What's new
What's new

O.T. US.P.S. Is Failing to function.

m-lud

Stainless
I would hate to see you owners that run a business get a customers parts or supplies tied up with U.S.P.S. There is an alert on the tracking page giving covid as a reason for employee shortage. Warn the customer before they ship a package or dont accept what you can't deliver.
I asked why they continue to accept packages that they cant deliver. I get a thick hand full of junk mail daily that I have to shred before throwing it in the trash.

They are in freefall without a parachute.

Below is the tracking history on a package that was sent too me on Jan. 20. I have spent a total of over 3 hours on hold. Opened a case which is a waste of time.
They say my package isn't lost. Its been in St. Louis 30 miles away for 8 days.
What the hell.
I am friends with the local postmaster. He said that tractor trailers are sitting in parking lots full of mail.
I'm not in urgent need of the package but expect to get delivery.
The package is a spanner wrench sent by a forum members family machine shop. They mailed it promptly. Post office failed

:mad5:
===========================================================================

February 10, 2021

In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
clip_image002.png

February 8, 2021, 2:04 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAINT LOUIS MO DISTRIBUTION CENTER
clip_image002.png

February 8, 2021, 1:13 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
clip_image002.png

February 7, 2021, 3:24 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
clip_image002.png

February 4, 2021, 3:37 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAINT LOUIS MO DISTRIBUTION CENTER
clip_image002.png

February 3, 2021, 10:32 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
clip_image002.png

13 day gap.

January 20, 2021, 10:04 pm

Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
NORFOLK VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
clip_image002.png

January 20, 2021, 8:53 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
NORFOLK VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
clip_image002.png

January 20, 2021, 7:38 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
PORTSMOUTH, VA 23707
January 19, 2021, 9:53 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
PORTSMOUTH, VA 23707

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, and I buy quite a lot of stuff online, The vast majority of it gets shipped via USPS.

I keep hearing the stories of doom and gloom, but I have had exactly 2 problems in the last year.

One, a package sent to me, finally got here about 3 weeks late.

The other, a package that I mailed out, evidently got separated from its mailing label-the USPS sent the label back to me in a letter.

I filed a claim on that package and was reimbursed for the full value of the package and the postage cost.

So, I'd say a lot of it comes down to luck, and location, probably. But I'm quite happy with USPS.

I would hate to see you owners that run a business get a customers parts or supplies tied up with U.S.P.S. There is an alert on the tracking page giving covid as a reason for employee shortage. Warn the customer before they ship a package or dont accept what you can't deliver.
I asked why they continue to accept packages that they cant deliver. I get a thick hand full of junk mail daily that I have to shred before throwing it in the trash.

They are in freefall without a parachute.

How about $18,000 total worth of two "DRS" certificates for a common stock as will go 30 days come Monday, Front Royal VA & Sterling/Dulles off Louisville, KY... and were not even sent-out as "tracked"?

MEANWHILE the third heir's tranches have been arriving a week earlier, Niles, MI off Grand Rapids bulk-break, then Kalamazoo -> the great metropolis of Niles-on-the-ash-heaps.

Yes, Pilgrims, USPS is in "regionally-selective" AND class-of-mail selective deep doo doo.

$28-buck per-each legal docs @ uber-premium trackable arrived next-day Sterling/Dulles -> Leesburg, & Front Royal, early 2d day, Niles.

FedEx & UPS are both handing all this far more adroitly.

Then again they only even HAVE "a business" because 'better than USPS' is what they have ALWAYS sold, and they have to bust-ass to prove they mean it ... or go hungry.

I also buy off of ebay and my luck isn't all bad. This is my third similar experience in recent months.
Ebay sellers are now using some less expensive mail (Smart Post) that travels to six or seven states east of my state when It was ordered west of me before it gets back to me. How is that saving money for USPS or good for the customer.
E-trailer is 20 miles away and shipped from there too four other states before getting here. Their loosing money. ,wonder why.

So, I'd say a lot of it comes down to luck, and location
========================================,

I'm centered right in the center of the country. Luck shouldn't be a factor and my location is central.

The St. Louis regional center and the St. Louis regional destination center have played hot potato with my wrench for ten days. That may be within the same building.IDK
I'm boycotting shipping USPS unless there is not any other option. I'm sure that wont hurt their profits but it wont help.

USPS is not consistent and unreliable.

Shipping even a small amount of packages to clients that have expectations of receiving parts in a timely manner is long gone when using USPS.

Certain regions and poor service is the norm.

What's your point? I don't think your telling us anything we don't know, why you decided to waste your time on hold, and opened a claim are baffling. Your package is one of millions having the same thing happen to them, kind of common knowledge these days. There have been plenty of posts right on PM about shipping issues. USPS follows typical Federal government protocol, labor shortage issues don't resolve themselves quickly like in a private business, they take 2-3 months to fill positions, even if they hired a lot of extra help there are space issues.

To make matters worse UPS and Fedex have been dropping an unprecedented amount of packages on them. The local post office counter lady showed me a picture of the local hub, huge piles of packages as far as the eye can see. The distance a package travels makes little difference in how late they are as the hubs are the major bottlenecks.

What's your point? I don't think your telling us anything we don't know, why you decided to waste your time on hold, and opened a claim are baffling. Your package is one of millions having the same thing happen to them, kind of common knowledge these days. There have been plenty of posts right on PM about shipping issues. USPS follows typical Federal government protocol, labor shortage issues don't resolve themselves quickly like in a private business, they take 2-3 months to fill positions, even if they hired a lot of extra help there are space issues.

