What's new
What's new

Okuma Genos machines on sale

as9100d

Stainless
So I see they have these machines on sale.

Who here has one of the Genos m560's? I was thinking about picking up 2-3 machines this month and at $99,900...Sure is tempting!

Also who here has or has used the non contact tool setters? May give it a try this go.

We have 2 doing S7 Tooling at Columbus Mckinnon Chattanooga plant and I had Jeremy quote 2 more after I seen the sale. We found out quick that the options are definitely still not on sale. By the time the basics were added, Offsets, Probe, Conveyor, 4th interface, and TSC it was back up to nearly $150K.

I'm looking at the following:

GENOS M560-V 15K (15.04 STD)
CONVEYOR, RIGHT, MICROHINGE 500, LNS
GAUGING INTERFACE, RENISHAW OMP/OTS

I may add 4th axis later. Just not sure which 4th axis unit at this time. We have TSC on a bunch of machines and hardly use them.

May end up pulling the trigger on a l250 lathe or two.

I may add 4th axis later. Just not sure which 4th axis unit at this time. We have TSC on a bunch of machines and hardly use them.

Make sure you read that long ass quote well. Even the wear comp is a paid option. Then, the exact same renishaw package that Haas sells for $5K is $10K from Okuma.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.23.14 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.23.38 AM.jpg

For me the ROI on the Okuma is just not there like it was five or ten years ago. We buy 3 to 6 VF2-SS's at a pop and get the 3+ machine 25% discount. For a loaded (P-Cool, TSC, Probing, HSM, and Conveyor) delivered is $61,252.05. So, We can get two almost three spindles making shop rate for the price of one Okuma. Yes, Okuma is a bit more accurate and maybe a touch faster in some applications but with some finesse the Haas can do just as good. At the end of the day both brands are making shop rate, Kinda hard to tell a customer that you have to charge more because the machine cost more.

The one big thing to keep in mind is Okuma is Big Plus. That's a whole new problem since you have a shop full of Haas. Okuma will not warranty spindles that had regular cat 40 holders in it. It's not so much the investment of buying new holders, it's trying to make sure a big plus doesn't get popped in a Haas or a regular cat 40 don't get popped in the Okuma. Somehow we managed to get two Doosans in with Big-Plus. This totally pissed me off, Here we have probably 2500 Bilz cat 40 tool heat shrink holders and another 1500 of miscellaneous cat 40 holders yet I was constantly bottlenecking because I had to order a tool that we already had 100 of.

Make sure you read that long ass quote well. Even the wear comp is a paid option. Then, the exact same renishaw package that Haas sells for $5K is $10K from Okuma.

View attachment 277775View attachment 277776

For me the ROI on the Okuma is just not there like it was five or ten years ago. We buy 3 to 6 VF2-SS's at a pop and get the 3+ machine 25% discount. For a loaded (P-Cool, TSC, Probing, HSM, and Conveyor) delivered is $61,252.05. So, We can get two almost three spindles making shop rate for the price of one Okuma. Yes, Okuma is a bit more accurate and maybe a touch faster in some applications but with some finesse the Haas can do just as good. At the end of the day both brands are making shop rate, Kinda hard to tell a customer that you have to charge more because the machine cost more.

The one big thing to keep in mind is Okuma is Big Plus. That's a whole new problem since you have a shop full of Haas. Okuma will not warranty spindles that had regular cat 40 holders in it. It's not so much the investment of buying new holders, it's trying to make sure a big plus doesn't get popped in a Haas or a regular cat 40 don't get popped in the Okuma. Somehow we managed to get two Doosans in with Big-Plus. This totally pissed me off, Here we have probably 2500 Bilz cat 40 tool heat shrink holders and another 1500 of miscellaneous cat 40 holders yet I was constantly bottlenecking because I had to order a tool that we already had 100 of.

I hear ya on the Haas.... There is a vf2 nearly new for $104k with a pallet changer I've had my eye on.

We need another small lathe and wanted another okuma, that's how I found out about the deals going on.

I'll say that I was able to negotiate some off the deal price to offset the probe so there is that.

$112,000 for the machine and options I posted.
$54,500 on the l250e-500

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I hear ya on the Haas.... There is a vf2 nearly new for $104k with a pallet changer I've had my eye on.

We need another small lathe and wanted another okuma, that's how I found out about the deals going on.

I'll say that I was able to negotiate some off the deal price to offset the probe so there is that.

$112,000 for the machine and options I posted.
$54,500 on the l250e-500

I saw this a few weeks ago and it caught my eye.

No one, they all got haas', saved a bunch of coin, got more options, and have better machines...:)
[emoji23][emoji23] idk about that. I have a an older m460 that spanks the Haas machines here. Just not worth it at $129,000 retail or whatever they cost now.

But at $99,900 we are talking about a much better roi!

Only vertical we buy now unless I need a BT30 Robodrill type

Very accurate, dependable machine. P300 control is awesome.

The 4th axis interface needs to be ordered with the knowledge of what your rotary will be.

Big Plus is hands down better than a non Big Plus.

Only vertical we buy now unless I need a BT30 Robodrill type

Very accurate, dependable machine. P300 control is awesome.

The 4th axis interface needs to be ordered with the knowledge of what your rotary will be.

Big Plus is hands down better than a non Big Plus.
I wish I could use a Haas rotary in it. I have 15 of them that hardly get used.

Is this just a warranty thing? I had a Doosan with a big-Plus spindle and ran normal cat40 holders in it for everything but the face mills and it worked just fine..

Probably a warranty thing. But not A big issue for us. I plan to buy all new big Kaiser tooling for them. We have already have some 1200 big Kaiser tools.

These machines are going in a separate building on the property and tooling can't get mixed up. May end up moving the other okumas over and having an all okuma building.

Back