What's new
What's new

New Finishing Supplier Requesting to Know End User Information

runninwideopen

Aluminum
Hello,

I'm trying out a new finishing supplier due to quality issues with my usual supplier, but the new supplier is requesting to know the End User and project name. I'm not accustomed to giving out this information. These are aerospace parts.

Is this normal, and my usual supplier just doesn't do it, or is this not normal?

I've never come across this, but it's been a while since I've done such work on a large scale.

Could they be covering themselves in case they think any of the parts would fall under USA weapons control legislation (name is something like DARFERS? Can't remember) or firearms work?

Hello,

I'm trying out a new finishing supplier due to quality issues with my usual supplier, but the new supplier is requesting to know the End User and project name. I'm not accustomed to giving out this information. These are aerospace parts.

Is this normal, and my usual supplier just doesn't do it, or is this not normal?

A lot of aerospace Customers have their own ASL for finishing processes. They may be making sure that they are on that list. I've heard of cases where the machining source used a supplier that had an expired listing on the end user's ASL and the parts got rejected at source inspection because if it. The plater (electroless nickel) did their part, but it created a mess because the plater had to jump through hoops to host a rushed survey and payment was delayed (even though it shouldn't have been).

There are also some aerospace Customers that require enhanced documentation beyond a C of C and that need is in the fine print rather than in the drawing notes.

I'd suggest the direct route is the best - give them a call and ask them.

I wouldn't worry much about it if they are in a totally separate field than you, because they can't steal the work they don't do anyway. I would assume they just want to know the end use to check that A) they are doing things correctly B) they will not be doing something wrong and be held liable for it later on. Is the new supplier a reputable business in the area? I would just tell them you have never been asked for it before, and are curious why they need to know. I am curious what they say about it.

My aerospace customer does not care where I get material as long as I provide certs.

That's as far as my "independent" decision-making reaches. All other suppliers or subcontractors have to be on a list that I submit as part of my 2 year audits.

I don't provide the finishing, since I can't provide the certs. I just leave it to the customer to deal with that part.

So maybe the finisher was decertified at some point, who knows. But the person providing the parts usually does not have the discretion to change suppliers or vendors without prior approval, so I'd advise treading lightly...

Hello,

Well you did say your usual supplier has quality issues...maybe they should be asking too.

Me...I don't care what people ask. However my answer is often based on why they are asking.
Also if I feel a person takes the initiative in being a little too forward asking certain questions, that gives me a sence of comfort asking them why they feel a need to know.

In any case its best to ask and clear the air then surmise.

Thanks for the input everyone. You're all pretty much on track. It's compliance and ASL related. We're related. My old supplier probably should have been doing the same thing.

Back