Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    I don't really get all the hypernegativity in the responses so far.

It sounds like you have worked with the son long enough on the shop floor to know what kind of a person he is, and if you are talking objectively and accurately about the old foreman then weeding him out and giving someone else a chance sounds completely rational.

I can see no reason not to go for it if you have faith in the son and in yourself. There are three possible outcomes, either you'll be looking for a new job sooner, or looking for a new job later, or it will be a success.
    Thanks for the positivity. I trust the son, as I said hes smart. Im not saying it will be an easier and smooth transition, I am not that naive.

And yeah, the current foreman has a long history. A lot of issues have recently come to light that I dont care to get into on here but they include theft and prepositioning a spot for himself in a competing shop and doing work for THEM at OUR shop on the SIDE amongst many other things. As I said further up, he dug his hole. I do not trust him enough to lend him a center punch.

He knows changes are coming but as far as I know he doesnt know anyone knows about his “dealings” and theft. Though, I think deep down he may know the gig is up.

2. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it could be a good opportunity, and you may really not have a choice, if not you, who? If someone else, you may be the one to go.

As mentioned, it will be good experience no matter what, and good for the resume

Do you have friends there?
    Not anymore.

You can be friendly, but cannot appear biased. Can you fire the person you like the most in the shop?

I was never very good at asking for what I wanted. How you get setup [pay etc] will define things going forward. Be clear on responsibilities and purview. If you feel you need hire and fire, make sure you get it. If you don't want it, don't let them push it on you{IE WE don't need this guy, go fire him, but oh this guy is my bud, so let his drunk ass stay]

In the end make sure you are paid for the additional stress and BS. If you worked OT before, make sure you make enough in 40 to cover what you are used to making. Make sure they don't intend to have you run everything while they are on their boat[unless you are getting paid]

Are they getting rid of the other guy because they know he is crooked, or because he is expensive?

4. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steelsurgeon View Post
    He knows changes are coming but as far as I know he doesnt know anyone knows about his “dealings” and theft. Though, I think deep down he may know the gig is up.
    Well, now we just have to hope the other guy isn't a forum member.

I wonder how often someone recognizes their shop or situation from other posts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told to be thinking about salary and benefits I would want to stick around, be foreman and help the son get up and running. Looking for advice on what to ask for and advice on what to do as a foreman. I can say that I have a good idea of what not to do from watching my current foreman for 8 plus years. I am currently making $25/hr ($52k/year before taxes) as a lead man with a small profit share, 3 weeks of PTO time, and 4% IRA match.
    Regarding salary, figure out what a fair, to you, bump is. I'd be thinking in the neighborhood of 10-15% with an agreed on evaluation after xx months. It will be important to set clear expectations and goals. Make sure you understand what the metrics are that you'll be graded on. Also, work with the new owner to clearly establish boundaries so that you can do the job you need to do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Offered Foreman Position-Need Tips/Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Well, now we just have to hope the other guy isn't a forum member.

I wonder how often someone recognizes their shop or situation from other posts?
    I have tried to be vague as possible for that reason. It was a concern and to be honest their was instant regret the moment I hit the post button. I spent a few minutes trying to find a delete option but never did so oh well at this point. Haha

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have a decent crew that does not need shaping up then it seems to go to take the job.
    At 25 per and 52k, it seems that the shop works little overtime.

But you still have to put in the hours so should make more money than what you are now making. Is the current boss busy? With half crew, there may be half bossing needed. Guess you might ask what the current guy is making and if not 10% better you might do some serious thinking. Still having the being boss might help you land the next job.

Do you have the moxie to be boss and so be the tangle guy between management and the guys?

RE: {but they include theft and prepositioning a spot for himself in a competing shop and doing work for THEM at OUR shop on the SIDE amongst many other things.]
    It could be that some of the crew were in on shenanigans..
    Good, you keep that stuff to yourself as if you know nothing... except the company asked you to be the boss.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I do like about this situation is it is an opportunity to rebuild,
    Secondary consideration. Take the deal.

Best case, you do some good, maybe more than just 'some" are recognized for it, if not also rewarded.

PRIMARY is it puts the promotion "formally" onto your CV, higher compensation with it.

Your best reference? Copy to new employer of first and last pay-stub.

Decline the deal?

Off you go, later if not sooner, looking for work. And you do NOT have the promotion to foreman on the record.

See why I say "take the deal"?

I spent but 3 years with Esterline Medical. Not because of anything I did or failed to do. Because Gerhard Andlinger left. One of several Harold Geneen former direct reports I had the privilege of having as mentors.

Gerry gone, FNG replacement a fool? Same to me as a 50% PAY CUT! MOST top executives were gone for better deals before the year was out, first three of us within 3 months. OUR choice, too!

10. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have tried to be vague as possible for that reason. It was a concern and to be honest their was instant regret the moment I hit the post button. I spent a few minutes trying to find a delete option but never did so oh well at this point. Haha
    Next time you (or anyone else) is in this situation, change your location to a state that is far away before posting "sensitive" info. That way even if the other party is reading it....
    Or do it now with the thought he did not find this thread yet.

12. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Next time you (or anyone else) is in this situation, change your location to a state that is far away before posting "sensitive" info. That way even if the other party is reading it....
    Or do it now with the thought he did not find this thread yet.
    To late! I've figured out the OP is talking about me being the baddie, and oohh am I pissed!! I'll give him a stern talking-to when I come in on Monday, along with my notice as I've found a great new job at the local Burger King.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To late! I've figured out the OP is talking about me being the baddie, and oohh am I pissed!! I'll give him a stern talking-to when I come in on Monday, along with my notice as I've found a great new job at the local Burger King.
    See you gave yourself away. We dont have a burger king.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

See you gave yourself away. We dont have a burger king.
    Well, yeah! I know enough not to give all the clues...

[It's really an IHOP]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OT: My son was asked to take his boss's job over a year ago and he turned the offer down. The old boss is still in place. He, the boss doesn't know about the offer because my son is smart enough to keep it on the OT.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I call Bullshit.

The only skill your have left is demonstrating the debilitating effects of "TDS".

And it isn't being "downsized", moved to some other state, nor - with all the s**t you spew , could you possibly get a "food handler" certificate.

"Pissed" I'll give yah.. But you shudda had more direction in your life.

"TDS" only gets you pissed on. "Orange man bad".

ipse dixit

Most folks would agree it is better to be pissed-off.

A gift Quid-Pro-Beijing Joe Buyed-in is bestowing on the whole country, given his minders can't agree with themselves two whole 30 minute days in a row.

Wotta mensch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only downside is the present foreman. Why hasn't he been fired yet? Not so much thinking about what he'd do to the op, but the savvy of the new owner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the Op is innocent of any wrongdoing if the company came to him with the plan and offer.

Yes, if the Op instigated the event with any of his actions such as accusing the boss of wrongdoings then his come-up-ins may be due.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    "Got nothing to lose" ...wonder if the present foreman has guns?.An AR maybe...hi cap mag?....do you have a nice fitting ballistic vest?
    So...if the OP stayed on with the new owner, but just as his same job (on the floor)....would the now canned foreman still want to "go postal" ?

The soon to be outed foreman is a separate issue.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    So...if the OP stayed on with the new owner, but just as his same job (on the floor)....would the now canned foreman still want to "go postal" ?
    That's usually "finessed". It's a downsizing. A new organization. It gets played as such.

So he gets "a" raise, "a" new title, but not necessarily "Foreman" right away. Might be "Senior Leadman" to start.

Six months out, another "adjustment" off the back of success. As high as "Manufacturing Manager" or "Assistant Plant Manager", later.

BTDTGTTS, both sides of the equation and above - recipient & grantor, both. [1]

Because if there IS NO "good health" to the business? They won't be able to afford it. Regardless of good intentions.

Not having already sorted a sub-optimal lead person is NOT a sign of good health, of course. But that's being left behind already. Regardless.

More than one way to skin a cat. As expected, the cat can be forgiven for classing ALL of them "dead wrong!". Literally.

[1] One old "Day Job", a full-time night-shift forklift operator, US Government Printing Office - where they use paper 24 X 7 by the forklift load - took a part-time "daytime" gig with us as driver for general go-fetch and delivery.

Grumbled he was a human being, had a name, didn't LIKE being referred to as "the driver".

Founder and owner presented him with his own bizness cards - with his NAME on them.
    And a new title:

Vice President
    Outside Wheels

And so we were all told to address him! All were happy and in good cheer!
    "the driver" included! Not sure any of us ever did twig to his name, though?

Cheap enough, those biz cards. Among other things? It was a well-equipped printing firm!

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The current foreman is salary but anything over 40 is straight time not time and a half. A modified salary I guess is what it is called. He still clocks in and out and is paid based off of hours worked.
    That is not salary. That's getting screwed over for any hours after 40! AND I don't think it's even legal to not pay overtime after 40 hours. Taking the job or not, I would never agree to that. It's either salary xx per week, or hourly and punching a clock and getting overtime after 40 hours.

24. Likes Homebrewblob, AARONT, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    "Got nothing to lose" ...wonder if the present foreman has guns?.An AR maybe...hi cap mag?....do you have a nice fitting ballistic vest?
    Or he could run them over with a car, bring a very large knife to work (get it? “To work”? Because he’s gonna be putting in work with it!)

Or a triad of other possibilities for hurting/killing a juicy meat bag we call humans.

Don’t go right to bullshiting about guns especially when your in a country that took all the guns.

You good at knife fights over there yet?
    If these men are serious about protection then any mad man with a gun ain’t the only guy packing.

I carry everywhere period. I don’t enter police stations for that reason.

This is a discussion about a mans career in America not the outback matey

26. Likes digger doug, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That is not salary. That's getting screwed over for any hours after 40! AND I don't think it's even legal to not pay overtime after 40 hours. Taking the job or not, I would never agree to that. It's either salary xx per week, or hourly and punching a clock and getting overtime after 40 hours.
    Agreed, I wouldn’t stick around to finish an interview after hearing that BS