive a school bus, work in a hardware store, plow snow, drive a truck making deliveries. basically they are just looking for something to do
what i find just cause you are older does not mean at any job you get treated with respect. sometimes to be appreciated you have to leave and if you come back they often treat you better as the replacement worker often caused many problems.
and whenever i got a different job it often took years for others to appreciate my work and give respect. often starting job i often was treated poorly. always have to prove yourself i guess

I have been in the machining trade for 40+ years now and have been in mid-management and above. I relocated from a competitive area of aerospace and telecom etc to a smaller venue 10 years ago. No hiring for firing, no buyers, engineers or the like. Somewhat like a mini-retirement. Can't deal with the lack of management systems or controls. Lack of benefits or pay. I need 2 weeks vacation a year. Get one in July only. 8-10 holidays a year. I am going to retire at 64 because of that. And geopolitical problems. A congress and President wanting to chop Social Security. (Notice I did not capitalize congress) I have a life time of skill and experience I would love to share but it seems like here for my co-workers it is just a job and no management policies are in place after 40+ years in business. No one is really held accountable. We are all just supposed to get along...? Just venting. Those who are not able to do 4-6 years of college should consider Machining. It is a worthy and respectable occupation. If you get the right training and work for the right company....

President Trump has said many times no cuts to social security, the country made a deal and will stand behind it. Where did you hear that he was going to make cuts?

SS never meant to be more than 40% of a retirees income. majority should be from 401K savings.
they might change full retirement age but SS will still be there. even if SS changed 5 or 10% it should not be a big deal as thats not meant to be primary income. the 40% is only to prevent starvation of foolish people who save nothing. thats why it was setup originally for the young people currently working to support the older people who retired with nothing saved.
biggest myth is SS running out of money. every month money comes in from workers and every month it goes back out to retirees. basically it is a law enforced charity. workers give to the old whether they want to or not

There was no reason for me to take pride in my work anymore. Nobody noticed. Nobody cared.
And, it was the same story everywhere. A bunch of recluse people doing nothing more than putting in their time.

#1 on my list of being repulsed working for the man was work place politics, nepotism, plagiarism, and a few other things.

basically it is a law enforced charity. workers give to the old whether they want to or not

i haven't collected yet (i could) but when i do i won't consider it charity after not only paying in all my life but paying matching ss for 20+ employees for 40 years

many people go middle age crazy. they hate their job, hate their life, pissed at the world.
try being unemployed at over 50 trying to find a good job. one harder to get the job but whats even harder is deciding what type of job you really want ?? sometimes people totally change careers in mid life. they works 30 to 40 years and never really liked their job.
many over 62 retire collect SS but then go looking for a job as they are bored. i have even seen machinist drive a school bus, work in a hardware store, plow snow, drive a truck making deliveries. basically they are just looking for something to do
what i find just cause you are older does not mean at any job you get treated with respect. sometimes to be appreciated you have to leave and if you come back they often treat you better as the replacement worker often caused many problems.
and whenever i got a different job it often took years for others to appreciate my work and give respect. often starting job i often was treated poorly. always have to prove yourself i guess

Selling out and moving to the beach.

President Trump has said many times no cuts to social security, the country made a deal and will stand behind it. Where did you hear that he was going to make cuts?
Congress..... Seems they want to cut Medi-care and Social Security....
They are going to save it after the Deficit Reduction act of 1984 ( Reagans Idea ) they took 4.3 Trillion of surplus and have been since. Now they want to wave the flag in our face and claim they are saving SS.

It's not that far off for me, but I like my job and the thought retiring is a bit scary. Not because of money either. I'll still be working any way some where.

I can't see myself being a Walmart greeter just to do something.

Dave

...and whenever i got a different job it often took years for others to appreciate my work and give respect. often starting job i often was treated poorly. always have to prove yourself i guess

Tom, judging from the pictures of the stuff you work on, you have nothing to prove to anybody.:bowdown:

Yep but it took the management screwing us out of a 15+% annual bonus to really convince me to do it my self. All told its lovely to wake up and realise you more or less don't have to give a shit about all the small petty shit any more of being a employee. I wake up and its no longer this dread of what stupid bull shit im going to encounter today. Just a case of wake up and go fix the problems do the work make the money.