To make matters worse UPS and Fedex have been dropping an unprecedented amount of packages on them. The local post office counter lady showed me a picture of the local hub, huge piles of packages as far as the eye can see. The distance a package travels makes little difference in how late they are as the hubs are the major bottlenecks.

The local postmaster did say that FedEx and UPS was dumping a large volume on them
The tracking history that I posted shows repeat scanning at one location for days on end. That's a different issue than manpower.

I didn't intend to repeat a well covered subject. I dont follow all the different sub forums and hadn't seen the subject. My apologies

The local postmaster did say that FedEx and UPS was dumping a large volume on them
The tracking history that I posted shows repeat scanning at one location for days on end. That's a different issue than manpower.

I didn't intend to repeat a well covered subject. I dont follow all the different sub forums and hadn't seen the subject. My apologies

The repeat scanning is nonsense, my neighbor is an ex USPS supervisor, he said there are defaults built into the system that can cause the tracking to become inaccurate if a package has been sitting untouched for too long. I recently had a package appear to be going backward. No one is arguing that the post office isn't a big mess right now, some of it is beyond their control. In my neck of the woods UPS sucks, during "inclement" weather they dump packages on USPS well before Covid. Their definition of inclement is a joke, 1-2" of snow or a couple inches of water on the road from a creek over flowing and they won't complete delivery. Fedex seems pretty reliable but most places I buy from ship UPS.

We send packages most days, most of them USPS, many out of the country. In the last year or so we had one USPS package go MIA a month ago in Salt Lake City for about a week, the customer has his box but tracking still shows it in SLC. We have not had any lost by UPS but sometimes it takes several days to get them to pick it up unless we call the drivers cell in the am which has become the norm and is working well at this point but using UPS's system does not. Fed Ex has been the best service wise but generally is more expensive for the small items we send. We are located way off the beaten path but are fairly happy with all 3 for the most part.

apart from the other factors - like increased amounts of packages overall due to pandemic, there is the thing of the virus itself sticking on surfaces and traveling with stuff to new locations, then some driver touches the package, picks his nose a minute later and you have a new incubator and spreader in works

I'm not saying they have deliberate delays, but they should, I know I would have at least proposed something like this had I been in charge of handling this crisis there, mandatory storage for 2-3 days for the possible virus to die off, hopefully preventing (or at least trying to) the virus via this path

Over here we also have delays, stuff that used to take about a week to get to me from Germany or UK, now takes 3 weeks minimum, last package I got from UK arrived 5 weeks after the seller posted it...

Every domestic order I shipped in the past month has gone thru on-time, I have two International orders that are both in limbo and past the 10 day delivery estimate.

Are those domestics headed the same direction? It seems not all hubs are created equal and for me strangely enough outbound USPS seems to spend a longer average time at the local hub than the inbound items.

Are those domestics headed the same direction? It seems not all hubs are created equal and for me strangely enough outbound USPS seems to spend a longer average time at the local hub than the inbound items.

Nope, east coast/west coast/carcinogenic coast/north central/south central.

Just got back from post office with a pile of boxes from various locations across the US, all ordered since last sunday, combination of ebay and members here, honestly thought most would not be here till next week.

Every domestic order I shipped in the past month has gone thru on-time, I have two International orders that are both in limbo and past the 10 day delivery estimate.
Internationally, there's a giant lack of passenger airplanes to put stuff on. At least they tell us here at the post office that EMS has no guarantees on time these days, since the number of flights is much fewer.

I don't think that affects UPS and Fedex, they can still run as many planes as they need.

FedEx is worse for me. Watched the tracking on one and it headed 400 miles south before going toward me, then it went 50 miles north of me. and then the post office delivered it.
USPS has been good so far.

Dave

FedEx is worse for me. Watched the tracking on one and it headed 400 miles south before going toward me, then it went 50 miles north of me. and then the post office delivered it.
USPS has been good so far.

Dave

That would be Fedex Smartpost, I have never used it, I have used USPS Surepost (ship with usps, they pass it to Fedex). Little bit of info Is FedEx SmartPost too Slow? Here are the Facts.

mandatory storage for 2-3 days for the possible virus to die off, hopefully preventing (or at least trying to) the virus via this path

Had family in from Hong Kong as had beat the incoming shut-down by but a day or three, then were trapped HERE whilst I need to get documents to the Court.
Cut a deal for a delay 'til after they had cleared-back, arranged to pay a "late" penalty in a friendly manner.

Did the research, special wrapped em, oven baked 'em for four hours @ 140 F.

Per the lab, 130 F for 20 minutes is usually good enuf. Advised the recipient to glove-up, mask-up, shed the outer two wrappers. No real risk.

Can we afford that on a per-item basis?

Not really. Nor a need to.

Virus get broken down at room temp or outdoors, anyway. Just takes longer and is harder to predict.

That would be Fedex Smartpost,

That is just horrible, been horrible for years. Every single thing I've had
shipped to me with FedEx "smart"post has taken 2-3 weeks. It goes to Phoenix,
bounces all around Phoenix, then gets shipped to Denver, and does a circuitous
route of Denver, then back to Phoenix, around in circles again, and then FINALLY
somebody gets the bright idea to send it to El Paso, and I get it the next day.

Its the same thing every single time. Every time. No matter where it comes from,
Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver. Been like that for a good dozen years now.

Back