NYC Restaruants adding 10% recovery surcharge to bill - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Big chain of high end service or not - it sounds like a simple case of blood and turnip.

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Many TV stations have a troubleshooter on staff who will go to bat for you in exchange for the right to air the story. Locally we have "Solve It Seven" at Channel 7 among others. Threat of publicity often makes outfits more reasonable.

With a WHOLE lot of "allegedly's" and such...
    Sounds like a target for suites for defamation to me.

------------

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    it sounds like a simple case of blood and turnip.
    The Maldives was going to do that, add a bunch of taxes. Then someone with a brain in the grubbermint said, "Are you guys effing crazy ?!" and they backed off.

btw, if you need an adventure, the maldives is open for biz.

I noticed in Shanghai right after we reopened, prices dropped way down, there was a bunch of sales, everybody was trying to get people back into the stores. Since then, prices have climbed up to where they were or slightly higher than before .... Mostly just back to the way it was before.

If you kill the damn virus, things get back to normal pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Big chain of high end service or not - it sounds like a simple case of blood and turnip.

--------------------

I would think unless they are about to file bankruptcy they could give Pete his $11k back. They obviously know even if he diligently tried to use $11k in gift cards that will be a win for them as many will not get redeemed and their overhead is probably a lot lower serving meals at their location than catering. I wonder what is the grand total of customers they screwed over? Carmine's is owned by Alicart Restaurant Group, that is a pretty decent sized turnip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt that very many restaurants have made a nickle in the last 7 months.
    Some have punted well with online to-go apps (Applebees) but even at that - they likely are just holding their own in the current environment.

Top Tier sit-downs?
    I doubt it....

Now the steakhouse in Toledo?
    Running full tilt boogie!
    (And we support them too!)
    Not everyone is dooing 50% - thank God someone is fighting back!
    Yeah, they're making bucks!

Besides, anyone willing to spend $11G on a wedding supper can likely take it in the ass.
    Not like they (he) were expecting something of re-sellable value in the firth place anyhow...

I understand the aggrevation tho.
    Mrs. Ox "won" (earned) a trip to the Czech Republic for last April that never happened, and never will.
    The company had 90% of everything all paid for ahead of time and not getting any returns, so there will be no re-scheduling.
    She had some personal $ spent to get extra days too, with no return.
    To say that she is pissed would be an understatement.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    We’ve gone out to dinner every couple weeks. I’ve noticed our typical bill has gone up about 20%.

If they added a Covid surcharge instead of raising prices, would the surcharge go away eventually?
    Are you kidding?

Business's wanting to raise prices but are afraid to because of competition relish these kinds of "crises".

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope. We usually go to the little ma and pa places in town.
    Burger, fries, couple beers for me and the wife.
    Used to be about $35 after tip. Now it's about $43 after tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe we should just call it the " Government Incompetence Surcharge "

It'll go nice with the:
    Eco/Enviro-Fee
    Fuel Surcharge
    Paper Invoice Fee
    "Shop supplies"
    Regulatory surcharge

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Can't you file a lawsuit? Small claims is even up to $10,000 these days. I don't see how a judge would agree $11,000 worth of gift cards makes things square. I just Googled them they have locations in a half dozen high rent districts. I also find it strange their online menus do not show prices, I am guessing that means they are expensive.
    Yea this answer from them just came a few days ago. We're trying to figure out what to do next. It's complicated by the fact that we are in WV, The original restaurant that my wife contracted with is where my daughter lives in DC (but now closed), and their HQ is in NYC. We'll see. I put put a comment on their latest Instagram post last night warning of doing catering business with them because ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t mind. The owner and his employees are just trying to stay afloat.
    Just like me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    Yea this answer from them just came a few days ago. We're trying to figure out what to do next. It's complicated by the fact that we are in WV, The original restaurant that my wife contracted with is where my daughter lives in DC (but now closed), and their HQ is in NYC. We'll see. I put put a comment on their latest Instagram post last night warning of doing catering business with them because ...
    Maybe if you raise a stink they will make it right, they could have just been seeing if you would bite on their lowball offer. You should be able to sue them anywhere they have a presence, DC is obviously the closest to you, but all their US locations are in bad traffic areas other than Las Vegas. I think I would issue a warning before spreading the bad word to see if they will cough up the $$$. I read their NYC place grossed $33 mil in 2017 and they are all owned by the same company. There are places that buy gift cards, but for $11k of Carmine's I doubt you would even get 50%.

13. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    We’ve gone out to dinner every couple weeks. I’ve noticed our typical bill has gone up about 20%.

If they added a Covid surcharge instead of raising prices, would the surcharge go away eventually?
    I notice lunch specials are more often than not cancelled for takeouts also. Makes sense. If a place gives really good service people are pretty happy as long as there are not any unmentioned changes sprung on them. I suppose that might be unavoidable given reality.

Lawyer to write them a letter demanding repayment would be ok. First explaining that you expect to be repaid first as you have. They can try to negotiate a different way to pay and of course you are right to refuse that. In the end all they have to do is just turn around and raise prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Lawyer to write them a letter demanding repayment would be ok. First explaining that you expect to be repaid first as you have. They can try to negotiate a different way to pay and of course you are right to refuse that. In the end all they have to do is just turn around and raise prices.
    That's an idea. They could start a new trend, instead of name dropping and codes applied for discounts at checkout as many places do they could tell customers on their mailing lists to just mention "I want the Pete's special" when paying the bill and they would automatically be charged an extra 10% to cover all money they collected from deposits where they did not render service. They could end up nationwide famous.

16. Likes Ox, Trueturning liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same thread, similar point. Auction "Buyers Premiums" have gone up over the years and things seem to continue to get bought at auctions. No place to complain where any ears hearing it will respond? Just pay more. And auction notices have increased a lot lately, both in emails and snail mail brochures. I wonder if restaurant auctions have increased? I bet.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You should be able to sue them anywhere they have a presence,
    No, there are rules about standing and jurisdiction. He is probably limited to his own city, the city where the transaction was made, and possibly the city of the headquarters of the company. Ianal but in general that's how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That like a machine shop with no work raising there shop rate because they cant pay the overhead, insanity...Phil

20. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone in the building trades here has more than doubled prices,to soak up the generous government grants for work that must kick off before 31 Dec 2020.....I have a contract price on a slab for a new shed ,and the concreter is inspecting the site,telling me how hard he s been hit by the virus.......but ,he cant start for four weeks.....hes going on a half price holiday in tropical North Queensland.(other 50% subsidised by the state govt to help tourism)

22. Likes Ox, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    No, there are rules about standing and jurisdiction. He is probably limited to his own city, the city where the transaction was made, and possibly the city of the headquarters of the company. Ianal but in general that's how it works.
    Too these different locations likely are individually operated maybe like a franchise or similar arrangement. One goes under then it does not effect the others as they are insulated and the place that can not make a profit goes away. All kinds of legal things may be mixed in there. If they make big money they can hire great contract lawyers. They likely wish to cut their losses and liabilities at one point or another all perhaps perfectly legal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    That like a machine shop with no work raising there shop rate because they cant pay the overhead, insanity...Phil
    Auto mechanic shops do that. Desperation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With Covid 19 I would expect them to add 19% covid charge to the bill. Do they charge extra for Corona beer at the bars now?
    Bil lD

26. Likes Ox liked this post