What's new
What's new

new milling machine price?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Boss just told me to come up with a dollar amount for a cnc mill to replace the Servo Sam 6&7 mills we currently run. Need the numer in the morning to submit into the budget. So...
Anyone purchased a new (roughly) 20"X travel by 30"Y travel 4 axis mill lately? 10hp would be all we need. High speed spindle would be nice but not manditory.
I know there are alot of variables, but I'm in a time bind. Just a rough number.
The web sites for new machine all have "Request a Quote".
Thanks
i_r_

Just go to haas website and there you can find pricing for what you need.
Most other brands will be of similar price when you tool it up how you want (except top brands of course)

$150k should get you a decent machine set up with 4th and a bit of tooling.

Then they'll be like " but we only want to budget $20k "

You're gonna have a hard time finding a machine with 20" in X and 30" in Y ;)

While your question is vague enough to almost be pointless, you should go into your budget meeting with a high number, that way you might get something that's halfway decent after they lowball you. (The fact that boss has done zero research and has waited until the day before the budget submission speaks volumes, BTW :rolleyes5:) $90K might get you a VF5 with a rotary, but it isn't going to get you much in the way of tooling.

I'd start at $150K and hope for the best.

I have a couple of my (2016 and under-used) Brother S500X1s with rotary in the For Sale section of the site but that's smaller travel and fancier than you're probably looking for.

If you really need 30x20 with a rotary, I'd budget $100k new. That won't get you fancy but it'll get you a decent number of decent options. Big step up from a bed mill, though.

I'm shopping for a 40x20 vertical right now, and happened to get comparison quotes for 30x20s from each brand we're considering (Kitamura vs Okuma). The 30x20 machines seem to be consistently about $10k less than a 40x20 machine, so I haven't found a reason to justify the loss of 10" of X travel for a relatively small increase in price. Pretty much everything out there with basic options and a probe will run in the $110k range for a 30x20 and the $120k range for a 40x20 from what I've seen. A rotary adds about $15-20k for the rotary table and drive, based on the quotes we got for a nice Koma setup. These have 30hp, 15k RPM spindles and move fast enough to scare you. I'm not sure if there's anything that you can buy new that's much slower out there these days, at least not anything that would be significantly cheaper.

For reference, a VF2SSYT with a probe, most of the options, a 4th axis drive, 210mm rotary, and 1k psi TSC will run you about $122K delivered. We cancelled that order the moment we realized we could have a 40x20 piece of Japanese iron for virtually the same price, just without the rotary. It'll run circles around the Haas, and comes with the options you pay out the ass for with Haas by default. That VF2 is about 8000 lbs compared to an 18,000lb Genos M560V. They say you shouldn't sell machines on weight alone but...yeah. There's something to be said for sheer mass.

The only reason we were initially going to go with Haas is because we're on the 6th floor of a mill building and our freight elevator can only handle 8k lbs. The next machine is going in with a crane, 120' in the air, because rigging wound up being a LOT less than we thought. Still would've had to pay to have the VF2 partially disassembled to fit it in the door, and that made the two options roughly equal in price after paying a HFO tech $3500 to take the toolchanger off.

Don't forget to budget for tooling if you don't already have CAT40 stuff, which it sounds like you don't. Both mills I'm looking at have dual contact spindles, which can use regular holders as well (cheaper) while sacrificing some rigidity. Our dealers typically do a 10% tooling allowance on financed machines, which is usually enough to get started with the basics.

Back