What's new
What's new

New machine workshop building

jp7rgv

Plastic
Hi,
New member and first thread.
I am looking to buy a used industrial building for expanding my job.
The building is great but one thing I am consider is :
The building has a basement and on top of it I will have to place the machines such as lathes, mills and a couple of cnc's.
The previous use was industrial again but I don't know what machinery they used.
Its reinforced, but what do you think?
Its possible to operate the machines without problems?

Thank you,
John

Thanks for reply Tom.
I have asked a structrural engineer and told me thats fine, but haas says on its site to place cnc's on ground.
Has anyone seen a "multistorey" machineshop bedore?
Or like in my case a machineshop with basement?

Yes. Multi floor industrial buildings are not that common here, but they are definitely around. As long as the floor is rated appropriately and the engineer has "blessed" the situation, it should be just fine.

The only concern might be if you plan on buying a very large machine that might require a foundation.

I am planing for a haas vf4, something large than that i Don't plan for near future.

The machine setting there is a none issue.
GETTING it there is the issue!

6 tonne machine
10 tonne forktruck

16 tonne - most of which is all setting on two points (front tyres).

Scares me!

Skate that Schidt into place with smaller trucks!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The machine setting there is a none issue.
GETTING it there is the issue!

6 tonne machine
10 tonne forktruck

16 tonne - most of which is all setting on two points (front tyres).

Scares me!

Skate that Schidt into place with smaller trucks!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

YUP !

Think "Airfloat".....beeg beeg portable compressor, air bag underneath.

Definitely consult a structural engineer, when we have set steel/ HVAC units at the University of Michigan buildings, we sometimes have to drive Crane / Manlifts over the steam tunnels, so I install temporary shoring in the tunnel and lay road plates on the concrete...
So even if your engineer says no way, there are other ways ?

We had to move a bed mill to, and later from, an area that had a basement underneath. So heed Ox's tale (!) regarding forklift weights.

We ended up making skates out of HDPE (dimestore cutting boards, actually) with hex-drive screws as 'keepers' (cut off on bottom) to keep the mill from sliding off the skates. Placed under machine with pinch bars, then used strap and chain to pull it to solid ground with the little shop forklift. Once it was over terra firma, the big truck could come in and grab it.

This thing was about 8k lbs, so not a huge machine. But the combined load was deemed too much by the structural guys.

If you ever go to IMTS, never, ever think about how many tons of machines are above your head when you're on one of the lower floors.

Hi,
New member and first thread.
I am looking to buy a used industrial building for expanding my job.
The building is great but one thing I am consider is :
The building has a basement and on top of it I will have to place the machines such as lathes, mills and a couple of cnc's.
The previous use was industrial again but I don't know what machinery they used.
Its reinforced, but what do you think?
Its possible to operate the machines without problems?

Thank you,
John

I don't like the idea of basements. Unless you have one ROBUST building, putting a bunch of CNCs on a floor that's not ground level seems to me to be inviting issues. I know some others have done it, but it causes concern for me. Just saying.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of basements. Unless you have one ROBUST building, putting a bunch of CNCs on a floor that's not ground level seems to me to be inviting issues. I some others have done it, but it causes concern for me. Just saying.

So far - I have passed on one like that.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep.

Still, not ready to park 30,000# iron next to each other down the row.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep.

Still, not ready to park 30,000# iron next to each other down the row.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Is that what the OP said his machine weighs ?

and you can't get them that close together unless your a machinery dealer...:D

My answer was in responce to your re to me not wanting to doo it.

I already have them "that close together".
I'd like to try it some other way one day.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

100% agree with the structural engineer recommendation... I worked as a app engineer for a machine tool company for years and we had a customer in Baltimore buy a machine and put it on the second floor of an old building.... Whenever the machine would rapid the whole building would shake. Techs came out and added large steel plates hoping to disperse weight to no avail. Customer ended up begging his land lord to have the space on the 1st floor, sensing his desperation the land lord gave him the space for 5x more $$$ for less space..... The whole situation was the beginning of the customers demise... Second lesson, don't finance a 5ax with no CNC experience.

worked at multilock long time ago. I used to load the shotblast machine with parts fresh off the mill. All the mills and CNC lathes, mills, etc etc etc were upstairs and the shotblast and a few other items downstairs. Memory doesn't recollect if the heavy stiff was directly overhead, but man was I pondering.

You may need to spread the load over several floor joists. Either flat steel plates or some wood beams. Some folks like to raise some of their machines up higher for ease of use.
Bill D.

Back