What's new
What's new

OT, sort of, can anyone recommend really good chair?

cyanidekid

Titanium
I haven't ever actually purchased a chair, but it may be time, as I haven't found a decent one in the trash for a while.

It would be for sitting while welding, working at the computer, and, well.. wasting WAY too much time on Practical Machinist!

the current style of office chair tends to have the mesh fabric upholstery, and that seems particularly unsuited to a welding application.

Any thoughts?

Maybe an adjustable mechanics stool for welding, and a proper office chair for PM time? The stools tend to have vinyl or other plastic seating, maybe the hard, contoured seat style will hold up best for welding. Height adjustment adds convenience and a little back saving.

Milland has it right -- you want two chairs.

For computer work, I use one of those mesh deals (Aeron) after trying, buying, and not liking a few others. There are half a dozen chairs with similar quality and range of adjustments. The Aeron chair comes in 3 sizes -- and half a dozen adjustments. At the computer you want a well supported back, elbows in the right place, eyes near mid screen level, mouse/pen/trackball where you're not getting carpal tunnel, etc.

Depending on what "New York" means in terms of location you might find a used office furniture places with a dozen brands of $700-$1500 office chairs and pick one up for a third to half of new price.

Welding -- you want a steady base from which you can periodically contort you body for different torch (stinger, etc.) angles. I'd think a higher work surface and an adjustable stool might be better. I'd want one with movable armrests (in and out of the way, up and down) just to have that support available when you need it. All depends on whether we're talking tiny TIG welding, MIGn' a boat hull etc.

On edit: I suppose you could replace the plastic mesh with a couple square yards of stainless screen and use it for both . . . show us the pictures. Maybe Stephen Hawking's wheel chair for TIG welding??

I haven't ever actually purchased a chair, but it may be time, as I haven't found a decent one in the trash for a while.

It would be for sitting while welding, working at the computer, and, well.. wasting WAY too much time on Practical Machinist!

the current style of office chair tends to have the mesh fabric upholstery, and that seems particularly unsuited to a welding application.

Any thoughts?

How much time would you spend sitting on it for welding and how much while on the computer?
Why not two? Both height adjustable and wheels but one without a back rest (welding) and one with.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arb...l7jaAhXKZFAKHQqZBBEQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=714

Maybe an adjustable mechanics stool for welding, and a proper office chair for PM time? The stools tend to have vinyl or other plastic seating, maybe the hard, contoured seat style will hold up best for welding. Height adjustment adds convenience and a little back saving.

Got it in one.

Congenital bad back, + damage, + age dictates a Torin "Big Red" gas-strut stool for hands-dirty work, plus an uber-costly forged-frame, geared-backangle wool-upholstered German made one still good since 1984 at the keyboard.

That one was picked after spending 6 or more hours a day in one at a high-end Conference Centre on an exepsnive training course. I don't usually spend that much time in ANY chair in "Real World", but discovering one good for long hours, not just short-term, led me to buy one just like theirs. Around $700, 1984, IIRC, but all it has needed since is new casters, twice.

More recent ideas here, ranked, and within price ranges:

https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-ergonomic-office-chairs/

WHATEVER you do.. go sit in it first. Humans are not all alike. Also go for comfort and function, not looks or style. Some weird-looking ones work magically well. Others are horrible.

Same again with "traditional" designs.

Humanscale Freedom chair - be sitting on something when you get the price - you won't want it in the weld area.
I have 2 of them (originally one at work one at home, now one at home one in shop) - both more than 15 years old, and I spend several hours of basically every day sitting in one or the other.

I find them much more comfortable than the famous aeron.

edit: mine are quite old (>15 years) and so they very well may have changed - see Milland's post.

Humanscale Freedom chair - be sitting on something when you get the price - you won't want it in the weld area.
I have 2 of them (originally one at work one at home, now one at home one in shop) - both more than 15 years old, and I spend several hours of basically every day sitting in one or the other.

I find them much more comfortable than the famous aeron.

More recent comments on Amazon have not been kind to this chair: https://www.amazon.com/Humanscale-F...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

thanks everyone, yes probably right, two chairs is smarter, but with the size of my shop I don't have a separate office I'd want to put a nice proper office chair in.. but I will consider it, maybe I'll have to get rid of a machine to make room for another chair!

as to location, I'm in Brooklyn, NY, and REALLY going OT, how do I get my "header" to say that, the stupid software doesn't seem to allow anything but UNITED STATES and New York on those lines of the profile???

as to location, I'm in Brooklyn, NY, and REALLY going OT, how do I get my "header" to say that, the stupid software doesn't seem to allow anything but UNITED STATES and New York on those lines of the profile???

Software is not stupid ENOUGH is the root cause. Data is stored in more than one place, not retrieved the same all the time. Maybe someday that will get corrected at the server. Or not.

I must have made about six runs at trying to smack sense into it, yet cannot even get two login ID's off the same fixed-IP to agree.

Junkyard, find a car seat, weld some legs on the bottom.

Get a bench seat from a van for the living room, they come
with seat belts.....:skep:

Them's got ventilation holes so when your welding, you don't get a gas build up
condition....

nice one, so to avoid hot air buildup while posting, sit in an Aeron type chair, and on a milk crate to avoid trapped gases while welding? hmm, wonder if that works?

my guess is not many around here use that advise! (or maybe it doesn't really work...)

now, if it does, how do you avoid waffle butt while welding?

I don't weld Nekid .....:D

Bib overalls are thick enough to span the holes.

Seriously, I snagged a couple of round adjustable
"all steel" shop stools, I keep around for welding.

Never seen them since, no names.

You lift them to adjust upward, when all the way up, snap them
sharply upwards, and then you can lower it all the way down.

Once at the bottom, a sharp tap on the seat to "set" the ratchet
mechanism, slide it up, and stop at any place.

Work very nice, and no hydraulics.

Seriously, I snagged a couple of round adjustable
"all steel" shop stools, I keep around for welding.

Never seen them since, no names.
That pre-gas-strut-fugub adjuster smacks of Toledo Metal or "Fort Steuben", the industrial steel workbench and cabinet makers, nearby Ohio, back in the day.

W.W. Grainger carried them, too. We had whole rows of 'em, one factory, foot rail rings on the taller ones, backrests optional. Some models also served draftsmen's needs.

I wouldn't use it for welding, but for at desk/computer there is only one answer: Herman Miller Aeron. Get ALL the features, you'll love it, best desk chair ever. Pricey but you can usually pick up one used for $400 or so.....and that's dollaretes

Back