What's new
What's new

Oil related shops, how are yall doing?

pgmrmike

Hot Rolled
Just checking in with those that do work for the oil and gas industry. Looks like its going to be rough for a while. How are yall doing, feeling?

Isn't that dependent on new construction? I would expect that to start slowing down.

Uncle lives NW of FT Worth in the sticks. Was down there to visit in the fall, land prices are through the roof and new subdivisions popping up everywhere you look in what used to be pasture. Seems people are fleeing the west coast libtard states in droves.

Surprisingly still a lot better than I was expecting, I can only assume most of it are big long term projects that today's low oil prices don't matter 10-30years down the road. The resource is there and we'll use every drop of it sooner or later.

It's mostly the small companies that were in a ton of debt and high production costs that are taking the big beating and going under, but most of those in Canada already vanished the last 5 years, there wasn't much left to kill off up here and we have 4 political parties doing all they can to finish it off for good. Many drillers also long moved to the US.

Expounding on the oil field drying up: down hole rubber products are dead, wife's royalties are minuscule -- $31.15 last three months as opposed to the usual $378.00.

My oilfield side of the business is pretty much gone away, i build injection pump parts, 208fm replacement parts and pump jack parts. The factory work i do is slow as well,all but one of my customers are closed. Later Jason

Uncle lives NW of FT Worth in the sticks. Was down there to visit in the fall, land prices are through the roof and new subdivisions popping up everywhere you look in what used to be pasture. Seems people are fleeing the west coast libtard states in droves.

That is funny, A buddy of mine moved to Idaho panhandle a few years ago and he is constantly complaining about out of state people moving in (he is one of them :nutter:) and he sees as many Texas license plates if not more, than California, Not to many from Oregon and Washington, maybe not far enough away?

I handle some accounts in Oil and Gas and can confirm my customers who supply directly to downhole applications, and those "upstream" are very slow. I have customers that are more in the mid and downstream supply chain and they are still placing orders (though apprehensively) as many of their projects range from 1-2 years in length. They have contracts out to 2022.

Best wishes to those who are getting crushed in downhole and upstream right now - it sucks. I would imagine some of you have gone through this before.

I am actually transitioning industries and careers right now as I open up a manufacturing company that will NOT rely on oil and gas for our product lines. Not sure that's a great move in this wild world we live in, but I'm convinced with a little bit of luck and intelligence, and a lot of hard work - We'll make it.

Regards,

Rollerman13

I do not have a single PO in house for ANY of the energy customers we have.
:(
I have a COD order for some downhole parts, completed mid March.
This company is COD and I make sure they have a check ready to go, when I deliver.
(during the 2014 crunch, they ran up about 50K in invoices, and didn't pay for almost a year)
The company has yet to respond to my emails with an invoice, nor when I should deliver.

Small, directional drilling company, probably overextended, or much less in the coffers.
If not for water treatment, and non-energy segments, we would be dead.

I do not have a single PO in house for ANY of the energy customers we have.
:(
I have a COD order for some downhole parts, completed mid March.
This company is COD and I make sure they have a check ready to go, when I deliver.
(during the 2014 crunch, they ran up about 50K in invoices, and didn't pay for almost a year)
The company has yet to respond to my emails with an invoice, nor when I should deliver.

Small, directional drilling company, probably overextended, or much less in the coffers.
If not for water treatment, and non-energy segments, we would be dead.

Dang I hate to hear that, Doug. Hope it wasnt too big of an order they are stiffing you on. Hopefully when it comes back they will need it again. I have been lucky and havent been stiffed yet. ( well, I say that but one customer owes me $37k and is past 60 days... ) I have been getting very little from the oil related shops, just a job here and there.

I have one customer that supplies the food processing industry and have gotten a bit from him. Mostly 1pc stuff, program for an hour and setup/run for 2hrs, but glad to have it.

Laid off my employee a few weeks ago. Probably held on to him too long, cost me several thousand dollars I am gunna need..... Literally did $300 last week.

Doesn't domestic oil production go in a lot of boom and bust cycles?

