Oil related shops, how are yall doing? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    I had one of my guys turn in his notice, THE DAY BEFORE I was giving everyone 2 weeks PTO (which ended up being 4 weeks of PTO)
    He even knew he was about to get a free 2 weeks..... Still asked for his final check.
    Oh well...
    Was he a decent guy/left on good terms? Maybe he felt he was doing you a favor by not sucking up 2 free paid weeks and THEN quitting on you?

2. Likes I_AM_MACHINE liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Was he a decent guy/left on good terms? Maybe he felt he was doing you a favor by not sucking up 2 free paid weeks and THEN quitting on you?
    Sounds like he might have been that rare ethical individual that one hates to lose.
    We're not downhole dependent at all; if anything it's an inverse relationship—motorsports thrives in times of cheap gas. But when the patch booms they raid other shops' staff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The company I work for has laid off about 50 percent (250 people) of the workforce over the last 6-ish weeks. Those of us who survived got a 2-6% pay cut and a 2 week furlough. Many of our oil customers have (or soon will) shut down operations. Some are saying for the summer, some the rest of the year. Most of our oil products are for new wells, or for improving operations on existing wells.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Are you in Conroe by chance?

Just curious as I interviewed at a place in that area that was a big oil/gas shop... But that was probably 6-7 years ago
    Not us. lol
    There is nothing big about my operation.
    A couple of guys, myself, and a bookkeeper make up Vision Mfg.

We are in Spring. It is a northern suburb of the Houston metroplex, between downtown Houston and Conroe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes to the question about the oil field industry having ups and downs.

Which is one reason years ago we avoided direct oil field work and settled in on an industry that while not as lucrative in the short term, is steady through the decades.

I’m sure many on this Site remember the big turn down of the early ‘80’s. Back then, every other street corner in East Houston had a oil field related manufacturing facility. Just about all living on borrowed money.

When bottom fell out, the busiest people were the Chapter 11 folks and the padlock manufacturers.

From the time I was a young man until now, (73), We have always lived by a simple creed that stands the test of time.......”Just because a bank is willing to lend you money is not a good reason to borrow it”.

7. Likes Ox, SND, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JACKIE SCHMIDT View Post
    I’m sure many on this Site remember the big turn down of the early ‘80’s. Back then, every other street corner in East Houston had a oil field related manufacturing facility. Just about all living on borrowed money.
    When bottom fell out, the busiest people were the Chapter 11 folks and the padlock manufacturers.
    Oh for the boom days with a few cncs in every garage making parts. It was crazy with money to be made on all sides.
    So different from my old world of auto. Put a satellite carbide shop in Humble and just a whole new world. Customers not in a plant, this is a house with a garage.
    I so loved Houston even with the dam yankee thing.
    Then as if overnight, all the billboards around Houston being bankruptcy lawyers.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JACKIE SCHMIDT View Post
    ...”Just because a bank is willing to lend you money is not a good reason to borrow it”.
    I was looking at getting a mortgage, and the local bank said I could have much more than I was asking for, $375k was what they would loan me.

I said, "If I come in asking for that amount, shoot me"

10. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post