What's new
What's new

Need Source for Parts Containers

DPM

Aluminum
I'm a shop owner and am having a heck of a time finding good sturdy containers for holding parts as they come off the machine. We run Swiss for the most part and parts pile up quickly. I'm looking for suggestions on container Mfr's or anything that you might use that works in the shop. I'm looking for something similar to what's shown in the pictures. Must be strong, fairly impact resistant, and able to nest when empty.

The square one in the picture is about 10"x10"x4" and the other one is 11"x8"x4.5". Roughly about 1.7/1.4 gallons by volume but I could handle a little variance on that.
I got the square ones at auction and they don't have any Mfr info and the other ones were made by Reynolds but have been discontinued.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Containers.jpg

Just go to uline.com and look around. I know they have a huge warehouse in Ontario Ca. where I used to will call items.

I like these from McMaster-Carr, the polypropylene ones:

McMaster-Carr

I have had occasion to grossly overload them now and then, and none have cracked or failed. They don't really nest though, since the walls are nearly vertical.

Regards.

Mike

Last edited:
whatever you buy, I would suggest you permanently mark them with your companies name. Platers love to steal them and give you your parts back in used beer cases..

whatever you buy, I would suggest you permanently mark them with your companies name. Platers love to steal them and give you your parts back in used beer cases..

That's on you Larry. If you ever used Danco in Ontario, Ca those beer cases were probably the ones I dropped my parts off in. The 20 pack bottled Bud Lite boxes were great for holding some of the small pulleys I made that got hard anodize. I actually told my friends to save their beer bottle boxes for me. When I picked them up they were packed in a nice thick walled cardboard box I could reuse.

That's on you Larry. If you ever used Danco in Ontario, Ca those beer cases were probably the ones I dropped my parts off in. The 20 pack bottled Bud Lite boxes were great for holding some of the small pulleys I made that got hard anodize. I actually told my friends to save their beer bottle boxes for me. When I picked them up they were packed in a nice thick walled cardboard box I could reuse.

They are special.....
Beer Carton Waste

2614866253cb9f9a4421695345b41638.jpg

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I appreciate the suggestions. Based on all the responses I did a lot of researching and calling today only to find that the size I'm looking for is not an off the shelf item. Most start off considerably larger than what I'm looking for. So I got creative and found these on Amazon.
Winco.jpg -
About 1.6 gallon volume.
It's a 50/50 shot for a relatively small price.
Thanks again for all the input especially the Bud Lite box idea. Next time I'm down at Danco I'll know where they came from.

For Small parts-

We use plastic coffee containers, come with lids and labels stick to'em. They do not stack but that's tough to do when they are full anyway.

The trays Ox showed are great...kinda. We can put too much weight in them and the guys keep adding more till overflowing...then can;t budge them.

I have Steel Stacking containers that are left near the saw...parts get cut, fall into steel container...another steel container on a dolly on floor next the parts get stacked on that and over to a machine.

Now for small parts after machining...Alum Cookie trays. I thing 12 x 20" with a 1" lip around. They nest well and great to lay parts out on. Can't put too much weight on them as they are smallish

Now for small parts after machining...Alum Cookie trays. I thing 12 x 20" with a 1" lip around. They nest well and great to lay parts out on. Can't put too much weight on them as they are smallish

I use plastic fast food trays for that, super handy and non-scratch, great for tools during setup and repairs and for shallow drip trays. Quite rugged. Ebay has lots of choices.

Edit - And Rubbermaid bus pans are nice also.
If you have a restaurant supply house nearby, check them out for other handy goods.

I use plastic fast food trays for that, super handy and non-scratch, great for tools during setup and repairs and for shallow drip trays. Quite rugged..

How many times doo you have to go thru the drive in ?....:D

Back