Today is a great day here, new compressor day, finally getting a brand spanking new hydro-vane, been my best year yet, doing ever more direct to customer work with out the middle men and next years already looking like there is some seriously meaty profitable work in the pipe line too. Poor little hypertherm 30xp aint going to be getting a breather every 2' of cut whilst the wind generator catches up any more either!

FYI its hard getting your head around being self employed, i have 0 support from my family who all see it simply as destined to fail, but to me its been the polar opposite, being a employee is not far removed from slavery, retiring or going self employed really changes some kinda weird basic feelings you have about life.

Its becoming ever more common for people over here to retire have a year or 2 off then go get some part time work in a super market or similar in a nice easy structured environment both for the stimulation + a bit of extra income, but were there’s not a rigid 9-5 type employment contract, but a fit the hours around you type deal. It works well for the right jobs.

That's got to be the saddest, most depressing post I've ever read in PM.

I sincerely hope you're wrong but when I read some of the threads and posts you might just be right.

Once upon a time US industry was envied by all. Now too many US companies and shops seem to be competing with low wage, poor countries.

Hi-tech European countries, even with high wages, are competing with "the competition" and doing more than OK.

Automotive Industry in China: Imports and Exports - Statistics & Facts | Statista

Import / Export a Car to China

While you may be frustrated with and sick of the place you now work, you need to plan your retirement with as much care as you would plan how to make a tricky die. First, talk to a financial planner about retirement. When your life expectancy is figured in to the equation, another year of two of working may make a huge difference in your future social security receipts. Then there is the cost of health insurance before you can go on Medicare, and the age for Part D if you take any drugs. There are many other things you need to consider before you retire.

While you may be frustrated with and sick of the place you now work, you need to plan your retirement with as much care as you would plan how to make a tricky die. First, talk to a financial planner about retirement. When your life expectancy is figured in to the equation, another year of two of working may make a huge difference in your future social security receipts. Then there is the cost of health insurance before you can go on Medicare, and the age for Part D if you take any drugs. There are many other things you need to consider before you retire.

The more I read some posts the less I understand why so many of you seem to insist on clinging to a "system" as good as no other countries have.

Of course it's wise to plan retirement but not for the reasons you give.

With retirement in most European countries the main issue is dealing with how to use the extra time not going to work gives you.

1. Financial pension assuming nothing saved. There is a basic minimum and a livable sum.
2. Savings to supplement basic pension. This is used for sweetening retirement.
3. Health care. No problem as this is a tax finance right to all.
4. If unable to take care of yourself retirement homes are available for all. They might cost most of your basic pension but not more so you'll have a room, meals every day plus be taken care of by qualified staff.

Social and Health-Care Policy for the Elderly in Denmark | Doctor Dementia and the Dementia Adventure

Things are by no means perfect but growing old and retiring isn't something to be worried about and much less feared here.

Sounds like you are ready....I read your post a few times. You listed many reasons why your job sucks. Personally.....when I am 64 I hope to be in decent heath with the ability to retire....I will be eagerly looking forward to it. You do not sound like you are looking forward to it......it just sounds like your job sucks and you know it sucks. I understand at 64 getting a different job might be near impossible......however.....that sounds like what you would really want. As to the social security and political reasons you give....... I call bullshit.......doing something because a politician or political party is talking about doing this or that is the absolute worst (possibly stupidest) reason to do anything. Those assholes cant get shit done. When they do.....I guarantee you will be grandfathered in.

If you actually want to retire....cool....you have earned.....but dont blame it on politics. Thats similar to my 96 year old Grandma complaining for the last 30 years that some politician is gonna take away her social security.....for 30 years I have told her no, they arent. IF they change it....those affected will not be of current retirement age.

Back