What's new
What's new

Oil crash hitting us hard in the Houston area

pgmrmike

Hot Rolled
Getting real bad here. Hundreds of thousands of oilfield workers laid off, don't know how many machinists. Shops are closing left and right. We laid off half of our small shop ( 5 guys ) 2 weeks ago. Besides my small product I havent had a single job on my machine ( side business ) since November. Im at the point that I dont know what to do. Everything here is oil related. I have been talking to everyone I know about finding work in another field with no luck. Starting the search for a Manufacturing Rep. Any ideas?

If you have any research universities nearby, try finding contacts in the labs that would need mechanical work done, including design, machining, repairs, etc. It can be a little tricky getting in, but there's a lot of interesting work being done at many schools.

Getting real bad here. Hundreds of thousands of oilfield workers laid off, don't know how many machinists. Shops are closing left and right. We laid off half of our small shop ( 5 guys ) 2 weeks ago. Besides my small product I havent had a single job on my machine ( side business ) since November. Im at the point that I dont know what to do. Everything here is oil related. I have been talking to everyone I know about finding work in another field with no luck. Starting the search for a Manufacturing Rep. Any ideas?
auto makers are fairly busy. good luck joining the union if they will allow you to join

Are you limiting yourself to the Houston area, or are you willing to move? In any event, it won't be to Kansas. Not only is oil dead, but so is agriculture. Aircraft isn't any better.

On edit:
This evening I just had a friend stop in for advice. He works in the largest local employer for 50 miles. He, along with everyone else, got their 90 day layoff letter today. They make (made) equipment for coal fired power plants.

Last edited:
That's oil, I'm sure you know that. Leverage the small product into more, and go into self-sustenance mode. If you've got cash and are in the Houston area for the long haul, look for pennies on the dollar deals for oil specialty equipment - pipe threading, etc.. Then pray for, and be ready to go for the next oil boom.

Short of that, move.

Sorry for the not so positive post, but its just a reality of the current market. I know geophysics Phd's looking for school system teaching jobs in the Houston area right now. I do hope things change and go well for you.

This is the downside of being heavily tied to one industry. When they thrive so do you but when they crash they take a lot with them. Nearly every industry has been hit at one time or another and the damage can even extend into food service and other retailers.

I don't really know what advice to give except to think of other products you might make and even look at other fields such as "green energy" that might need parts made.

Good Luck. Economic downturns truly suck when you are caught in one.

If you have any research universities nearby, try finding contacts in the labs that would need mechanical work done, including design, machining, repairs, etc. It can be a little tricky getting in, but there's a lot of interesting work being done at many schools.

Excellent idea, thanks

auto makers are fairly busy. good luck joining the union if they will allow you to join

I wasnt real clear, I still have my regular job ( at the moment ) though that may change at any moment.

Are you limiting yourself to the Houston area, or are you willing to move? In any event, it won't be to Kansas. Not only is oil dead, but so is agriculture. Aircraft isn't any better.

I am pretty well planning on staying here. I have primary custody of my 2 oldest kids and cant legally move away from their mother.

That's oil, I'm sure you know that. Leverage the small product into more, and go into self-sustenance mode. If you've got cash and are in the Houston area for the long haul, look for pennies on the dollar deals for oil specialty equipment - pipe threading, etc.. Then pray for, and be ready to go for the next oil boom.

Short of that, move.

Sorry for the not so positive post, but its just a reality of the current market. I know geophysics Phd's looking for school system teaching jobs in the Houston area right now. I do hope things change and go well for you.

Thats pretty much my plan though now I am running short on cash. Machines are super cheap here right now. Oil has always been up and down but this is by far the worst I have seen it. I missed the one in the 80s ( born in '75 ) and we have had some lows since I started machining in 1993 but this is apocalyptic. I have been trying to stay positive knowing that with so many shops closing there will be more work for me when it comes back but its wearing on me.

My sympathies. Same thing happened in the mid '80s when I was there, and I just had to leave. You're saying you can't, though.

I lived thru the crash of '80s. Took nearly 10 years to reach the level I was at the time of the crash. Crash in the nineties didn't hurt me as much. Major customer went from over 300 to less than 20 people, total, in a molding facility. They're back in the toilet again. I've done about $500.00 with them this year. Pretty consistent, though, $100.00 a month, every month.

I don't expect to see any significant improvement for several years. Not helping my retirement fund.

It's terrible all over I'm feeling some major pain here to and I didn't have oil work I was dreaming of high end oil and aerospace. If your getting paid at the minute long may it last cut down your costs build a cash stockpile and ride the storm. I can remember 2008 my god things were bad my sales droped about 80% took nearly 5 years to bounce back and now here we go again global slowdown.

I'm not so sure it is the oil slowdown. I think its deeper than that. I think it the beginning of the effect of the affordable care act.

I figured someone should derail this and why not me.

Facebook ads keeping telling me everyday we are headed for the super economic crash of a lifetime, just gotta buy the guy's book to survive it.

Things may be picking back up in the petro biz. I do some tooling work for a company that is really big into instrumentation on drilling platforms and other petro related applications. They bottomed out last year, but they are going wide open now..

Things may be picking back up in the petro biz. I do some tooling work for a company that is really big into instrumentation on drilling platforms and other petro related applications. They bottomed out last year, but they are going wide open now..

The place I'm working at builds tongs for making and breaking drill strings. we're not working any overtime but the work is pretty steady. I don't think things will get much better until next year.

I know of a shop in Victoria that cuts drill pipe that can probably use someone to run the shop.

Back