Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yoke View Post
    3x pay doesn't make sense to me. You were either working way to cheap or the boss man at the new place might have you deliver packages on your way home.
    Ya gotta stop focusing on this guys. Example: $20/hr (38,400/yr) is a pretty typical pay range at a small shop. $115k/yr is a pretty typical pay range for management at a big place in a city. That's 3x. Let it go.

Now, speaking as a "mom&pop" small shop type owner, I know it hurts bad to have a key person leave. A few months ago we had a fire come through our town and we ended up being evacuated for 3 months. My main guy's home burned and his family coldn't stomach moving back in to town, so he's gone in the blink of an eye. No time to plan, I just had to deal with it and move on the best I could. I ended up hiring the first (and only) candidate, and in his first month of being here, the shop has put out $15k MORE than any other month with the old guy, and I'm not even done training him yet.

I guess my point is, is that your current employer will be fine once they find another person, if they continue down the path you set them on. If they sink the ship because they're lazy or whatever, fuck'em. You can't save everybody.

Also, don't lie. The truth may be hard to hear at times, but it's the only way we can learn.

2. Likes TDegenhart, Greg White, SND, DrHook, eaglemike and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Ya gotta stop focusing on this guys. Example: $20/hr (38,400/yr) is a pretty typical pay range at a small shop. $115k/yr is a pretty typical pay range for management at a big place in a city. That's 3x. Let it go.

Now, speaking as a "mom&pop" small shop type owner, I know it hurts bad to have a key person leave. A few months ago we had a fire come through our town and we ended up being evacuated for 3 months. My main guy's home burned and his family coldn't stomach moving back in to town, so he's gone in the blink of an eye. No time to plan, I just had to deal with it and move on the best I could. I ended up hiring the first (and only) candidate, and in his first month of being here, the shop has put out $15k MORE than any other month with the old guy, and I'm not even done training him yet.

I guess my point is, is that your current employer will be fine once they find another person, if they continue down the path you set them on. If they sink the ship because they're lazy or whatever, fuck'em. You can't save everybody.

Also, don't lie. The truth may be hard to hear at times, but it's the only way we can learn.
    Yes, but one normally doesn't go from making $20/hr running a machine (an whatever all the entails) to management at a big company, especially since big companies normally want college degrees and six sigma and and and and...

Give them 2 weeks notice AFTER YOU HAVE THE NEW JOB and don't worry about it. I personally wouldn't mention money. Last 2 jobs I left it had nothing to do with money (well, first one a little bit, but I did not even give them a chance to make an offer, I just said "no, it's time for me to move on"). IME if they counteroffer it's just until they can replace you, than you are out on your butt!

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as leaving the farm when you turn 17,and the old man sells up cause there's no more free labour...........Didnt stop you leaving to see the world or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr.OP, what is your status? Have you made a plan yet?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he is working at mom and pop and has enough experience to be a lead programmer or supervisor at a corporation, now has full benefits, plus profit sharing, he could easily make almost 3x if that is how he is looking at it.

Follow the advice given by most here. Start slowly getting any of your unused tools brought home, personal items, THEN give two weeks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Firstly, Thank you for all the replies.

Second, I had a very lengthily reply written out and vbulliton dropped the ball and I lost it.

In years past I accrued a lot of points in the federal job world. I discovered a government job that is about damn near the same, "if not a little less in responsibilities required field" as what I am doing now.

The wheels of bureaucracy are slow but I have been moved forward in the hiring process.

I have come to terms with the fact that the business will just have to make a sharp, painful and hopefully temporary turn back previous to my involvement. I wear to many hats to just train up a subordinate.

I would like to indulge on sentence 3 But I have an early morning and don't need to be jumping on my soap box before bedtime.

Thanks for reading.