Dang I hate to hear that, Doug. Hope it wasnt too big of an order they are stiffing you on. Hopefully when it comes back they will need it again. I have been lucky and havent been stiffed yet. ( well, I say that but one customer owes me $37k and is past 60 days... ) I have been getting very little from the oil related shops, just a job here and there.

I have one customer that supplies the food processing industry and have gotten a bit from him. Mostly 1pc stuff, program for an hour and setup/run for 2hrs, but glad to have it.

Laid off my employee a few weeks ago. Probably held on to him too long, cost me several thousand dollars I am gunna need..... Literally did $300 last week.

pgmrMike,

I hope the guys pays off the 37K!!
The COD order is only for $7.5K, and I do believe that they will want/need them eventually.

Sorry to hear you had to lay off your employee.:(

I had one of my guys turn in his notice, THE DAY BEFORE I was giving everyone 2 weeks PTO (which ended up being 4 weeks of PTO)
He even knew he was about to get a free 2 weeks..... Still asked for his final check.:nutter:
Oh well...

I was looking for a new shop lead in February, but most were not "the guy" for the position.
Now I will go back through the resumes to check out the guys I interviewed, but were under qualified to be a lead.
A few of them were (primarily) lathe guys.
If I don't hire someone ASAP... I may not get the entire PPP loan forgiven. (I received the funds Monday.:cool:)

BTW, I did pick up a nice PO from a customer who builds machines to support the Oil/Gas industry.
At least it is something. :cheers:

Doug.

Doesn't domestic oil production go in a lot of boom and bust cycles?
Yes it is a crazy world.
The booms like nothing most outside have ever seen. Work to be had out the kazoo. The bust more rapid than can be imagined.
At one time I had a customer in Texas or surrounding go bankrupt every day, sometimes two or three.
That my introduction to way it runs. Until then I thought auto was bad on ups and downs.
Those in it a long time used to it. Those only in for the last up cycle not so prepared.
It always seems to rebound but the trough can be deep and very dead.
Bob

pgmrMike,

I hope the guys pays off the 37K!!
The COD order is only for $7.5K, and I do believe that they will want/need them eventually.

Sorry to hear you had to lay off your employee.:(

I had one of my guys turn in his notice, THE DAY BEFORE I was giving everyone 2 weeks PTO (which ended up being 4 weeks of PTO)
He even knew he was about to get a free 2 weeks..... Still asked for his final check.:nutter:
Oh well...

I was looking for a new shop lead in February, but most were not "the guy" for the position.
Now I will go back through the resumes to check out the guys I interviewed, but were under qualified to be a lead.
A few of them were (primarily) lathe guys.
If I don't hire someone ASAP... I may not get the entire PPP loan forgiven. (I received the funds Monday.:cool:)

BTW, I did pick up a nice PO from a customer who builds machines to support the Oil/Gas industry.
At least it is something. :cheers:

Doug.

Are you in Conroe by chance?

Just curious as I interviewed at a place in that area that was a big oil/gas shop... But that was probably 6-7 years ago

Yes it is a crazy world.
The booms like nothing most outside have ever seen. Work to be had out the kazoo. The bust more rapid than can be imagined.
At one time I had a customer in Texas or surrounding go bankrupt every day, sometimes two or three.
That my introduction to way it runs. Until then I thought auto was bad on ups and downs.
Those in it a long time used to it. Those only in for the last up cycle not so prepared.
It always seems to rebound but the trough can be deep and very dead.
Bob

Yeah, In May of '82, I had $50K in rubber mold orders cancelled in one day. Plant that I worked with went from 275 to 14 employees in 2 months. Took several years for both of us to recover.

I remember multiple trips through the Texas panhandle in 2011-2012 while moving cross country a little at a time. In some areas it was a PITA to find lodging, lots of no vacancies. I also noticed even in the small towns there was lots of activity in sit down restaurants and drive thru windows,late into the night when most small towns are pretty deserted. Come to find out it was all because of new oil drilling. I remember it was rare then to find gas under $3 a gallon in any state. I think the cheapest gas I found was in New Mexico for $2.89 for regular.

Back