What's new
What's new

NYC Restaruants adding 10% recovery surcharge to bill

Why though? If someone was such a regular that they remember the price of every last item on the menu within 10% of the pre-covid price, one would think that they'd commiserate with the owner and pay the price to see the business succeed. Nobody needs permission from the mayor to raise their prices 10% :nutter:

We’ve gone out to dinner every couple weeks. I’ve noticed our typical bill has gone up about 20%.

If they added a Covid surcharge instead of raising prices, would the surcharge go away eventually?

As always, charge what the market will bear. If 10% of the customers you have now won't pay 10% more, you're back where you started. If it's more, you're worse off.

We’ve gone out to dinner every couple weeks. I’ve noticed our typical bill has gone up about 20%.

If they added a Covid surcharge instead of raising prices, would the surcharge go away eventually?
I've noticed the same thing on local restaurant pricing. And as a byproduct, NYC gets to charge more sales tax if your bill goes up 10%. Imagine that.

Food prices are already up way more than 10% alone.
Right now I've not really changed any prices on my end, but if and when our sector gets hit I expect 2009-2010 price cuts from many.
Thankfully I'm in way better position than most to get through it again. Until then, stash the cash.

This is right there with "Fuel Surcharge" for trucking!

"I will tell you this price, but when we are all done, I will charge you more in the name of a "surcharge" in stead of just editing the price up front."

I absolutely despise this tactic and work-around those that doo.

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

As always, charge what the market will bear. If 10% of the customers you have now won't pay 10% more, you're back where you started. If it's more, you're worse off.

Maybe not. If the 10 percent unwilling to pay were the cheapskates who always complained, under tipped/never tipped, sent food back and were a general pia. It could be a win/win.....:D

Hodge

Utter stupidity, just raise the menu prices. What I want to know is will restaurants clearly post in bold letters that they are adding 10% or will people who aren't regular patrons get a surprise when they see their bill? As mentioned in the article I am pretty sure it will also cause people to cut down on tipping. I wonder how many consumers aren't annoyed by surcharges and extra fees?

LOL at any business owner seeking permission to up their prices.

I don't care if there is "Mama needs a new car" surcharge. Raise your prices and let your customer decide if they'll do business with you.

Damned politicians thinking they can break our legs then hand us a crutch and say they're helping.

I don't know how anyone lives in these big cities surrounded by such intellect.

Restaurants (and well everyone) love to hide costs anywhere they can. They are already hiding the cost of serving in the tip, why not hide another 10% in the 'surcharge'.

Really pissed me off when the shipping companies did this. Particularly when they didn't take it off when gas prices went back down.

As long as diners are notified of the surcharge BEFORE they are seated and order it is a non-issue.

If it does go into effect, count on everyone doing it. The exceptions might be posted as a selling point? Surcharge-free dining here! It's NYC though, who knows, that might just make the woke citizenry shun the place :crazy::nutter:

Sort-of unrelated but on the topic of restaurants screwing people...

We contracted with a restaurant in DC to cater my daughter's wedding (wedding this past june) - contract pre covid. Rastaurante closed for covid. Contract says the $11,000 deposit we paid will be refundable. This is a chain restaurant (Carmines) that has locations in NYC, Vegas, DC, etc. They were unable to do a thing for us, spent our money, and want to pay us back in gift cards.

Needless to say this has us a little disgusted.

If it does go into effect, count on everyone doing it. The exceptions might be posted as a selling point? Surcharge-free dining here! It's NYC though, who knows, that might just make the woke citizenry shun the place :crazy::nutter:

Locally we have several restaurants that have declared policies of "credit cards only". Massachusetts has a law forbidding retailers from refusing cash but the restaurants have been operating in a gray area under the claim that they are service providers rather than retailers.

We and others simply refuse to do business with them and take our business elsewhere. As I've said in other threads, while credit card issuers are offering attractive incentives to restaurants now to go cashless, what are the odds the same companies that had to be reined in by Congress over their ruthless and predatory practices will remain "nice" once they have a monopoly on payment. I know several people who had to declare bankruptcy over credit card debt. In the early years the card issuers wooed these people into a cozily lined trap.

Locally we have several restaurants that have declared policies of "credit cards only". Massachusetts has a law forbidding retailers from refusing cash but the restaurants have been operating in a gray area under the claim that they are service providers rather than retailers.

We and others simply refuse to do business with them and take our business elsewhere. As I've said in other threads, while credit card issuers are offering attractive incentives to restaurants now to go cashless, what are the odds the same companies that had to be reined in by Congress over their ruthless and predatory practices will remain "nice" once they have a monopoly on payment. I know several people who had to declare bankruptcy over credit card debt. In the early years the card issuers wooed these people into a cozily lined trap.

I think if you stay around 1/2 or more of your credit tied up they keep increasing your limit, thereby increasing the interest you are paying them, if you continue your trend of keeping a high(er) balance.

Working on getting out of debt now, but it's pure ridiculous some of the credit limits I had with my yearly income.... they know damn well what they are doing. :angry:

We contracted with a restaurant in DC to cater my daughter's wedding (wedding this past june) - contract pre covid. Rastaurante closed for covid. Contract says the $11,000 deposit we paid will be refundable. This is a chain restaurant (Carmines) that has locations in NYC, Vegas, DC, etc. They were unable to do a thing for us, spent our money, and want to pay us back in gift cards.

Can't you file a lawsuit? Small claims is even up to $10,000 these days. I don't see how a judge would agree $11,000 worth of gift cards makes things square. I just Googled them they have locations in a half dozen high rent districts. I also find it strange their online menus do not show prices, I am guessing that means they are expensive.

Many TV stations have a troubleshooter on staff who will go to bat for you in exchange for the right to air the story. Locally we have "Solve It Seven" at Channel 7 among others. Threat of publicity often makes outfits more reasonable.

Back